Anyone else keep accidentially putting their truck in 4H?

deeve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
I don't really know how I keep doing it, but I somehow am hitting the 4 wheel drive knob and putting it in 4H pretty often. I cannot tell if it is my phone cable somehow doing it or I'm moving my leg against the dial but it seems like every other day I find myself in 4H. Yesterday it happened twice. After looking at it a bit, the knob is pretty easy to turn compared to other trucks with similar shift knobs I have seen.
Sponsored

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I don't really know how I keep doing it, but I somehow am hitting the 4 wheel drive knob and putting it in 4H pretty often. I cannot tell if it is my phone cable somehow doing it or I'm moving my leg against the dial but it seems like every other day I find myself in 4H. Yesterday it happened twice. After looking at it a bit, the knob is pretty easy to turn compared to other trucks with similar shift knobs I have seen.
It's a dopey design in a dopey location IMO. A couple toggle switches mounted up high where they are visible without having to look down at the freaking floor would be great.

We really like our Ranger... but the location and type of switches and buttons leave a lot to be desired... like the HVAC controls... wth?

Last edited:

TylerV76

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
Occupation
Emissions testing supplier
Ive spun that wheel all the way to 4LO once but was able to back it off quick enough. Honestly Im curious what would have happened if I hadn't. Would the system realize it can't go into 4LO while doing 75mph and reset to 2 wheel?

Anyways, its the only thing I don't like about the truck that I can't fix with a mod.

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
I've done it twice over the past year. It is kind of a dopey design. If they want to keep the rotary dial where it is, they should make it have a bit more resistance when turning, kind of like the rotary shifters for the trans in many cars. Right now I can engage 4H with an accidental flick.

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Explorer Sport
Ive spun that wheel all the way to 4LO once but was able to back it off quick enough. Honestly Im curious what would have happened if I hadn't. Would the system realize it can't go into 4LO while doing 75mph and reset to 2 wheel?

Anyways, its the only thing I don't like about the truck that I can't fix with a mod.
Yes it would. It's actually a bit picky about the conditions that must be met in order for it to go into 4LO. Moving at 75mph would not satisfy those conditions. :)

808matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Sport Package, 2015 f450 Bucket Truck
I was under the impression you can’t go into 4wd without being in neutral...
And I agree, the hvac the worst feature about this truck to me

weasel1

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lighting Blue FX4 w/302A
Occupation
Nuclear Operator
If you want a really annoying design, take a look at the Colorado. Lots of folks hit it with their left knee getting in or out of the truck. Ranger design is just fine for me.

weasel1

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lighting Blue FX4 w/302A
Occupation
Nuclear Operator
I was under the impression you can’t go into 4wd without being in neutral...
4lo you have to shift to neutral first. 4h, doesn't matter.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

I had this happen to me just once and got the driveline bound up in the driveway backing out...took a second or two to figure out what was wrong. Still a mystery to me how it happened... Agree, I would like some sort of mod to the dial that you have to pull up and index it as opposed to what we have now...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
deeve

deeve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
I have had it happen many times when I am just starting out and noticed it because of the drive line bind too. I wonder if we are hitting it with out legs? I usually plug in my phone when I start off to use carplay and figured the cord or my wrist was hitting it when putting the phone back into the cubby. Thinking back I cannot say that was always the case. Does anyone else have it happen who is not plugging in a phone?

I have not tried it, but if the knob pulls off maybe an oring under there could add enough resistance to keep it from happening. I have the trail control button, which makes me think it would be be an easy pop off deal.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
Try Duct tape.