ARB Front Locker

RBTremor

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Mustang Convertible, 2019 Mustang Conv. 2.3L
Has anyone installed the ARB front locker on their Ranger? Wondering how hard the install is and if the Ranger (Tremor) front diff can handle it?
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Cant say if anyone here had done it yet but I probise it will handle it just fine. How hard of an install? Well lets just say i would recommend having a drivetrain shop or 4wd shop that has experience do the install. This way if they mess up its no them and not you.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
Specialized tools and knowledge are required, I'd advise going to a shop that knows axle work.
I never had a front locker myself but I've wheeled with people who do and driven their rigs. My take is that when driven properly a front locker can result in LESS breakage because it allows you to go slower and crawl over things instead of having to use momentum and going faster than maybe you should. Drive it like you're the next Walker Evans or Grave Digger then yes, you will break stuff. Selectable lockers like the ARB are good for the front because you can turn them off when making sharp turns so you don't bust axle shafts and CV joints.

Downside, you're spending about $1500 that no one at the mall will see. :p

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
------2011 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L Manual Scab
Occupation
--Machinist
Some thing to consider the Ranger uses the Dana M190. Designed for a maximum 32" tire. Where you can order the more robust M220 on the Bronco. Designed for a 35" tire

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Some thing to consider the Ranger uses the Dana M190. Designed for a maximum 32" tire. Where you can order the more robust M220 on the Bronco. Designed for a 35" tire
Thats if it will fit wich no one here knows for sure as we do not know what will and will not bolt up without modifications. Also as long as not going crazy the front axle on the Ranger will do just fine with 33's and a front locker.

WyoRanger

First Name
Kymbrill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX-4
Occupation
Automotive Retail
The ARB front air locker is on the future plans list. Has anyone came up with a strengthening kit for our axles yet.

Kym

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I wish Eaton made a TrueTrac for the front of our trucks.

I have one in the front of my Bronco and it is terrific.

WyoRanger

First Name
Kymbrill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX-4
Occupation
Automotive Retail
Has anyone installed one?

Kym

Yama_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Raptor Soon 2021 APG Ranger
I'm planning an M220 swap so that I can re-gear to 4:70's. When I do, I might put an ARB in. Waiting on RCV custom axles and then need to plan the down time for the. work. The M190 is quite weak and you would need to be extremely cautious with how you use it. Most likely would end in heartache.

Wes Siler

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WesSiler.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2020 Toyota Land Cruiser
Occupation
Writer
I'm planning an M220 swap so that I can re-gear to 4:70's. When I do, I might put an ARB in. Waiting on RCV custom axles and then need to plan the down time for the. work. The M190 is quite weak and you would need to be extremely cautious with how you use it. Most likely would end in heartache.
Yeah, I'd be hesitant to lock the m190, especially with upsize tires. Terrain Management is extraordinarily effective, I feel no need for a front locker and I push this truck to its limits.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Actually the M190 is plenty strong. Its just preventing yourself from doing stupid things when locked that keeps you going. Any that have used a locjer already know that the front is only when you absolutely need it vs the rear locker you can get away woth more often. Just depends on the situation.

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
Many people mention the 220, but Australia has an all steel front axle. Might be worth a look because it is identical.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Yeah, I'd be hesitant to lock the m190, especially with upsize tires. Terrain Management is extraordinarily effective, I feel no need for a front locker and I push this truck to its limits.
Since you've probably put more off road miles than most on your truck, I have a question for you that is slightly off topic:

Everyone considers the low hanging alternator to be a handicap on this truck.

Have you encountered any issues from it?

Or are most of your trips in dry areas with few mud or water crossings?

Wes Siler

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WesSiler.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2020 Toyota Land Cruiser
Occupation
Writer
Since you've probably put more off road miles than most on your truck, I have a question for you that is slightly off topic:

Everyone considers the low hanging alternator to be a handicap on this truck.

Have you encountered any issues from it?

Or are most of your trips in dry areas with few mud or water crossings?
Yeah, I try to avoid deep water in general, but haven't had an issue the few times I have had to wade. I'd think of it less as a handicap and more just something to be aware of. Take water crossings slowly, and try to go no deeper than your wheels.

Mud is terrible for your truck in general. Definitely important to wash it off immediately, and to get it out of the engine bay. Ronny Dahl has a good video around that, lemme see if I can find it.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Yeah, I try to avoid deep water in general, but haven't had an issue the few times I have had to wade. I'd think of it less as a handicap and more just something to be aware of. Take water crossings slowly, and try to go no deeper than your wheels.

Mud is terrible for your truck in general. Definitely important to wash it off immediately, and to get it out of the engine bay. Ronny Dahl has a good video around that, lemme see if I can find it.
I don't often agree with Wes. But in these two instances I think he's right.
Sponsored