First Name
Dayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac ATS; Ford Ranger
Occupation
ADA
That would be a 3900 pound light truck which If lowered and a little more street tuned, would be a bit more accessible, and driveable . Your question really shows the unintentional bias. Oh, and I like a solid axle on a rear drive vehicle
I realize that it would never compete at Road America ,but it would sure be extra cool pulling a G-prod to the track.
I personally fail to see the point in offering an "off-road" tuned Ranger, but there are many folks who do find that it works well for them because they do "get" the point and the advantages.
Let's face it, a 4500 pound 4 door pickup tuned for off-road, still ain't no "dune buggy" either.

I actually drive and tow on the street and enjoy driving,
So to answer your question...here's an example of the point... ( much heavier than my SuperCab's 3960#) and the Ranger could be even cooler.
1634855129137.png
If it sells more trucks then I'm all for it of course. I guess I may be biased, the Ranger does much better off road than my ATS and the ATS is much more apt to handle high speeds and sharp corners. :)
Sponsored

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
If it sells more trucks then I'm all for it of course. I guess I may be biased, the Ranger does much better off road than my ATS and the ATS is much more apt to handle high speeds and sharp corners. :)
I wouldn't care if it sold more trucks or not as long as I got one built for me! :giggle:

OP
OP

docarter

First Name
Dayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ADA
I wouldn't care if it sold more trucks or not as long as I got one built for me! :giggle:
In that case, break out the wallet. I'm sure your local hot rod shop can build you a street truck of your dreams!

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
I think the ZR2 is in a different league, though. Remote dampers, and it's a bit bigger than the Ranger.

The suspension setup alone would cost 5k to buy aftermarket.
The “In a different league part“ is not really true. There are some TFL videos pitting the Tremor against the ZR2 and it was pretty much a draw.

OP
OP

docarter

First Name
Dayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ADA
The “In a different league part“ is not really true. There are some TFL videos pitting the Tremor against the ZR2 and it was pretty much a draw.
Look, I like the Ranger as much as anybody, but it lacks the capability afforded by the Bison ZR2's front locker and DSSV shocks.

The Ranger would blow the seals on its factory shocks on terrain and jumps that the ZR2 could handle.

Here's a technical piece on the suspension setup: https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/1...-shocks-explained-inside-the-multimatic-dssv/

OP
OP

docarter

First Name
Dayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ADA
You would prefer an auto locker over a selectable locker? Why?
Convenience, ease of use. Why would you have an automatic transmission when you could have a manual?

OP
OP

docarter

First Name
Dayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ADA
Seems like you bought the wrong truck.
Nah, I'm just not a fanboy. I bought the Ranger because it had a more advanced powertrain than the GM twins (2.3T / 10sp.) and because it was physically smaller.

Always happy to have a lively and objective discussion based on objective facts.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, but do they have off-road tow trucks?

KnightWolf

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
IT Consulting
@Floyd I'm not disagreeing with you, all RWD should come equipped with some form of LSD. Ford isn't totally ignoring the 2wd, they do offer the FX2 package which give you the e-locker & off-road suspension. I get that you're more on the street/performance side of the fence, which is cool. A lowered performance oriented Ranger with an LSD & the performance pack would probably sell well. Honestly more people would probably find more use & enjoy a performance oriented Ranger over their off-road package that never sees dirt.

@docarter the ZR2 no doubt is a great package, but to be honest it's overkill for 99% of buyers. Who actually takes their brand new truck out and jumps it? Realistically most people buying the FX4, Tremor, Z71, ZR2, TRD/TRD Pro, etc., packages are buying them for the looks and show-off their to their friends. And those that do go off-roading, for the most part a standard 4x4 will suffice. I've kept up with built Jeeps & Toyota's in just 4H/4L without using the terrain management or trail control etc. I'm far from an experienced off roader, but knowing your rig will get you further than any fancy system or big upgrades.

OP
OP

docarter

First Name
Dayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ADA
@KnightWolf - agree 100% on the ZR2 Bison. Very capable truck that few will truly test. That and the cost are why I went with a Ranger ;)

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In that case, break out the wallet. I'm sure your local hot rod shop can build you a street truck of your dreams!
Been building my own for half a century, If I build a new truck it will be a '38 or a '49 F1.
Its funny you say that because a Ford dealer once told me that same thing when they wouldn't build what I wanted. I went home and built a '52 F1 and a '29 model A. These were our family cars until they built something close enough to talk me into another new one.
The Ranger does what it does well and I have a couple other things to drive for more fun.
Just dreamin' about what coulda/shoulda been.
Then there's that old silk purse/sow's ear thing

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
My condo lot is too small for a full size F150 (for me anyway). There's a sweet one a guy has that works at harbor freight. It's a reg cab, short bed 2 wd. It's been dropped but not scrapping the ground with 20's an lowerish profile sport tires, flush bed cover. This is a build I'd want if anything happened to my ranger. Seems the sport truck scene is dead but I still like them. There's also a supercharged reg cab short bed 5.0 on youtube running 10's.
Sponsored