Worried about binding in 4H

shirts_184

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
I have used four wheel drive only a few different times since purchasing my Ranger. Twice, on gravel and in heavy snow, I’ve had some difficulty making tight turns in 4H. Both times were a couple months back. After reading up on this, I learned that it’s important to avoid any future tight turns in 4H. I have not noticed any difference in my truck since making these turns, but me being me, I’m paranoid that I’ve done some damage. Both times I heard a “grinding” noise and quickly shifted out of 4H. Thoughts?
Sponsored

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
If you do it on occasion it is unlikely that there has been any damage.

Michel Jeanneau

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4 the black beast
Your tires will wear out faster and if you did it all the time (and I know some people that come November they throw'em in 4H and leave it there till spring), your U-joints and CV joints will go....an occasional oopsie in 4H wont harm you

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicycle.
Occupation
I make electricity
You should be able to go full turn lock left right turn in either forward or backward. There is no need in babying it. Drive it and get your confidence in your machine. No way could I live with a 4wd and think it’s ok as long as I don’t do this....

If you were doing this on asphalt then I can see issues but you were not. You were I. The correct terrain to be in 4hi.

IMO that is nonsense to avoid tight turns while in 4wd mumbo jumbo. Maybe if you had a front locker but we don’t have that.
Sponsored