84k and time for a head gasket

PascoPatio

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat
Took her into the dealer to look for a coolant leak, at first they came back with small crack in the reservoir, wouldn't open up until heated up and under pressure. They ordered a new tank and low and behold they left it pressurized over night and still dropped fluid. Well that sucks.
Sponsored

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Hard to believe that the head gasket would have blown at 84K miles, unless it overheated prior to the coolant tank being replaced.

They said the coolant level dropped, but by how much? If it only dropped by a small amount then that is not uncommon as the system cools back down. If by a lot then it is possible that there was/is air in the system from the reservoir being replaced and it simply worked that out causing the coolant level to drop. Most modern cooling setups really need to have a vacuum on the cooling system if a fair bit of air was allowed to get into the system. Some cooling systems can take days to a week or more to work all the air bubbles out and make one think that it's losing coolant past the head gasket.

IngotTexasRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport
Vehicle Showcase
OPs post history says he's been tuned since 5k. Similar ecoboom issue as tuned Mustangs with the 2.3 and why I didn't tune mine while I had it. Issues become pretty common with these motors when tuned, but they are great when left stock.

OP
OP

PascoPatio

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat
Yes, tuned since 5k, I believe it happened a few months ago. Took it in for an overheat and they blamed it on the turbo issue and they put a new one in. It has dropped approx. a quart of fluid since then. They claimed no scoring when they scoped it, but will know when they tear it down.

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Oh boy, can't wait to update y'all on how my truck comes around as the miles tack on. Thanks for updating us Pasco. What tune did you have by chance?

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Yes, tuned since 5k, I believe it happened a few months ago. Took it in for an overheat and they blamed it on the turbo issue and they put a new one in. It has dropped approx. a quart of fluid since then. They claimed no scoring when they scoped it, but will know when they tear it down.
Yep.. Warped head and allowing a small amount of coolant to leak into either a cylinder or the crank case. The latter would be easy to identify as your oil would look like chocolate milk. You're looking at also having to have the head resurfaced as well. Hopefully the head isn't cracked.. Cause those are not cheap at $550-780...

OP
OP

PascoPatio

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat
Nothing noticeable in the oil. Was changed a week prior to taking it in.

Strokerduster

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger XLT, 2019 Edge ST, 1946 CJ2a street rod, shop full of motoorcycles
Vehicle Showcase
Easy to verify with test fluid.....

56154_W3.jpg

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
time to belly up to the Barr . I remember using barr's stop leak on a radiator many years back and it was awesome. and as you can see you currently may qualify a $10 rebate !

1624918174675.png
1624918174675.png

Last edited:

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazdaspeed3, M3
Occupation
EHS
Let us know what the verdict on the failure mode was, @PascoPatio. Might as well do a built long block at this point if it's kaput ?
Sponsored