First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x4 Lariat - Saber
Occupation
I'm fly. I'm pilot.
Mountune is very closely related to Ford and Ford Racing. In Europe Mountune is on par with AMG and BMW M division. They've even collaborated with Ford on factory performance specials.

Mishimoto makes good stuff. But on a Ford I'd take Mountune all day long.
Huh, Today I Learned.
Sponsored

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
AND this is why I want to install an aftermarket radiator. Im worried about head gaskets when the miles are added. Towing uphill (and passing big rigs) I saw it hit 238F twice. Usually it is under 220F but sometimes she will head into the 220F range.

I'm worried breaking 230F will cause head gasket issues in the future.

Years ago this could be easily resolved by running a cooler thermostat. Now a days this may not be a viable option as it may confuse the computers unless you have an aftermarket tuning file programmed for it. Making sure there is no debris or bent fins on the intercooler/radiator is a major one. and adding a rather fine mesh screen behind the grill to prevent rocks and bugs from clogging it up would accomplish that. There are additives like Redline Water Wetter that is supposed to improve heat transfer from the coolant to the radiator lowering the coolant temps. I've never run the stuff, but some guys I knew back in the day swore by it. No clue if it's compatible with the coolant Ford uses now though.

Another option is an on demand water mister for the radiator/intercooler. This can be rigged up with a temperature switch to kick on at say 230F deploying an ultra-fine mist across the radiator improving cooling performance thus lowering the coolant temps. Downsides to that type of system is limited water capacity and scale build up on the intercooler/radiator over long term use unless distilled or RO/DI water is used.

Last option is adding a high static pressure electric cooling fan to the system on the front side of the intercooler, but this could also block some airflow thus cancelling our what possible benefits it may produce, so not a very viable solution.

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x4 Lariat - Saber
Occupation
I'm fly. I'm pilot.
Downsides to that type of system is...scale build up on the intercooler/radiator over long term use unless distilled or RO/DI water is used.

Like...rain?

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Like...rain?
While there are impurities in rain water, you typically do not see the the same type of scale build up from it compared to long term exposure to tap water. Tap water will have various levels of minerals calcium, silicates, salts, metals etc. all depending on its source. Rain water may have many of the same dissolved solids as tap water, but no where close to the same concentrations. this is all dependent on geographic location and the level of contaminates in the atmosphere where the rain fell at. Typical TDS of rainwater is between 20-55ppm and tap water can be anywhere between 100-600+ppm. To complicate things rainwater is slightly acidic with an average ph of 5.4 and tap water ph averages 7.4. and the more alkaline the water is the greater the chances of scale buildup is.

OP
OP

PascoPatio

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat
I have a levals intercooler on since about 15k.

Regnar

First Name
Brud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Any update, PascoPatio?

OP
OP

PascoPatio

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat
Well, they got her running and then she threw a po620 code so they are trying to track that down.

OP
OP

PascoPatio

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat
So, after 5 weeks I get the call the truck is ready. Go by after hours and pick it up and a few weird noises but I figure it has been sitting for 5 weeks. Drive it the 65 mile to work and get a nice gas smell when I get there. Turn it off and notice a nice bue mark in the rain puddle. Pop the hood and notice they failed to correctly bolt down the HPFP which is now shot. On a good side they claimed there was no warping of the heads so I guess that's a plus.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Well, they got her running and then she threw a po620 code so they are trying to track that down.
Generator control circuit malfunction. Generator, regulator or ECM connection.

NAndrews33

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Just want to remind people NOT to use stop leak. It's absolutely terrible. Especially ones for coolant. It clogs passages and CAN cause more issues than the leak would. If you are really hurting for cash, sure. But really try to avoid using it if you can.
Got that right. Tried to use it on my 06 Ranger few years back to stop a small radiator leak before I could get it replaced. That stuff ended up sealing off my water pump as I'm on a major highway doing 80mph. Got lucky I was able to limp back home without any major damage.

OP
OP

PascoPatio

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat
Well it keeps getting better. Picked it up Friday night drive her into work on Saturday and theres a small puddle of oil under the truck. Get under and oil all over the place. Hopefully they failed to clean it up after the tear down, but oil level dropped a tad. Also appears they damaged and replaced the radiator in the process. So I dropped it back this am with all that and now tranny making noise.

Has anyone heard of having trans issue with a radiator install? Just seems odd that after 7 weeks at the dealer now the trans is acting up, with no problem beforehand.

end rant.