8492 - 2019 Ranger - Trailer Brake Controller Availability

gremlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, looking to buy a ranger, some other toys
Here you go:

Any wrinkles you create should go away once pushed back into place (you can see one near my rear facing dashcam when I am pulling, and it's gone once I've pushed it back).

Dealing with the connector in there is still not the easiest thing in the world but it's definitely doable.

Oh and if you unscrew the CHMSL itself you can probably make it even easier.
fantastic thank you! I'll give that a shot!
Sponsored

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer / IT Admin
Hi Gremlin,

Search these formums and you will find that you can access the CHMSL at the under dash fuse block...no need to go to the rear light. Why the directions indicate this has to be generic...No need for the headliner tear up.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
@Rinn69 seems to have found it:

Here it is !!! Pics too.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/chmsl-3rd-brake-light-strobe-module.13282/

Question---How do you manually apply the trailer brakes with the EBC controller ?? The integrated brake controller in my Ram had a sliding/squeeze paddle, like most other aftermarket styles.

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
I wish I knew about that when I did mine. Would have made the job so much easier. The wire looks easily accessible and doesn't appear to be super tightly grouped or nested or anything. ?

gremlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, looking to buy a ranger, some other toys
@TechnicallyReal that video was awesome gave me the confidence I needed to do it and last night I finished it up, was actually super easy. One question for you though, after you put the headliner back up is there some float to it, I can't tell if I got the pieces popped back in that "popped" when I pulled it down, I can push up and down on it and get some float.

I actually just realised I forgot to re-seat the connector that holds the wire in place, so I'll likely have to pull it down again to fix that, but that'll take all of minute or so.

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
@TechnicallyReal that video was awesome gave me the confidence I needed to do it and last night I finished it up, was actually super easy. One question for you though, after you put the headliner back up is there some float to it, I can't tell if I got the pieces popped back in that "popped" when I pulled it down, I can push up and down on it and get some float.

I actually just realised I forgot to re-seat the connector that holds the wire in place, so I'll likely have to pull it down again to fix that, but that'll take all of minute or so.
I haven't noticed that with mine other than right at the edge where there's nothing holding it up but the lip over the window. Maybe a clip or two got pulled further from the edge of yours and just needs to be popped back in? I'll see if I can find the image showing where those are. EDIT: can't find'em

MattH

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4
So I started working on installing mine this afternoon and as I was about to finish doing the wiring under the dash I noticed two o-rings sitting in the driver footwell. Any ideas on where the hell these came from while I was working in there?
IMG_1989.jpg

jcw001

Banned
Banned
First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger
@gremlin

look at my thread for chmsl strobe. Sorry, on phone so can’t link
@Tom_C

If I am reading this correctly, once I locate the ye/gr wire from the BCM chmsl connector, I have no need to run to the third brake light? That would be a game changer in install time!

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
@Tom_C

If I am reading this correctly, once I locate the ye/gr wire from the BCM chmsl connector, I have no need to run to the third brake light? That would be a game changer in install time!
Other than not being able to use the supplied connector to tap into the chmsl, no. You can use that wire under the dash for the signal required to work the brake controller.

jcw001

Banned
Banned
First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger
Other than not being able to use the supplied connector to tap into the chmsl, no. You can use that wire under the dash for the signal required to work the brake controller.
Cool, thanks.

My thought is that if you just have to tap into that ye/gr wire, there is no need to run all the way to the 3rd brake light. That will save a ton of time - and, I will already be right there splicing the other 4 wires.

jcw001

Banned
Banned
First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger
The last piece of this puzzle is to find the diagrams to get up the trim panels to install the knob next to the shifter aft of the 4X knob selector. Once I find that thead, I will be ready for the install which I am planning for this Saturday (as I am also installing the OEM bed light kit since I'll have the battery disconnected.)

I am terrible with the search function though. :(

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
The last piece of this puzzle is to find the diagrams to get up the trim panels to install the knob next to the shifter aft of the 4X knob selector. Once I find that thead, I will be ready for the install which I am planning for this Saturday (as I am also installing the OEM bed light kit since I'll have the battery disconnected.)

I am terrible with the search function though. :(
Just use a trim tool along the edges, it just pops right up. You can actually manipulate them though to pry it apart with just your hands. They're just the typical trim clips.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
@Tom_C

Yes. The wire bundle that I show has some tape around it to secure the wires. Unwrap the tape and locate the wire. There are 2 similar wires that appeared to me at the time to be the same colors, but later I figured out one was y/purple, I think. To be sure you can trace the wire back to the pin I said.... I don't remember what it was, but it's in my post. No need to run to the 3rd brake light if you do it like I showed.

To the person who found the extra o-rings. No idea what that is for.

Edit: Here's my thread. https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/chmsl-3rd-brake-light-strobe-module.13282/ y/grey goes to pin 13

jcw001

Banned
Banned
First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger
Yes. The wire bundle that I show has some tape around it to secure the wires. Unwrap the tape and locate the wire. There are 2 similar wires that appeared to me at the time to be the same colors, but later I figured out one was y/purple, I think. To be sure you can trace the wire back to the pin I said.... I don't remember what it was, but it's in my post. No need to run to the 3rd brake light if you do it like I showed.

To the person who found the extra o-rings. No idea what that is for.

Edit: Here's my thread. https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/chmsl-3rd-brake-light-strobe-module.13282/ y/grey goes to pin 13
Awesome, thanks!

jcw001

Banned
Banned
First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger
Just use a trim tool along the edges, it just pops right up. You can actually manipulate them though to pry it apart with just your hands. They're just the typical trim clips.
Thanks.

I thought I read in another thread that the trim where the 12Vs are as well as one other piece of trim had to come off before the console trim would actually come out.

I need to take it fully out so that I can trim the underside and drill the holes.
Sponsored