First Name
Alberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Tradesman
With vehicle thefts surging, is it worth getting an ignition lock for the Ranger?

I hear of pick ups being a top choice. Does anyone have any insight on the #'s?
Sponsored

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
No. Rangers are so rare out in the wild that most certified POS's (technical term for "thief") don't even know what a Ranger is... well except for the tail light assholes.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
With vehicle thefts surging, is it worth getting an ignition lock for the Ranger?

I hear of pick ups being a top choice. Does anyone have any insight on the #'s?
I’ve not heard of one being stolen since I’ve been on this forum. Also, the pickup thefts in T.O. seem to be full size Fords and Rams. The thieves are shipping them overseas to markets where you either can’t easily get a full size pickup or the VAT is outrageously high.

These also tend to be markets where the Ranger is in ample supply, easy to find, and considered “just another truck”. Ain’t no one here risking jail time for a small payday like that. These asshats seem to be grabbing a lot of Mercedes, Range Rovers, BMWs, and other high-end goodies. likely checking items off a shopping list. I’m pretty sure the Ranger’s not on it.

LawnMM

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Ranger Tremor
Dealt with it a lot here in the last 12-18 mos, mainly been F150s (especially Raptors) F250s and F350s

I'm not aware of a single Ranger being hit. I have seen it suggested that adding kill switches that mess with the ignition can void the warranty 🤷🏼‍♂️

I'd suggest, if you're concerned, the throttle controller that connects with a t harness behind the accelerator and allows you to lock it out and take the unit with you when you leave the vehicle.

In that instance even if they get in, and get it started, they have a dead pedal.

Pro tip, take the card with the programming code for your keyless entry OUT of the car, they can use that to program new keys on the fly.

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
Pro tip, take the card with the programming code for your keyless entry OUT of the car, they can use that to program new keys on the fly.
Did not know that!!!

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I haven't heard of any but the tail light thefts are problems in some areas. Sounds crazy but they're well over a grand to replace. One nice thing is the cats are tucked up next to the block under the turbo making them almost impossible to get to for a saws all.

OP
OP
Albertodee

Albertodee

First Name
Alberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Tradesman
Dealt with it a lot here in the last 12-18 mos, mainly been F150s (especially Raptors) F250s and F350s

I'm not aware of a single Ranger being hit. I have seen it suggested that adding kill switches that mess with the ignition can void the warranty 🤷🏼‍♂️

I'd suggest, if you're concerned, the throttle controller that connects with a t harness behind the accelerator and allows you to lock it out and take the unit with you when you leave the vehicle.

In that instance even if they get in, and get it started, they have a dead pedal.

Noted. Thanks for the suggestions. 🙏

Mlemos89

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Field service technician
Well mine was stolen before I had it. I got it with a rebuilt title because it was stolen. I saw the pics of it, someone spray painted the whole thing red/pink except the tailgate which they left silver lol

JimJa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger Lariat, '18 Focus RS, '17 Escape Titanium
- Good retired friend lives inside the beltway in D.C. F-250 owner. Tells me he never drives to dinner in the city. Takes Uber. Vehicle thiefs are 6-12 every weekend.
- In the Western Pacific and in the Navy, a coworker received a note from his storage facility in San Diego that his truck "had been recovered." Unknown to him it was stolen from the storage facility. Most stolen vehicles in the San Diego area end up in Mexico. For a time if you lived In San Ysidro and owned an SUV the chances of it being stolen in an given year was 100%.
- Woman was interviewed on San Diego's local TV station about her stolen new Chevy pickup. Was stolen and while she was shopping in TJ saw it in the police impound lot. Even tho she had proof of ownership the TJ police would not give it back. TV station flew their helo along the border and filmed it in the lot - with the CA plate. She never got it back.
- In Coronado (San Diego) the police caught a Mexican teenager attempting to steal a Jeep Grand Cherokee (the preferred vehicle of the TJ police) and a block away was the TJ Chief of Police in the PAX seat waiting for the kid. "I don't know what he was doing." Right, and I've got a bridge to sell you.
- My own Porsche Carrera was stolen in Boulder, CO. Every police officer I talked to after the event said the car was enroute overseas or a chop shop. It was recovered a year later with VIN tags scraped. Bought it back another year later at auction. Wait was due to CO's time delay issuing a new VIN. So many stolen vehicles went through the auction house several insurance companies had offices at the auction house.

Just a few of the events I've witnessed/experienced.

Mlemos89

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Field service technician
Here are the pics of my Ranger back when it was stolen and the dealer bought it. Makes me laugh with how it looks now. I recently changed rims but my chrome ones still have a little paint on them lol.
Screenshot_20240123-135524~4.png
Screenshot_20240123-135534~3.png
Screenshot_20240123-135550~3.png
Screenshot_20240123-135612~4.png
Sponsored