5star tune - poor mpg and traction controll light issue

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
I'm off by 3-4 MPH at highway speeds so I need to try a different setting for sure. Thanks for posting your #'s.
Just an update on my Livernois tune. My traction control light goes on when accelerating even moderately above about 60mph. Livernois told me to just turn traction control off.

Honestly, I'm not happy with that answer. My 2019 didn't do this with the same tune. So either Ford changed something or Livernois did, but those tires are nowhere near breaking loose in 8th gear and the truck cutting power when I'm trying to pass someone is a bit ridiculous and dangerous.

Anyone else with a 21 running Livernois and having this problem?
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc
OP
OP

CJBax

First Name
Cruiser
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Software Development
Just an update on my Livernois tune. My traction control light goes on when accelerating even moderately above about 60mph. Livernois told me to just turn traction control off.

Honestly, I'm not happy with that answer. My 2019 didn't do this with the same tune. So either Ford changed something or Livernois did, but those tires are nowhere near breaking loose in 8th gear and the truck cutting power when I'm trying to pass someone is a bit ridiculous and dangerous.

Anyone else with a 21 running Livernois and having this problem?
Hi,

So after having the TC light issue with 5star tune (among other things I disliked about the tune) I got an Unleashed tune which generally I like a lot more than the 5star. However, after more testing with the Unleashed tune I am having the TC light issue as well. Since you also have a 2021 and yet a different tune, U am inclined to think that the issue is not with the tunes but with the 2021 traction control and a tuned vehicle. Actually, the only tune that I have tested a lot and not had the TC light blinking in higher gears/speeds, I the pre-loaded tune for the SCT BDX. I imagine the ford official performance tune will also not have the issue (guessing) and from reading it sounds like the FPP tune and the SCT canned tune have similar power gains. So my guess is that something with how the 2021 TC is calibrated is causing it to not play nice with more than just a mild power increase from a tune. It sucks but it is what it is I guess. Perhaps it may be possible for a tuner to solve the issue if they get some logs or something, who knows. In any case, turning TC OFF on the highway to prevent the TC light issue is frankly a terrible idea! Probably fine on a controlled track to do some safe 0-60's but definitely not during normal driving. Especially for me out here in the Puget Sound area where it's always rainy and the traction control is super helpful on hills and stuff around town.

• Sad

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Hi,

So after having the TC light issue with 5star tune (among other things I disliked about the tune) I got an Unleashed tune which generally I like a lot more than the 5star. However, after more testing with the Unleashed tune I am having the TC light issue as well. Since you also have a 2021 and yet a different tune, U am inclined to think that the issue is not with the tunes but with the 2021 traction control and a tuned vehicle. Actually, the only tune that I have tested a lot and not had the TC light blinking in higher gears/speeds, I the pre-loaded tune for the SCT BDX. I imagine the ford official performance tune will also not have the issue (guessing) and from reading it sounds like the FPP tune and the SCT canned tune have similar power gains. So my guess is that something with how the 2021 TC is calibrated is causing it to not play nice with more than just a mild power increase from a tune. It sucks but it is what it is I guess. Perhaps it may be possible for a tuner to solve the issue if they get some logs or something, who knows. In any case, turning TC OFF on the highway to prevent the TC light issue is frankly a terrible idea! Probably fine on a controlled track to do some safe 0-60's but definitely not during normal driving. Especially for me out here in the Puget Sound area where it's always rainy and the traction control is super helpful on hills and stuff around town.
To be honest I'm not sure you can fully disable the AdvanceTrac system all the way with the button anyway. I'll experiment with different levels of TC disability and see if I can correct the passing issue. It's already saved my butt once in the winter so I don't think I'll drive with it off consistently. Will report back when I can.

OP
OP

CJBax

First Name
Cruiser
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Software Development
Update,

I have reached out to Unleashed and they said Torrie is looking into the TC light issue for me and I the meantime asked me if the issue happens in the tow tune. I didn't have time to test the two tune today but should tomorrow so I'll let them know my finding with the tow tune.

I also reached out to 5star about the issue since it also happens on their performance tune on my truck. Haven't heard back from them yet.

OP
OP

CJBax

First Name
Cruiser
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Software Development
Update,

First, anyone want me to move this 2021 ranger tuning and TC activation issue to a separate thread?

I tested the 87 tow tune from Unleashed and the TC issue does not happen as far as I can tell. I actually really like how the tow tune shifts. Anyway, Unleashed got back to me with a config files for data logging and asked me to log the issue for them to analyze. Going to try to get the logs tomorrow. This is great and frankly what I expect from a custom e-tuner. From my Subaru days I am used to collecting logs, sending them, getting an updated tune, repeat until the tune is the best that it can be.

Haven't heard back from 5star yet.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
I know nothing of tunes, and today started reading about it. It all seems great, but my questions are:

1. Does it effect the warranty?
2. Does it improve mileage, cause I'm not disappointed with the stock power?
3. What else does it do for me?

I will continue researching, but if anyone can respond, please do.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I know nothing of tunes, and today started reading about it. It all seems great, but my questions are:

1. Does it effect the warranty?
2. Does it improve mileage, cause I'm not disappointed with the stock power?
3. What else does it do for me?

I will continue researching, but if anyone can respond, please do.
1....The Ford Performance tune is the only tune that retains the factory warranty. I think 5 Star has a warranty you can buy but I've never look into their tune.

2....I have the Livernois tune and I did see a bump up in mpg ( about 2 mpg) after I tuned but only if you drive it normal and not get into the turbo which is hard not to do!

3....More SPG's....... Smiles Per Gallon! ?

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
System Admin
Copy. So, for the ford tune, do I need to buy anything else, or just go to the dealer and say tune it? And, I guess with ford I just get the one, no other options like 87, 93, tow?

added. And, if it improved mileage, why not do that from stock?

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
One of the big selling points is a tuner is also going to be your pedal commander product in that as one of the benefits is correction of the sluggish e-throttle controller. Imagine if you will your gas pedal acting (depression wise) like it is in SPORT mode all the time without the screwed up high RPM holds that is SPORT mode.

Now instead of having to press the gas pedal a quarter of the way down before the truck acts like it wants to do anything, you can press it with your big toe and it starts rolling.

As others indicate, you should see an increase in MPG regardless if you do 87 performance, 93 performance, or everything in between. I believe this is due to new transmission mapping as I could instantly tell once mine was installed that my truck no longer gear hunts / gets confused what gear it should be on on hills for example.

Initially my MPG increase was about 2+ and that is with 93 performance. Keep in mind performance tunes are generally going to have rougher shifts (up and down) as it goes for that instant lock verse smooth transition. I believe daily and tow tunes from most providers are going to have your smoother shifts.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Copy. So, for the ford tune, do I need to buy anything else, or just go to the dealer and say tune it? And, I guess with ford I just get the one, no other options like 87, 93, tow?

added. And, if it improved mileage, why not do that from stock?
You can get the Ford tune either from your dealer or online. I think there are a few places online that are cheaper than others but someone else will hopefully chime in who has one. The dealer has to install it for the warranty and that price I've seen all over the place but the average is around $180.

Yes with the Ford tune you only get 1 tune and have to run premium with it. The Livernois tune gives you 5 tunes and has a 87-89 tune and you can flash them yourself to try them all out.

It really should be like this from the factory but if they did that, they couldn't make more money selling you a tune. ;)

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
System Admin
You can get the Ford tune either from your dealer or online. I think there are a few places online that are cheaper than others but someone else will hopefully chime in who has one. The dealer has to install it for the warranty and that price I've seen all over the place but the average is around $180.

Yes with the Ford tune you only get 1 tune and have to run premium with it. The Livernois tune gives you 5 tunes and has a 87-89 tune and you can flash them yourself to try them all out.

It really should be like this from the factory but if they did that, they couldn't make more money selling you a tune. ;)
Thank you. If anyone has a link to the ford tune, please post. I will research myself and post if I find it.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
System Admin
OK, I'm down for this. I have that 42k points burning a hole in my browser. I was going to buy a swing case, but I can get that cheaper anyway. ;)

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
OK, I'm down for this. I have that 42k points burning a hole in my browser. I was going to buy a swing case, but I can get that cheaper anyway. ;)
You might want to see if Benny from @LevittownFordParts.com can get you a discount as they're a sponsor here.

Mcssls

They won’t discount below $620. Your 42,000 points is $210. It would cover the install but you’ll pay $825 + install.
Sponsored