Any problems installing, maintaining or removing stick-on tailgate letters?

OP
OP
OrangeStreak

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
$80.00 for a whole 10 minutes of work. :shock:
There were some glitches with Sync 3 updates when I 1st got my truck and I thought the Dealer would show me how to do it as new customer courtesy. No way...their charge was $130! I waded through it myself and now have it down. I insist on doing everything that Is within my capability!
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
There were some glitches with Sync 3 updates when I 1st got my truck and I thought the Dealer would show me how to do it as new customer courtesy. No way...their charge was $130! I waded through it myself and now have it down. I insist on doing everything that Is within my capability!
Paul, I agree on this 100%! Most things I'll do myself or at least attempt it like when I fixed my broken HVAC the other day. I figured it's broke so I really can't mess it up any more than it already is. lol

One thing I've given up on is doing oil changes though. I just bring it to my Local Brakes Plus because I know the manager there and trust them completely. For what they charge me for an oil change and tire rotation I can make that at work easily without having to get everything out in my garage and then disposing the used oil. Plus it's a write off and my time is worth money and I can't write off my labor doing it myself. ?

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
So Ford has OEM Ranger letters?
I did not know this...what are they made of? Do they come in colors?
Mine are made of stainless steel with a "black-chrome" finish.
Very nice in appearance and quality.

Last edited:

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
I did the raised letters on mine as well and did them at like 3 am holding a flashlight in my mouth cause I am impatient lol, just line up the tops of the letters and the top of the indents and they will go in perfectly, mine have survived dozens of carwashes and offroad shenanigan's with no sign of coming off just make sure that you clean the area under and around them very thoroughly before you put them on

Dahveed

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4 / 2020 Ford Edge ST-Line
Occupation
Pharmacy Consultant
The thin vinyl ones I bought from Etsy have been on for over 18 months and still look brand new. No fading, no peeling. I put them on using the wet method, so it was nice and easy to position them.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
$80.00 for a whole 10 minutes of work. :shock:
There probably is tax, recycling fee for the backing and front covering papers, and the ubiquitous "Shop Supplies" (latex gloves for the installer for instance) included in that.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Mine are made of stainless steel with a "black-chrome" finish.
Very nice3 in appearance and quality.
You may be right. I just assumed they are aluminum.

JayBickles

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Oxford White XLT, 2016 Explorer XLT
I think that would look really nice with your white. Let us know how you removed them and if they came off without messing up the paint.
That's going to be the tricky part. Thinking just heat gun and putty knife or sometj
I think that would look really nice with your white. Let us know how you removed them and if they came off without messing up the paint.

The end result... Heat gun and thin plastic scraper and a lot of WD40 did the job, took a lot longer then I was planning. Overall I like it. I wish the Black and White Flag ones I had stuck out as much as these. They were much thinner and felt cheaper in my opinion.

PXL_20220522_214502424~2.jpg

OP
OP
OrangeStreak

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
That's going to be the tricky part. Thinking just heat gun and putty knife or sometj

The end result... Heat gun and thin plastic scraper and a lot of WD40 did the job, took a lot longer then I was planning. Overall I like it. I wish the Black and White Flag ones I had stuck out as much as these. They were much thinner and felt cheaper in my opinion.

Those really look good!

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor

They do look good.
Digging the smoked oval, too.
Good job all around.

SheepDogRain-Jar

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019.5 Ford Ranger XLT CPR
Occupation
Retired LEO/Retired Military/Doctoral Student
I only had A-N-G-E-R on mine. I thought it was clever only to find out it was an 80ā€™s thing.
I took off the second R to name her ā€˜Angeā€™ and the adhesive wouldnā€™t come off for months! Even after multiple applications of Goo Gone and using bondo tools.

ArchitectThom

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Architect
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082T24DF3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Above is the link to the letters I went with from Amazon.

I wanted black on black with an outline to be noticeable, but still subtle. These have a chrome outline around them and I love them. You can definitely tell there's letters there, much more so than the stock tailgate indentations, but it's still subtle enough to not "scream" Ranger.

I stuck them on two years ago and haven't had a single problem since.

Yes, they are more expensive than most of the others, but for me, it was well worth it.

Enlarged Rear.jpg

ArchitectThom

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Architect
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082T24DF3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Above is the link to the letters I went with from Amazon.

I wanted black on black with an outline to be noticeable, but still subtle. These have a chrome outline around them and I love them. You can definitely tell there's letters there, much more so than the stock tailgate indentations, but it's still subtle enough to not "scream" Ranger.

I stuck them on two years ago and haven't had a single problem since.

Yes, they are more expensive than most of the others, but for me, it was well worth it.

Enlarged Rear.jpg
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VY66PFX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also got these for the front grill and I think they look great.

Enlarged Front.jpg

Roscoe P

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Ford RangernXLT
Occupation
Retired
I had some Flat Polished Stainless Letters that I ordered from a Ford dealer.I installed them
myself.Apparently they ran out of tape on the E. Long story short, the car wash grabbed the
middle part of the E and bent it beyond straightened.I had ordered some raised chrome letters from Amazon to replace the SS set. Luckily, I had a heat gun.Lets just say I don't think I would have gotten the old letters off ,nor all the tape off without it. Just make sure you keep the heat
gun moving so that you get the tape to loosen up and you don't scorch the paint. It still took mineral spirits and lots of elbow grease but I got every piece of old tape off before I applied
the New Letters. I was real diligent and determined to completely remove any tape or dust
before putting the New letters on. It's been run through the wash once already with no issues.
It almost made me wish I had gone with Vinyl Lettering but I do like the Raised Chrome Letters on my truck.
Sponsored