First Name
Dayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac ATS; Ford Ranger
Occupation
ADA
Any guesses as to why Ford went with an electronic rear locker, not an auto-locker?

Just wondering for convenience-sake.

Thanks!
Sponsored

OP
OP

docarter

First Name
Dayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ADA
Because being able to lock it before you need it instead of after you need it is a better idea.
When would you need to spin one wheel rear? In other words, when is the automatic locking not useful?

I've seen certain competitors with the auto lockers and it usually activates in less than one wheel rotation. Even the Ranger's rear locker isn't instant, the pin has to find its hole to lock the rear and that requires spinning the gears in the diff.

OP
OP

docarter

First Name
Dayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ADA
An e-locker will behave like an open diff under normal driving conditions making it more predicable. An auto-locker will go full lock with any slippage - in snow, icy, or slippery conditions it can be unpredictable.
I think this is a decent answer, the auto-lockers are very abrupt when they engage.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
When would you need to spin one wheel rear? In other words, when is the automatic locking not useful?

I've seen certain competitors with the auto lockers and it usually activates in less than one wheel rotation. Even the Ranger's rear locker isn't instant, the pin has to find its hole to lock the rear and that requires spinning the gears in the diff.
There are no midsized trucks for sale in the US factory equipped with a Detroit (auto) locker.

You might as well just weld your diff.

OP
OP

docarter

First Name
Dayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ADA
There are no midsized trucks for sale in the US factory equipped with a Detroit (auto) locker.

That's fair. GM full-size trucks and SUVs frequently come with auto lockers. I guess I am accustomed to the Torsen limited slip in my ATS and how I don't have to think about its operation.

I know limited slips have serious disadvantages when off-roading, though.

gwhalin

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Retired
I did a full day fairly intense (for me) off-road course that had some rock crawling and never needed to engage the rear locker. I like the option to decide when to use it.

KnightWolf

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
IT Consulting

The Z71/AT4 package on the Colorado/Canyon come with the Eaton G80 rear diff.

That's fair. GM full-size trucks and SUVs frequently come with auto lockers. I guess I am accustomed to the Torsen limited slip in my ATS and how I don't have to think about its operation.

I know limited slips have serious disadvantages when off-roading, though.
GM & Chevy both use the Eaton G80 in the rear. They're good diffs but I've heard stories of them grenading when stressed.

Torsen isn't a true locker, it is better than an clutch pack LSD for off-road use but has its limits. I would have loved to have a torsen in the front on the FX4 package.

OP
OP

docarter

First Name
Dayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ADA

GM & Chevy both use the Eaton G80 in the rear. They're good diffs but I've heard stories of them grenading when stressed.

Torsen isn't a true locker, it is better than an clutch pack LSD for off-road use but has its limits. I would have loved to have a torsen in the front on the FX4 package.
Great information, I thought GM's midsized units had a auto-locker option.

Torsen has the benefit of "no wear," other than the diff itself failing as there aren't clutches but worms gears.

Finally, I have head of all sorts of diffs grenading when stressed. I think there might be a greater propensity when the auto-locker is stressed and abruptly locks. However, the same is probably true if you try to lock your Ranger's diff and then floor it so that the pin engages under extreme load.

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
The biggest reason is regular customers. A Detroit locker is unpredictable when (exactly) it will engage. In order to get a Detroit to lock, you have to have the tires spinning at different speeds. This makes them unpredictable and the mass of drivers won't know how to handle it. Either on or off makes it easier.

KnightWolf

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
IT Consulting
Great information, I thought GM's midsized units had a auto-locker option.

Torsen has the benefit of "no wear," other than the diff itself failing as there aren't clutches but worms gears.

Finally, I have head of all sorts of diffs grenading when stressed. I think there might be a greater propensity when the auto-locker is stressed and abruptly locks. However, the same is probably true if you try to lock your Ranger's diff and then floor it so that the pin engages under extreme load.
The G80 is an auto locker, but not a Detroit (or lunchbox) type. Detroit's use a spring loaded toothed assembly. A G80 has a spinning mass that uses centrifugal force to push a latch that engages the locking pin. From a durability standpoint, a lunchbox is much stronger. G80's because of their design are prone to fail. Both can engage abruptly as @Colo_Ranger mentioned and your average driver won't know how to deal with it.

IMO torsen sort of gives you the best of both worlds. They're more predicable and easy to manage, you don't really notice them engaging since they bias the torque depending on the amount of slip.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman

You're right.

Didn't think to check the Canyon AT4 as it is a "new" trim level. That and I have no interest in tarted up Chevys.

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
So you cant get an off-road focused chevy/gmc with a user selectable e locker? Not surprised if true.