5star tune - poor mpg and traction controll light issue

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Update,

First, anyone want me to move this 2021 ranger tuning and TC activation issue to a separate thread?

I tested the 87 tow tune from Unleashed and the TC issue does not happen as far as I can tell. I actually really like how the tow tune shifts. Anyway, Unleashed got back to me with a config files for data logging and asked me to log the issue for them to analyze. Going to try to get the logs tomorrow. This is great and frankly what I expect from a custom e-tuner. From my Subaru days I am used to collecting logs, sending them, getting an updated tune, repeat until the tune is the best that it can be.

Haven't heard back from 5star yet.
Tested: So pushing the TC button (not holding it) disables TC enough to be able to pass on the highway with no pulled power or flashy light.
Sponsored

OP
OP

CJBax

First Name
Cruiser
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Software Development
Tested: So pushing the TC button (not holding it) disables TC enough to be able to pass on the highway with no pulled power or flashy light.
I observed the same behavior, pushing the button once prevents the issue but for me personally is not a good solution. Have you reached out to Livernois again? Perhaps they will analyze some logs for you? It'd be really great if we have multiple tuners trying to resolve the issue on multiple 2021 rangers. The fact that it happens for me on every single custom performance tune but that it does not happen with the canned tunes or the custom tow tunes leads me to the feeling that it is happening after certain power/torque gains and may not be solvable without reducing the gains the tune gives. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what the tuners discover after analyzing some logs.

*edit*
I'm not holding my breath for 5star to get back to me any time soon. I'd love to have them working on a diagnosis as well but my experience with them so far hasn't been nearly as positive as my experience with Unleashed.

Reactions: Doc

wetidlerjr

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger XLT, SCrew, FX4, Shadow Blk, Blk App Pkg
Occupation
Retired Railroad Construction Signalman
OK, I'm down for this. I have that 42k points burning a hole in my browser. I was going to buy a swing case, but I can get that cheaper anyway. ;)
I had the FORD tune installed this week. I got it from Levittown Ford (https://www.levittownfordparts.com/) for $640.82 and my dealer charged $112.00 (paid with points) to install which took about an hour. Benny from Levittown will give you a code for free shipping for the asking. So far I am impressed with the power increase, etc. It, also, has a warranty (3yr, 36k from your date of purchase of THE VEHICLE). This was the easiest route for me as I have no real desire to switch around multiple tunes. YMMV

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I observed the same behavior, pushing the button once prevents the issue but for me personally is not a good solution. Have you reached out to Livernois again? Perhaps they will analyze some logs for you? It'd be really great if we have multiple tuners trying to resolve the issue on multiple 2021 rangers. The fact that it happens for me on every single custom performance tune but that it does not happen with the canned tunes or the custom tow tunes leads me to the feeling that it is happening after certain power/torque gains and may not be solvable without reducing the gains the tune gives. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what the tuners discover after analyzing some logs.

*edit*
I'm not holding my breath for 5star to get back to me any time soon. I'd love to have them working on a diagnosis as well but my experience with them so far hasn't been nearly as positive as my experience with Unleashed.
I pressed Livernois initially but they didn't show an interest in a solution other than disabling TC. After reading some of the other forums it seems like it's a common issue for tuned vehicles, but usually happens at launch. I've been so happy with Livernois customer service but this issue introduces a safety concern. If I can't pass safely and reliably I won't use the tune. It's not worth it.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
I had the FORD tune installed this week. I got it from Levittown Ford (https://www.levittownfordparts.com/) for $640.82 and my dealer charged $112.00 (paid with points) to install which took about an hour. Benny from Levittown will give you a code for free shipping for the asking. So far I am impressed with the power increase, etc. It, also, has a warranty (3yr, 36k from your date of purchase of THE VEHICLE). This was the easiest route for me as I have no real desire to switch around multiple tunes. YMMV
Please post back once you play a bit. After reading more on tunes and finding out that the ford tune doesn't cover the full 5 year powertrain warranty, I think I will wait. I'm going to run 93 gas and maybe use sport mode exclusively for one tank and see how the mileage is vs regular D mode.

I usually drive like an old lady, though I do mash it occasionally for fun, but that will probably fade in time... or, not :)

SilverSlugger

First Name
Wally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Baking
After reading this entire thread I think for everyone having the TC issues you never updated your tire size.

When you put the bigger tire on I think this is messing with the tune&TC.

Has anyone had this problem AFTER adjusting for bigger tires?

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After reading this entire thread I think for everyone having the TC issues you never updated your tire size.

Yes. I had the same thought as you. I've tried same as factory, calculated based on size, and the tire manufacturer's suggested revs. They all still produce the TC reaction.

OP
OP

CJBax

First Name
Cruiser
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Software Development

Stock fx4 tires, I didn't change them. No part mods at all, just a tune.

OP
OP

CJBax

First Name
Cruiser
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Software Development
Update.

Haven't had time to do the logs for Unleashed so I've been driving on the tow tune a last flashed. Yesterday I had the TC light flash while merging onto the highway, then again later while accelerating WOT to pass, going from about 55 to 70mph. Flashed back to stock at my next stop then later merging on the same on ramp the issue occurred at the same speeds and place, so I thought maybe it was the road and me going WOT. Just to be safe though I took the truck to get the TC system looked at as a possible safety issue. Anyways, I was told that there are only two possibilities that would cause the TC to activate and pull power or slow wheels, a faulty TC system, or loss of traction, however small. And I was told my TC system is functioning normally so their diagnosis was that there was some form of traction loss and at those speeds it is most likely very slight lateral movement of the tires vs direction of travel, but that it could also be wheel spin, though wheel spin is much more likely in lower gears during hard acceleration. Anyway, I mentioned that I had run a performance tune and with the tune the issue happened much more frequently and the guy said that if the tune is providing a significant torque increase that it would make it more likely to lose traction during quick acceleration and at moments of peak torque. However, he did say that he was just making a very reasonable assumption about why it would happen more with the tune and told me I could test the theory by putting the truck in 4x4 and doing the same things that caused the TC light before, with the tune applied. I did just that, though I only put it in 4x4 when I was planning to WOT and when I new it would likely flash the TC light, because I know the 4x4 system isn't supposed to be used on dry hard surfaces so I didn't want to just leave it on. Anyway, tune flashed and 4x4 activated before WOT (mostly while merging on highways, where the issue frequently happened before) and zero TC light while in 4x4. Left it in 4x2 and bam! TC light while WOT merging onto the highway or sometimes while passing on the highway. Hmmm... interesting. @CO2Ranger, perhaps see if it happens in 4x4?

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update.

Haven't had time to do the logs for Unleashed so I've been driving on the tow tune a last flashed. Yesterday I had the TC light flash while merging onto the highway, then again later while accelerating WOT to pass, going from about 55 to 70mph. Flashed back to stock at my next stop then later merging on the same on ramp the issue occurred at the same speeds and place, so I thought maybe it was the road and me going WOT. Just to be safe though I took the truck to get the TC system looked at as a possible safety issue. Anyways, I was told that there are only two possibilities that would cause the TC to activate and pull power or slow wheels, a faulty TC system, or loss of traction, however small. And I was told my TC system is functioning normally so their diagnosis was that there was some form of traction loss and at those speeds it is most likely very slight lateral movement of the tires vs direction of travel, but that it could also be wheel spin, though wheel spin is much more likely in lower gears during hard acceleration. Anyway, I mentioned that I had run a performance tune and with the tune the issue happened much more frequently and the guy said that if the tune is providing a significant torque increase that it would make it more likely to lose traction during quick acceleration and at moments of peak torque. However, he did say that he was just making a very reasonable assumption about why it would happen more with the tune and told me I could test the theory by putting the truck in 4x4 and doing the same things that caused the TC light before, with the tune applied. I did just that, though I only put it in 4x4 when I was planning to WOT and when I new it would likely flash the TC light, because I know the 4x4 system isn't supposed to be used on dry hard surfaces so I didn't want to just leave it on. Anyway, tune flashed and 4x4 activated before WOT (mostly while merging on highways, where the issue frequently happened before) and zero TC light while in 4x4. Left it in 4x2 and bam! TC light while WOT merging onto the highway or sometimes while passing on the highway. Hmmm... interesting. @CO2Ranger, perhaps see if it happens in 4x4?
Wow, glad the tech was so helpful even after you mentioned the tune. I'll give 4wd a shot. I can also just take TC off to pass when it's dry and pop it back on right away. I'll let you know what I find out when I try it.

OP
OP

CJBax

First Name
Cruiser
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Software Development
Wow, glad the tech was so helpful even after you mentioned the tune. I'll give 4wd a shot. I can also just take TC off to pass when it's dry and pop it back on right away. I'll let you know what I find out when I try it.
I seriously doubt they could link a tune to an issue with the TC system and they had to look at the system because if it was faulty it'd be a show stopper safety issue. Now, if I blow the engine they may deny warranty coverage.

the5Gmartian

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
U.S. Navy
Copy. So, for the ford tune, do I need to buy anything else, or just go to the dealer and say tune it? And, I guess with ford I just get the one, no other options like 87, 93, tow?

added. And, if it improved mileage, why not do that from stock?
You don’t need to buy anything else and I recommend buying from Levittown Ford. They don’t charge for shipping or sales tax if you message their account on here and ask for a code. A Ford dealer can install it, but you will likely have to do some hunting. I took mine to 4 dealers before I found one that would actually install it (you can do it yourself, but you’ll lose the warranty). Make sure you register it to your name first as well because if you just hand the dealer the box, they will register it in theirs. I love my FPP tune btw and I have no issues at all. I’ve seen about a 2mpg increase. It’s only the one tune as well so you can tow, daily drive and let it rip without thinking about it.

OP
OP

CJBax

First Name
Cruiser
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Software Development
Finally had communication from 5star, well sort of... so after radio silence I get an email with instructions to download and load my tune, the same type of email I initially got from them. No explanation of what was adjusted, no requests for logs, nothing at all. I also asked them why they had only provided 4 tunes when I payed for 5 and asked for my fifth tune. No response about that at all. So I went to the Google drive link in the email and saw perf 91 v2 tune. That's it. No other information about it at all and my fifth tune was not there either. Ok, I'm done with 5star and if I could get my money back I definitely would. They didn't even look at a single log from me! Anyway, like an idiot I loaded the tune to see what they changed. Shifting was sort of improved but only slightly, still hard jerking clunky Shifting into some gears during accelerating and deceleration. On top of the mystery v2 tune and it's mediocre shifts, absolutely every time I accelerated on the highway the TC light went completely crazy! No idea what the hell was going on! Wow. I was completely baffled. Then, the cherry on the top of this pile of shit tune was that contrary to all of my original tunes (in accordance with my explicit request) this new mystery v2 tune completely disabled my auto stop/start! That pissed me off. Yes, I understand that many folks want that feature disabled but I do not, I like it and I specifically asked for it to be left ENABLED. overall this shows me a complete lack of attention to detail and professionalism, in addition to a complete lack of technical expertise and and skill. The very first thing 5star should have done after receiving my email about the issues I have with the tune is request data logs from me so they could analyze them and make appropriate adjustments for my specific trucks behavior.

I removed the 5star tune from my truck, flashed back the Unleashed tune, and removed the 5star tune files completely from my SCT BDX. I do not believe the 5star tune is safe to run on my truck. I will never deal with 5star again and I will never recommend them.

Ok, hope this helps someone else who may be researching tunes in the future. This is the last update I will post in here, sticking with Unleashed all the way.

Last edited:

TOMDEE

Banned
Banned
First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 lariat
Occupation
retired
2021 Ranger XLT FX4. SCT BDX with 5star tunes for:
87 daily
87 Perf
91 Perf
93 Perf

I tried the 91 Performance tune first, using 92 pump gas. Shifting is SUPER harsh, like ridiculously... a few times I thought I has hit something the shift was so harsh! Then there is the mpg... stock tune driving normally with occasional highway passing and light spirited driving gives me about 20-22 mpg. The 5star tunes have yet to get me over 17 mpg, with the 91 tune averaging around 15.8 mpg, all with the same driving habits as stock and on the same routs for the se amount of time. The most concerning issue though, was the odd traction control light flashing when I don't think it should. I fully get it flashing when the tires break loos while accelerating quickly on wet road or just hiting wot from a stop, but what I thing is concerning is when entering the highway or other similar situations, the light flashes while wot from about 58mph to 70mph. Always within that range and in different locations, dry road. I seriously doubt the tires are breaking loose at those speeds! Anyway, my real question, after reading about others having issues with 5star tunes, is; what other tuners will write custome ranger tunes for the SCT BDX? I am not apposed to selling the SCT and buying something else if it means better custom tuner options.

Last note: I noticed that the SCT BDX now has pre-loaded tunes for the 2021 ranger after latest software update, it did not have pre-loaded tunes as an option when I first got it. I tried the 91 SCT tune and it was pretty decent. Smooth shifting, noticeable increase in power, mpg similar to stock when driven the same. As a last resort if a custom tuner other than 5syar is unavailable for the SCT, I may give the SCT tune a go. Anyone out there using the SCT pre-loaded tune on a 2021 ranger? Or any other year ranger if not 2021. If so, what do you think of the SCT tune? It's nowhere near the power increase of custom tune but it is a pleasantly noticeable increase.

Regards.
I INSTALLED THE SOFTWARE USING MY FORD PERFORMANCE TUNER. 320HP 380 TORQUE 91 OCTANE 26 MPG NORMAL CITY/HIGHWAY DRIVING. NO FLASHING DASH LIGHTS OR ANY OTHER PROBLEMS. TRANSMISSION SHIFTING IS NOT NOTICABLE AT ALL...https://www.partsengine.ca/M-12655-F-vp-ford-performance-435.aspx?gclid=CjwKCAiA76-dBhByEiwAA0_s9RvpJ8UgnNow8y4GdkcBHeZoPwJTzlgEdHi2mhEjJsOEDaJbeyjdRBoCsxsQAvD_BwE
Sponsored