First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SuperCrew
Occupation
Clinical Engineering
What would you do to a stock 2020 FX4 Ranger to improve off road capabilities without messing it up as a daily driver?
Sponsored

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
What would you do to a stock 2020 FX4 Ranger to improve off road capabilities without messing it up as a daily driver?
Shocks/level and more aggressive tires. That’s all you really need

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
First thing I did was get new tires and a 2" level. I went up one size to 265/70/17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers and they're great off road and still very quiet and smooth on the road. It's also going to depend on what type of off roading you're going to do and how often you're doing it? Personally I don't mind the Fx4 suspension but some don't like it so if you're going off road a lot you might want to invest in better shocks. If you're only going out once every few months than a level and the stock suspension should be fine.

The only time I found it "bouncy" was on a trail that was really rocky, I mean more so than any one I've been on and I wished I had something smoother on that one. Other then that the level has worked out fine. We were on some fire roads last week and doing some higher speed driving, 50-60 at times and the suspension was perfect with traction control off.

IMG_1405.jpg

IMG_2617.jpg

IMG_2622.jpg

Last edited:

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
So screw leveling kits as they are stupid and render a truck useless(yes I know I will get a lot of hate for this).

A good set of tire and a Practical Lift kit will do quite a bit!! I myself went with the Old Man EMU lift kit by ARB. I also have 285/70-17 Firestone Destination XT'S on stock wheels with no spacers. The overall handeling has improved with the suspension and the OffRoad capabilities are great!! Want to tow? Well you still can tow at factory towing capacity too!!

Here are some pictures of the truck with the tires and lift

0703211155_HDR.jpg

0620211521.jpg

0620211112.jpg

0626211310.jpg

0704210937.jpg

0529211359a_HDR.jpg

0803201851.jpg

OP
OP
sts90

sts90

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Clinical Engineering
AzScorpion and Frenchy,

Your pictures show about the extent of what I want to do currently. I have done a fair about of traveling by 2wd truck in places I should not have gone before my family. I am looking to do trails with my boys to see what is off the pavement. Maybe some camping as they get older because the boss likes her A/C. I am thinking the Ford fox 2.0. The I will go one size up in tires once these wear out. I picked the truck up used with 7,600 miles at a Subaru Dealership, So the tires will be a minute. I was told to replace the running boards with rock sliders to avoid body damage, that worth it?

Last edited:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
AzScorpion and Frenchy,

Your pictures show about the extent of what I want to do currently. I have done a fair about of traveling by 2wd truck in places I should not have gone before my family. I am looking to do trails with my boys to see what is off the pavement. Maybe some camping as they get older because the boss likes her A/C. I am thinking the Ford fox 2.0. The I will go one size up in tires once these wear out. I picked the truck up used with 7,600 miles at a Subaru Dealership, So the tires with be a minute.

I was told to replace the running boards with rock sliders to avoid body damage, that worth it?
Yes they are well worth it. If mine didn't already come with the factory steps that's the route I would've gone. I don't care for the steps and have scraped mine many times and if I weren't getting a Bronco next year I would replace them with sliders.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
AzScorpion and Frenchy,

Your pictures show about the extent of what I want to do currently. I have done a fair about of traveling by 2wd truck in places I should not have gone before my family. I am looking to do trails with my boys to see what is off the pavement. Maybe some camping as they get older because the boss likes her A/C. I am thinking the Ford fox 2.0. The I will go one size up in tires once these wear out. I picked the truck up used with 7,600 miles at a Subaru Dealership, So the tires with be a minute. I was told to replace the running boards with rock sliders to avoid body damage, that worth it?
Depending on the trail you may or may not need it. For me I have not needed it. Mostly for the fact that i have a good amount pf lift up front and in the back. Effective lift on my truck is 4 inchs front and 3 inches rear. And with that I have yet to hit much if anything.

OP
OP
sts90

sts90

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Clinical Engineering
Yes they are well worth it. If mine didn't already come with the factory steps that's the route I would've gone. I don't care for the steps and have scraped mine many times and if I weren't getting a Bronco next year I would replace them with sliders.
Which one's do you think are worth it? I like the ones with flare out past cab for a step to access my tool box better.

Bludrok

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ranger5g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
AzScorpion and Frenchy,

Your pictures show about the extent of what I want to do currently. I have done a fair about of traveling by 2wd truck in places I should not have gone before my family. I am looking to do trails with my boys to see what is off the pavement. Maybe some camping as they get older because the boss likes her A/C. I am thinking the Ford fox 2.0. The I will go one size up in tires once these wear out. I picked the truck up used with 7,600 miles at a Subaru Dealership, So the tires with be a minute. I was told to replace the running boards with rock sliders to avoid body damage, that worth it?

If you are doing any rock crawling, yes absolutely. If not, wont make a difference.

To your first question, you asked what I would do.......I tend to go overboard, see my build page. I started installing the Bumper/winch/light bar and pods tonight.

However, if you are just looking at dirt roads and the like, I dont even think you need to do anything. Having the FX4 gives you a rear locker, which is probably more than adequate.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
95 Isuzu trooper, AE86 corolla, 19 ranger XL
Occupation
video/film, small business owner
Rock sliders are great for peace of mind on the trail. Not necessary at all, and you can do some pretty rough trails without having to worry about it, but certainly comforting to have when you do get to some rocky sections.

Otherwise, I've been running on the just Eibach front shocks/level at the 2.25" setting (and stock springs) and it has been more than capable on any kind of terrain I've found in Colorado.

After almost 2 years I am finally changing out the rear shocks as well, and just installed an add-a-leaf to make up for all the weight I've added and get a little extra height/clearance.

Also, tires. They are the #1 most important thing to change out. Stick with the 32-33" range, and don't go too wide (I prefer real skinny, but certainly don't go wider than 285).

For reference, I did this "difficult" rated trail, with just a 2" spacer level kit and 32" tires (235/85r16) and no rock sliders or traction control. I would definitely not do a spacer level kit again, but at the time there weren't many options.

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
Why not drive it as-is and see how the stock suspension works for your location and driving style? If it needs new tires, buy some. I think that the most important off-road skill is knowing when to get out of the vehicle and walk. Off-road with kids means the most important thing is to get home in the same vehicle you left with. Over time, you may find that some suspension mods may get you just a little bit farther, but no vehicle can match a pair of hiking boots for getting past obstacles.

Charley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCrew XLT FX4 Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
1. Tires, the Hankooks did not work well for me. Plenty of different All terrain options. I went with 32 inch BFG KO2

2. Lift? maybe. Just depends on what your plans are. I went with the Ford 2 inch level kit, (2019-2021 RANGER FOX "TUNED BY FORD PERFORMANCE" OFF-ROAD SUSPENSION LEVELING KIT, M 18000-RA)

3. Rock rails. Once again, If you think you are headed toward trails with narrow widths and rocks, then yes. I have the shrockworks and they work. It would have been nice to have a set with the kick outs when I had the RTT mounted.

As mentioned by others, many a Ranger have been off road stock with very few problems.
With an FX4 model, you already have some basic under body skid plates. And I believe a stock ranger did the big 3 Colorado passes, Black Bear, Ophir and Imogene.

Edited to correct that I leveled, not lifted. Though to level I had to lift. Such a quandry.

Last edited:

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
1. Tires, the Hankooks did not work well for me. Plenty of different All terrain options. I went with 32 inch BFG KO2

2. Lift? maybe. Just depends on what your plans are. I went with the Ford 2 inch.
3. Rock rails. Once again, If you think you are headed toward trails with narrow widths and rocks, then yes. I have the shrockworks and they work. It would have been nice to have a set with the kick outs when I had the RTT mounted.

As mentioned by others, many a Ranger have been off road stock with very few problems.
With an FX4 model, you already have some basic under body skid plates. And I believe a stock ranger did the big 3 Colorado passes, Black Bear, Ophir and Imogene.
Yeah..... Soooooo Ford does not have a lift kit available in thier parts accessories for the Ranger. Now they do offer a leveling kit!!

Skoth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT
Tires is the first thing to do. A small piece of vegetation (a weed) punctured the sidewall of one of my factory Hankook tires a week after I bought it. I was slowly driving through a grassy field. Yes, that's all it took. My go to truck tire is the Falken Wildpeak AT3W. They work in snow, mud, rock and on the highway. They also self clean very well. I went with 10plys because I drive over a lot of sharp granite rock when I'm offroading
Sponsored