First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x4 Lariat - Saber
Occupation
I'm fly. I'm pilot.
To say I drive spirited is an understatement, places to be and things to do. When its done will I reinstall Torrie’s tune? of course.
Sitting at 70k myself, tuned since 30k and I tow. This is worrisome that it might happen to me, but I agree wholeheartedly. When an engine is making 150hp/L it's working hard. Hardly Ford's fault.

If it happens, I'll pay to fix it. It's a great truck, why wouldn't I? And the tune goes RIGHT back on.
Sponsored

awd.nv

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
AND this is why I want to install an aftermarket radiator. Im worried about head gaskets when the miles are added. Towing uphill (and passing big rigs) I saw it hit 238F twice. Usually it is under 220F but sometimes she will head into the 220F range.

I'm worried breaking 230F will cause head gasket issues in the future.

66F100

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2WD XLT SCAB
Occupation
Lineman
AND this is why I want to install an aftermarket radiator. Im worried about head gaskets when the miles are added. Towing uphill (and passing big rigs) I saw it hit 238F twice. Usually it is under 220F but sometimes she will head into the 220F range.

Could you use a high performance coolant? I am no cooling expert but I have heard that there are coolants that perform better than the OEM stuff.

-edit-
Looks like my statement was uninformed. The other options with coolant are designed to be ran in race engines as an additive to mostly water. Not something you want in a truck that sees below freezing temps. My Bad!

Last edited:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
You really can't drive that fast for that long on the street. You run out of asphalt or run into trees. The WOT for every on ramp gets old after a while.
Wow, really? :facepalm:

So you've been on every road all over the US have you? You've obviously never driven out here? I can go miles without ever seeing another vehicle, trees or running out of asphalt. I've also been throughout most of the state of FL too and can tell you there are MANY roads you can do this on there too. You might want to venture out of the city once in a while, there's more to WOT than an on ramp.

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazdaspeed3, M3
Occupation
EHS
FWIW, I had another car with an engine that was somewhat of a precursor to the Ecoboost. My car ran better with less knock (basically none at WOT) on an aftermarket tune and I flogged the car for 115k miles (175k on the car) with the tune before I traded it in. People were more likely to blow their engines on stock ECU calibration than a good aftermarket one. The guy in the video I posted a page or two back had/has 500whp on his stock block Mazdaspeed and was making that for several years. I really believe driving habits and diligent monitoring of logs is what allowed me to have fun with mine and prevent it from going Zoom Zoom Boom during my 12 years of ownership. IMO, everyone who flashes a tune on their truck should be monitoring logs or it's just a guessing game as to what's happening with the engine, tuned or not. Again, just my experience on this. Hopefully the OP shares the mode of failure so we can all speculate until then lol.

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 75 crewcab F350, 65 Mustang
Occupation
Retired from Honda Racing.
WOT for every on ramp gets old after a while.
The WOT on every ramp never gets old, or any place that it can be done safely or without supporting the municipal court system (AKA ticket)
That's one of the reasons I got this truck, I can hammer it and still get 15 MPG, the F150 I traded in would manage 7-8 MPG with a heavy foot.
But I'm an old racer that gets in practice laps on every road I drive?

Leftcoast

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Crewcab

So you've been on every road all over the US have you? You've obviously never driven out here? I can go miles without ever seeing another vehicle, trees or running out of asphalt. I've also been throughout most of the state of FL too and can tell you there are MANY roads you can do this on there too. You might want to venture out of the city once in a while, there's more to WOT than an on ramp.
Now sweatheart you misinterpreted my post. Spooling at WOT down a straight country road doesn't curl my toes. It hasn't since I was in my early 20s. Now jetting through a tight mountain road still elevates my BP. Unfortunately armco barriers don't make proper runoff. When I want my risk fix I'll throw a leg over my motorcycle. Everything else is just thumbing the pud.

66F100

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2WD XLT SCAB
Occupation
Lineman
FWIW, I had another car with an engine that was somewhat of a precursor to the Ecoboost. My car ran better with less knock (basically none at WOT) on an aftermarket tune and I flogged the car for 115k miles (175k on the car) with the tune before I traded it in. People were more likely to blow their engines on stock ECU calibration than a good aftermarket one. The guy in the video I posted a page or two back had/has 500whp on his stock block Mazdaspeed and was making that for several years. I really believe driving habits and diligent monitoring of logs is what allowed me to have fun with mine and prevent it from going Zoom Zoom Boom during my 12 years of ownership. IMO, everyone who flashes a tune on their truck should be monitoring logs or it's just a guessing game as to what's happening with the engine, tuned or not. Again, just my experience on this. Hopefully the OP shares the mode of failure so we can all speculate until then lol.
I monitor logs everytime I cut firewood or hike.

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO

So you've been on every road all over the US have you? You've obviously never driven out here?. I've also been throughout most of the state of FL too and can tell you there are MANY roads you can do this on there too. You might want to venture out of the city once in a while, there's more to WOT than an on ramp.
Now you're making me jealous Dave. At one time I could do that in my area. But, with the second invasion of the south, and those folks bringing their bad habits with them, I can't find a road without traffic anymore. And, it seems like 99.9% of the cars have a loose nut behind the wheel. :explode:

Last edited:

awd.nv

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
Could you use a high performance coolant? I am no cooling expert but I have heard that there are coolants that perform better than the OEM stuff.

-edit-
Looks like my statement was uninformed. The other options with coolant are designed to be ran in race engines as an additive to mostly water. Not something you want in a truck that sees below freezing temps. My Bad!
Yeah the additives hardly do anything. Water Wetter was a classic but when I tried on other vehicles the temps were within margin of error, so no change.

There are other types of fluids out there, forgot the names but they are a water/coolant replacement and sometimes need a few upgrades, not something worth it for the Ranger.

So, you weren't totally wrong, just nothing really better than just getting the Mishimoto radiator.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Now sweatheart you misinterpreted my post. Spooling at WOT down a straight country road doesn't curl my toes. It hasn't since I was in my early 20s. Now jetting through a tight mountain road still elevates my BP. Unfortunately armco barriers don't make proper runoff. When I want my risk fix I'll throw a leg over my motorcycle. Everything else is just thumbing the pud.
I wasn't really talking about wide open country roads either. Take a ride up to Jerome on 89A and then done the back side into Prescott. This road was built for a motorcycles as there are 132 turns in 12 miles down the back side of it. You will see motorcycle parts like a fairing piece with cross next to it all up and down the side of that road. There are some good areas though where you can get on it and WOT in the truck. :wink:

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x4 Lariat - Saber
Occupation
I'm fly. I'm pilot.

I've only hit over 230° once, I think. I was towing, uphill, in the desert. Gotta slow down for those grades. I was on the stock intercooler, then. And intake air temps definitely effect coolant temps under load. The last time I came through the desert it was considerably cooler, but I don't think I saw over 210°.

I agree, keeping the temps down is a good idea, still. We have to remember that even the big rigs can't go WOT over the mountain. Why should our passenger vehicles be any better?

Leftcoast

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Crewcab
I wasn't really talking about wide open country roads either. Take a ride up to Jerome on 89A and then done the back side into Prescott. This road was built for a motorcycles as there are 132 turns in 12 miles down the back side of it. You will see motorcycle parts like a fairing piece with cross next to it all up and down the side of that road. There are some good areas though where you can get on it and WOT in the truck. :wink:
Highway 36 from Fortuna to Red Bluff. I thought I heard they finally took the sign down.

highway 36.jpg

dokkerdam

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX SuperCab
Occupation
flight instructor
time to belly up to the Barr . I remember using barr's stop leak on a radiator many years back and it was awesome. and as you can see you currently may qualify a $10 rebate !

1624918174675.png
1624918174675.png
motor medic

Reactions: Doc

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
motor medic
I think most realized I was attempting humor - however decades ago I recall using Barr stop leak for a radiator coolant leak and it kicked *ss .
Sponsored