Anyone else keep accidentially putting their truck in 4H?

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase

DMK45

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 crew cab
I don't really know how I keep doing it, but I somehow am hitting the 4 wheel drive knob and putting it in 4H pretty often. I cannot tell if it is my phone cable somehow doing it or I'm moving my leg against the dial but it seems like every other day I find myself in 4H. Yesterday it happened twice. After looking at it a bit, the knob is pretty easy to turn compared to other trucks with similar shift knobs I have seen.
I did it once or twice early on no issues since.

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
I finally did by accident this past weekend, had cruise on during a road trip and my leg bent at knee, seam gripped the knob. 4 wasn't the issue, it was when it tried to move to 4 low and I noticed a warning light flashing on the dash. Would've preferred it be a push button or on the dash like my F150 but I'll have to adapt and live with it.

I don't really know how I keep doing it, but I somehow am hitting the 4 wheel drive knob and putting it in 4H pretty often. I cannot tell if it is my phone cable somehow doing it or I'm moving my leg against the dial but it seems like every other day I find myself in 4H. Yesterday it happened twice. After looking at it a bit, the knob is pretty easy to turn compared to other trucks with similar shift knobs I have seen.

RangerRaptor

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat (previously 2012 Ford SVT Raptor)

Joec6512

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT supercrew
I keep hitting the headlight knob with my knee. Wondering why it was so dark the other night

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly I would love to have some manual hubs that I can lock and unlock at will. The vacuum ones of the 90's were absolute trash though...
I'm curious as to why? Are the auto locking hubs somehow not working as you want them to? I'm not trolling, I'm just curious. For me, the auto locking hubs are a great invention and I'm glad I don't have to get out and manually lock in the hubs.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I'm curious as to why? Are the auto locking hubs somehow not working as you want them to? I'm not trolling, I'm just curious. For me, the auto locking hubs are a great invention and I'm glad I don't have to get out and manually lock in the hubs.
The hubs we have now are not "Auto locking" they are always locked in with a spline shaft. The ones I'm referring to were electro magnet or vacuum locked and could be found on Rangers, blazers, etc in the 90's through early 2000's.

The reason I'd like manual hubs is I could run a locker up front and then lock and unlock hubs, you get less drag while driving because you aren't spinning the entire front driveline all the time, and the straight up look cool to me :)

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
the hubs we have now are not "Auto locking" they are always locked in with a spline shaft. The ones I'm referring to were electro magnet or vacuum locked and could be found on Rangers, blazers, etc in the 90's through early 2000's.

The reason I'd like manual hubs is I could run a locker up front and then lock and unlock hubs, you get less drag while driving because you aren't spinning the entire front driveline all the time, and the straight up look cool to me :)
I didn't realize the hubs we have are always locked. I thought they auto locked - you learn something new every day! Thanks!

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
I had a habit of putting my wallet in the tray at the front of the console and bumped it into 4H a few times too many. It sure gives you a start when you try to turn into a parking space! Now, I keep my wallet where it belongs - in the cup holder. ?

marlowefamily

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Expedition, 2017 C-Max, 2020 Ranger
No one is mentioning the bigger issue of no 4A mode....use it all the time in expedition when towing steep grades on mountains/hills or entering country roads or construction sites that yet to have real roads put in or if wierd weather, very rarely need to officially put in 4H...and I already know if need to be in 4L... why Ford needs to have different 4 wheel drive setups on same year vehicles...love Ford and ranger, but the cost cutting on ranger is insane. Yes, expedition is twice price of ranger but you'd think simple truck stuff...

rltriumph

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Pipefitter
If you want a really annoying design, take a look at the Colorado. Lots of folks hit it with their left knee getting in or out of the truck. Ranger design is just fine for me.
What do you expect from something designed and built by GM?

Olga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I've done it a couple of times 4H and 4Low while reaching for my phone cord, etc. It's not a great place for it.
Sponsored