Anyone installing CB/ Ham radio and/or NMO antenna mount on your new Ranger?

XL_Ranger_Danger

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL Ranger, (Previously 1976 Series III 109)
Occupation
Project Manager
Got som awesome inspiration from this thread. Finally got my Baofeng-UV5R mounted and wired via Lip NMO mount. The firewall wiring wasn't horrible, but the wire hanger hook trip made it MUCH easier. Especially routing it up behind the dash fascia.

It's a little crowded, but it works!
20211226_141714.jpg

20211226_141746.jpg
Very much appreciate the info... ?
Same! Already drooling over the Ranger-specific content!
Sponsored

XL_Ranger_Danger

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL Ranger, (Previously 1976 Series III 109)
Occupation
Project Manager
Quick question for those on the forum since most here seem to be licensed HAM's.. I had gotten my tech license about 5 years ago (KM6KUZ) and finally got around to getting into HAM's ( per the Baofeng set up)... It seems that I'm having no problem receiving, but I've been having trouble chatting with other folks. Is this an equipment issue or me not connecting to local repeaters correctly? I'm planning on linking up with the local Ham groups for their next Net session; but wanted to ask the group here first.
**Been using the repeaterbook app to dial in the correct offsets for the local repeaters, but never anything but silence**

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Quick question for those on the forum since most here seem to be licensed HAM's.. I had gotten my tech license about 5 years ago (KM6KUZ) and finally got around to getting into HAM's ( per the Baofeng set up)... It seems that I'm having no problem receiving, but I've been having trouble chatting with other folks. Is this an equipment issue or me not connecting to local repeaters correctly? I'm planning on linking up with the local Ham groups for their next Net session; but wanted to ask the group here first.
**Been using the repeaterbook app to dial in the correct offsets for the local repeaters, but never anything but silenc BBBe**
The uv-5r radios have an odd bug that you need to program them once, erase that preset, then do it again. You also need to be sure you have the reverse in before you set the tone or it won’t work.
My recommendation is to try and use a pc with chirp to program it and if you still cannot open the repeater, then you’re too far away.

the pc cables are cheap too, just try to find a decent one on Amazon.

the process is program from vfo mode, the rx frequency, go back to vfotype in the tx frequency, press the lock button to access the reverse (it should sayR at the top of the screen), then program the tx frequency. Clear that memory using menu option 28, then do it again.

if you have trouble let me know.

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
Its a PIA to program manually, CHIRP is so much easier and faster. Makes it easy to have different frequency files for different locations or groups.

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
I'll echo the usefulness of CHiRP for analog radios.

I'm still working on getting the DMR DM-1701 radio programmed (not using CHiRP because digital), it fails every try so far and I've put it away for now until I get time to really focus on it.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I'll echo the usefulness of CHiRP for analog radios.

I'm still working on getting the DMR DM-1701 radio programmed (not using CHiRP because digital), it fails every try so far and I've put it away for now until I get time to really focus on it.
I’ve programmed about a dozen radiodiddy gd-77’s and tyt md380’s using their included software. I’ve also had good luck working with Miklor.com to get drivers and programming software for at least a dozen other types of radios.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Here’s my FTM400 mounted inside my Ranger

9DBB1582-DBC9-41ED-8650-A57D426C655F.jpeg

F6C9B056-9340-4E4E-BC5E-877FAE5B2B4C.jpeg
How do you like that FTM-400?

I've been reading the specs and it sounds like an impressive unit.

VegasRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STX Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Damper Salesman
How do you like that FTM-400?

I've been reading the specs and it sounds like an impressive unit.
I love it. I have two of them. One in my truck and one in my shack. Does APRS too and does it really well.

GySgt.Elliott

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FX4 XLT Ranger
Occupation
Medical device manufacturing, Retired USMC
I am using a clip mount to the back passenger side of the bed rail with a Tram NMO mount dual band antenna and a QYT KT-8900D temporarily mounted between the 12V power ports on the front dash. Fits like a glove. I am a new ham and going for a budget setup while I figure out what I really want/need for the long run. Would really like to be able to cover 6m, 2m, 220, and 440 with one unit without bankrupting me, but that’s why I went with the budget setup so I can research and save up.

JonB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Would really like to be able to cover 6m, 2m, 220, and 440 with one unit without bankrupting me,
Put 10 hams in a room, ask a question and you'll get 41 different opinions. Here's mine - one radio covering those four bands will be expensive. Unless you have some unique interests you're not going to find a lot of activity on 220. And 6m is kind of spotty -- sometimes it's there, sometimes it's not. Save money and go with a dual band (2m/70cm) radio. That's where most VHF/UHF activity is.

Dredgerie

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Ranger Supercrew
Vehicle Showcase
I am using a clip mount to the back passenger side of the bed rail with a Tram NMO mount dual band antenna and a QYT KT-8900D temporarily mounted between the 12V power ports on the front dash. Fits like a glove. I am a new ham and going for a budget setup while I figure out what I really want/need for the long run. Would really like to be able to cover 6m, 2m, 220, and 440 with one unit without bankrupting me, but that’s why I went with the budget setup so I can research and save up.
A Yaesu VX-8R will do all four bands. It’s listed as a triband, but it’ll do 220 also at lower power. Have to be specifically the R model, it’s the first generation and the specs were changed when they released other generations. I think they’re about $350 used if you can find one.
Sponsored