Aftermarket Rear locker / Posi options

Mike in UT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Super Crew FX4, Hot Pepper Red, Tow pkg, Extang Trifecta 2.0 Tonneau cover, Rhino Liner, Lift Gate Assist, Ford black running boards
Occupation
IT technician, retired soldier (11B, 19D)

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I hope that at some point we get a Torsen for the front axle, though I have read that the electronics are so good it is kinda unnecessary.

I have the Detroit TrueTrac in the front of my Bronco and it is terrific.

I would far prefer it in the front over a locker.

Mike in UT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Super Crew FX4, Hot Pepper Red, Tow pkg, Extang Trifecta 2.0 Tonneau cover, Rhino Liner, Lift Gate Assist, Ford black running boards
Occupation
I hope that at some point we get a Torsen for the front axle, though I have read that the electronics are so good it is kinda unnecessary.

I guess that a forum member who retired from Ford not long ago and tested the Ranger before he did said that the original test article had a Torsen in the front but that got deleted from the final product by the accountants.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase

I guess that a forum member who retired from Ford not long ago and tested the Ranger before he did said that the original test article had a Torsen in the front but that got deleted from the final product by the accountants.
Hi Mike,

Correct. If I had stood firm on the front Torsen, the program was likely to tank and I did not wish this to happen. The trite saying is to know when to fold them... So we gave up the front Torsen... At Ford you never get the full Monet... You have to give up something, so the front diff was the sacrificial lamb so to speak...

BTW...not long ago is probably relative...I retired at the end of 2002... 18 years ago... I was 53 at the time.. Retiring at 53 was the best decision I made other than marrying Margie in January 2005!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
Rangers have limited slip now. If one wheel spins too fast then the brake comes on and power goes to the other one. That is all the clutch plate limited slip did.

Last edited:

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Rangers have limited slip now. If one wheel spins too fast then the brake comes on and power goes to the other one. That is all the clutch plate limited slip did.

Torsen is gear based though i believe. No clutches to wear out.

Mike in UT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hi Mike,

Correct. If I had stood firm on the front Torsen, the program was likely to tank and I did not wish this to happen. The trite saying is to know when to fold them... So we gave up the front Torsen... At Ford you never get the full Monet... You have to give up something, so the front diff was the sacrificial lamb so to speak...

BTW...not long ago is probably relative...I retired at the end of 2002... 18 years ago... I was 53 at the time.. Retiring at 53 was the best decision I made other than marrying Margie in January 2005!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I retired from the army at age 42. At first I felt like I didn't know what to do with myself, that I'd made a huge mistake, and while there are still days I miss it, I know now it was the right choice. I work for a government agency now, and I get a LOT of vacation time which I use to the fullest, and I'll be retiring again in a few years, this time permanently.

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
ARB has an air locker for the 2019-on US Ford Ranger.
https://www.stage3motorsports.com/R...ng-Rear-Differential-OEM-Open-Diffs-Only.html

If you get everything Stage 3 recommends (and you'll likely have to, as explained on the page) you're in for $1,794 before applicable taxes and installation labor.
This is pretty much the only option I've found thus far as well. I think a limited-slip or locker would be great options, but not at what, 4x factory e-locker ($420 on the '20 models)...

Here's to hoping more get into the fold soon.

OP
OP
Allen_rubin

Allen_rubin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport
Really? Interesting

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
Really? Interesting
This is a bit misleading, it's part of AdvanceTrac/TCS, and while it will try to slow/stop the free spinning wheel, it also cuts power, which is often undesirable. Not a real analogue to an LSD or locker.

OP
OP
Allen_rubin

Allen_rubin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport
This is a bit misleading, it's part of AdvanceTrac/TCS, and while it will try to slow/stop the free spinning wheel, it also cuts power, which is often undesirable. Not a real analogue to an LSD or locker.
So if I were to get stuck, I would get power sent to the left rear in my 2wd?

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
So if I were to get stuck, I would get power sent to the left rear in my 2wd?
If your right tire was free spinning the brake would slow it down to apply power to the left side while also cutting back power output from the engine. This should get your left tire moving but at greatly reduced speeds which may or may not be enough to get you moving.

OP
OP
Allen_rubin

Allen_rubin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport
If your right tire was free spinning the brake would slow it down to apply power to the left side while also cutting back power output from the engine. This should get your left tire moving but at greatly reduced speeds which may or may not be enough to get you moving.
Ahh I got you, sounds like I gotta try it out

Dokkenmire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Xlt Sport Supercrew 2wd
Ahh I got you, sounds like I gotta try it out

It actually let's you spin pretty good. This is my truck on a light coating of snow. At the end of the video you'll see a little wiggle if you watch closely, that's when the other side grabs and the rear wants to come around.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Watch this video (it's good all the way through) at around 3:35 you'll see the TCS system shifting torque left to right in the rear and right to left in the front.

This one is good too.

Sponsored