First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Occupation
Employed
Don't worry, I hear the corvette trans is getting a recall.
They gotta keep the work consistent.

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
If the cylinder is cracked, no.

My main point was, if it is just a head gasket problem, there's no special reason you can't replace the head gasket and roll with it (Assuming all the underlying machine work is done and everything else checked).
Well, when we were getting the FSA done on the cars it was very hit or miss if the dealer did the job right and we got back a trouble-free car. A fellow local RS owner got his done and it was never right, he attempted to pick it up several times from the dealer and every time it would start throwing codes and the dash would turn into a Christmas tree before he was a block from the dealer. He ended up returning it to the dealer as a lemon law return. That was an all-too-common problem with the FSA, dealers just didn't seem to be properly trained or equipped to do the job. I had a dealer flat out say they don't have the tools needed and told me to go elsewhere.

Perhaps Ford as decided to not have dealers to head gaskets on the 2.3EB after those problems happened the last time they had a bunch of head gaskets done.

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
I dont disagree - but the original problem should have happened either. These trucks are ALL still NEW. Hardly any are over 100k miles yet. I wont say the sky is falling, but if I ever buy another ford truck I will be working into my budget money for a new transmission within the first 5 years, and I wouldnt be surprised if I were to lose another engine.
Yeah fair enough, but if you are driving like a complete yobbo and are not maintaining the vehicle and are being negligent you are going to break something. I will be the first to agree with you that there are issues especially with the 10r80 however the 2.3? IDK man, op has shown a pattern of gross negligence when it comes to basic maintenance and addressing the issues that come from them. If you don't maintain your vehicle and beat it up bad it will conk out regardless of how well its built or otherwise reliable it is.

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
Well, when we were getting the FSA done on the cars it was very hit or miss if the dealer did the job right and we got back a trouble-free car. A fellow local RS owner got his done and it was never right, he attempted to pick it up several times from the dealer and every time it would start throwing codes and the dash would turn into a Christmas tree before he was a block from the dealer. He ended up returning it to the dealer as a lemon law return. That was an all-too-common problem with the FSA, dealers just didn't seem to be properly trained or equipped to do the job. I had a dealer flat out say they don't have the tools needed and told me to go elsewhere.

Perhaps Ford as decided to not have dealers to head gaskets on the 2.3EB after those problems happened the last time they had a bunch of head gaskets done.
I mean, I am not sure I would want one of the mechanics at the dealership rebuilding my motor, nothing against dealership mechanics. I'd rather have them swap a motor instead of disassemble and rebuild mine... The person who built the crate motor probably has a bit more experience assembly internals than the dealership mechanic.

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
I understand that.

It is a infintesimally small percentage.

If you designed something would you not want to understand why it fails, even once?
In an ideal world yes, but in the real world you gotta understand there is a proper margin for error and acceptable variances. I had the issue myself but still, everything has qc issues and there are margins built into production for those inevitable issues.

bbeverag

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat Tremor
If you designed something would you not want to understand why it fails, even once?
Not for one failure. There is a trade off in the time investment. For the 'common' failure of the CDF drum, they did investigate, and there was a redesign in late 2022.
While the" failure" rate may be small , the "Holy Crap!!! This is the harshest transmission I've ever owned" rate is 100% in my world , keep her in S and always drive like im late (usually true ) and she shifts like a champ , any other scenario is unpleasant at best and "did i just get rear ended ???" at worst ... still wouldn't trade it for any other truck out there, as of now anyway...
I am a slushbox hater and really didn't want to get an automatic transmission, but I also didn't want to buy a tacoma. I had a Maverick before my Ranger, and I don't think the Ranger shifts harsh at all. I only have 12k miles, so maybe it will change later on.

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
I had a Maverick before my Ranger, and I don't think the Ranger shifts harsh at all. I only have 12k miles, so maybe it will change later on.
Mine has been harsh from day one , looks like you got a good one , which the vast majority of them are , just not mine ...

AvockAdoo

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Engineer
Yeah fair enough, but if you are driving like a complete yobbo and are not maintaining the vehicle and are being negligent you are going to break something. I will be the first to agree with you that there are issues especially with the 10r80 however the 2.3? IDK man, op has shown a pattern of gross negligence when it comes to basic maintenance and addressing the issues that come from them. If you don't maintain your vehicle and beat it up bad it will conk out regardless of how well its built or otherwise reliable it is.
You're not wrong here. I maintain my vehicles to the T though, and it happened to me. 5k motorcraft oil changes, all diff/t-case services at the correct mileage, and I never flogged the truck either. My engine popped at 36,400 miles. Ford replaced the motor obviously, but it took them 3 months to do it - in the mean time I got a different truck.

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
You're not wrong here. I maintain my vehicles to the T though, and it happened to me. 5k motorcraft oil changes, all diff/t-case services at the correct mileage, and I never flogged the truck either. My engine popped at 36,400 miles. Ford replaced the motor obviously, but it took them 3 months to do it - in the mean time I got a different truck.
Did you go through water or something with the motor hot? Cause if not that sounds like shit luck and you got a lemon

AvockAdoo

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Engineer
Did you go through water or something with the motor hot? Cause if not that sounds like shit luck and you got a lemon
Never off roaded it, never forded rivers, the roughest it saw was forest service roads. Always warmed it up before really getting on it - I've owned many turbo vehicles, this 2.3 was probably just a lemon - but it ended my relationship with ford - likely forever.

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Never off roaded it, never forded rivers, the roughest it saw was forest service roads. Always warmed it up before really getting on it - I've owned many turbo vehicles, this 2.3 was probably just a lemon - but it ended my relationship with ford - likely forever.
Totally fair honestly, that sucks man I cant blame you for jumping ship

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
My biggest fear with this truck is not warming it before driving it... Every morning I start it 5-10 minutes before getting in to go... Now you've ruined that for me, thanks.

😂

Back to basil hayden I go.

Stevedbvik1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor XLT
Occupation
Retired
What specifically happened to your engine ? ( if that was shared with you). “ Popped “ doesn’t really tell us anything.
Sponsored