Our Rangers Theft Prone like F- Series? How, and How to Protect?

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
It'd be simpler for Ford to just offer a manual transmission for the Ranger. Buy a Ranger with a stick and suddenly 95% of the population can't drive your truck. ?

That's one of the things I enjoy most about my Focus ST. it has a combo transmission/theft prevention system!

#savethemanuals
When I was looking for a TJ I specifically only looked for a manual (also specifically avoiding the 6 speed NSG370)

I once went to a lot to look at a Wrangler and the dealer was unable to pull it around because it was a manual.

bijd82y8oen81.jpg
Sponsored

Canadian Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amsoil.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Amsoil Dealer
Are there any cons (pardon the pun), to installing a battery disconnect to a modern vehicle, specifically a 5G Ranger? Would one mess up any electronics? To me that's about the only surefire way to keep your truck in your driveway, short of loosening all the lugnuts on a wheel lol.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Vehicle thefts and burglaries at trailheads can be fairly common around here. If I were a scumbag and saw a person punching in the keycode on a Ford, you might as well have just sent me an invitation.
trailhead breakins are a whole other game.

if you park at a trailhead and walk/bike into the woods, the thieves know you're going to be gone for quite awhile so they have time to work.

also, they know that a lot of people who go into the woods, especially fitness-looking people, are more likely to leave things behind in the car. purses, wallets, housekeys, etc. A LOT of people still use hide-a-keys (they put a valet key in there if they're thinking a little bit), and yeah, they do leave the fob inside. all because they don't want to carry that stuff with them while wearing their spandex. IME, trailhead thieves aren't generally after whole vehicles. They're doing the smash-and-grab thing for whatever they can find inside. the ppl who do this often travel, so they'll hit an area hard for awhile and then when locals and law enforcement start to catch on, they leave and go hit some other park.

even the ones who use the scanners to clone your fob are just looking for a quieter, sneakier way to get in without being noticed.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
trailhead breakins are a whole other game.

if you park at a trailhead and walk/bike into the woods, the thieves know you're going to be gone for quite awhile so they have time to work.

also, they know that a lot of people who go into the woods, especially fitness-looking people, are more likely to leave things behind in the car. purses, wallets, housekeys, etc. A LOT of people still use hide-a-keys (they put a valet key in there if they're thinking a little bit), and yeah, they do leave the fob inside. all because they don't want to carry that stuff with them while wearing their spandex. IME, trailhead thieves aren't generally after whole vehicles. They're doing the smash-and-grab thing for whatever they can find inside. the ppl who do this often travel, so they'll hit an area hard for awhile and then when locals and law enforcement start to catch on, they leave and go hit some other park.

even the ones who use the scanners to clone your fob are just looking for a quieter, sneakier way to get in without being noticed.
All true.

But a person punching in a code on Ford's stupid little keypad is a pretty clear sign to anybody wishing to cause trouble.

I get it. Folks who like it think it's the bees knees. I do not. I find it utterly useless, and a borderline security issue. The execution on the Ranger is hideous as well. I'm very happy that my truck didn't come with it. On previous Ford's it was a wasted option.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Are there any cons (pardon the pun), to installing a battery disconnect to a modern vehicle, specifically a 5G Ranger? Would one mess up any electronics? To me that's about the only surefire way to keep your truck in your driveway, short of loosening all the lugnuts on a wheel lol.
Every time you disconnect the battery, all memory in the ECU would be lost, having to relearn all the fine tuning for the trans shifting and fuel injection. Plus all settings in SYNC would probably go to.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
But a person punching in a code on Ford's stupid little keypad is a pretty clear sign to anybody wishing to cause trouble.
just a great big flashing light over your vehicle for sure. they're already casing the trailhead and watching people come/go.

mtsoxfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I installed a fuel pump cutoff switch on one of my cars back in the 90's. Impossible to start without fuel. Not sure how the electronics nowadays would react.
But, its only as good as the operator, need to switch it off to be effective, like locking doors and taking keys...

Canadian Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amsoil.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Amsoil Dealer
Every time you disconnect the battery, all memory in the ECU would be lost, having to relearn all the fine tuning for the trans shifting and fuel injection. Plus all settings in SYNC would probably go to.
I don't use the sync. Other than losing the memory on the things you mentioned, is there really any harm done to anything?
I'd rather have my truck in my driveway every morning, than worry about a computer relearning how I drive. Know what I mean.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I installed a fuel pump cutoff switch on one of my cars back in the 90's. Impossible to start without fuel. Not sure how the electronics nowadays would react.
But, its only as good as the operator, need to switch it off to be effective, like locking doors and taking keys...
Added benefit, your oil won't smell like fuel.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
All true.

I get it. Folks who like it think it's the bees knees. I do not. I find it utterly useless, and a borderline security issue. The execution on the Ranger is hideous as well. I'm very happy that my truck didn't come with it. On previous Ford's it was a wasted option.
It's not like anyone steals cars in CO, no 1 in the US > 40,000 in 2022, as a % . Tonight's news someone stole a trailer with prize pigs for the stock show, they'll likely return tonight to steal the truck that towed the trailer.

Skit hjälm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hilux, Ranger, Landcruiser,
No detriments aside from losing memory settings each time switched off.
You're better off installing a hidden switch what shuts off one or more vital functions.
Said that...
If you want to install a battery switch. It probably work installing a battery disconnect along with a high wattage resistor or lightbulb in parallel with the disconnect switch.
when the switch is open a current path will still exist what should be enough to keep memory settings active, but it couldn't pass enough current to operate the running system and definitely not enough current for the starter.

Personally on other cars I've installed hidden switch to interrupt the brake pedal to transmission interlock.
Another car was a bit more clever. The switch disconnected the starter solenoid and connected to another solenoid. Any attempts to start the car only created the click, click sound simulating a weak battery.

Last edited:

Canadian Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amsoil.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Amsoil Dealer
No detriments aside from losing memory settings each time switched off.
You're better off installing a hidden switch what shuts off one or more vital functions.
Said that...
If you want to install a battery switch. It probably work installing a battery disconnect along with a high wattage resistor or lightbulb in parallel with the disconnect switch.
when the switch is open a current path will still exist what should be enough to keep memory settings active, but it couldn't pass enough current to operate the runnimg functions and definitely not enough current for the starter.

Personally on other cars I've installed hidden switch to interrupt the brake pedal to transmission interlock.
Another car was a bit more clever. The switch disconnected the starter solenoid and connected to another solenoid. Any attempts to start the car only created the click, click sound simulating a weak battery.
Awesome tips! Thanks!
Sponsored