2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Software Development
2021 Ranger XLT FX4. SCT BDX with 5star tunes for:
87 daily
87 Perf
91 Perf
93 Perf

I tried the 91 Performance tune first, using 92 pump gas. Shifting is SUPER harsh, like ridiculously... a few times I thought I has hit something the shift was so harsh! Then there is the mpg... stock tune driving normally with occasional highway passing and light spirited driving gives me about 20-22 mpg. The 5star tunes have yet to get me over 17 mpg, with the 91 tune averaging around 15.8 mpg, all with the same driving habits as stock and on the same routs for the se amount of time. The most concerning issue though, was the odd traction control light flashing when I don't think it should. I fully get it flashing when the tires break loos while accelerating quickly on wet road or just hiting wot from a stop, but what I thing is concerning is when entering the highway or other similar situations, the light flashes while wot from about 58mph to 70mph. Always within that range and in different locations, dry road. I seriously doubt the tires are breaking loose at those speeds! Anyway, my real question, after reading about others having issues with 5star tunes, is; what other tuners will write custome ranger tunes for the SCT BDX? I am not apposed to selling the SCT and buying something else if it means better custom tuner options.

Last note: I noticed that the SCT BDX now has pre-loaded tunes for the 2021 ranger after latest software update, it did not have pre-loaded tunes as an option when I first got it. I tried the 91 SCT tune and it was pretty decent. Smooth shifting, noticeable increase in power, mpg similar to stock when driven the same. As a last resort if a custom tuner other than 5syar is unavailable for the SCT, I may give the SCT tune a go. Anyone out there using the SCT pre-loaded tune on a 2021 ranger? Or any other year ranger if not 2021. If so, what do you think of the SCT tune? It's nowhere near the power increase of custom tune but it is a pleasantly noticeable increase.

Regards.
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
87 daily
87 Perf
91 Perf
93 Perf

I tried the 91 Performance tune first, using 92 pump gas. Shifting is SUPER harsh, like ridiculously... a few times I thought I has hit something the shift was so harsh! Then there is the mpg... stock tune driving normally with occasional highway passing and light spirited driving gives me about 20-22 mpg. The 5star tunes have yet to get me over 17 mpg, with the 91 tune averaging around 15.8 mpg, all with the same driving habits as stock and on the same routs for the se amount of time. The most concerning issue though, was the odd traction control light flashing when I don't think it should. I fully get it flashing when the tires break loos while accelerating quickly on wet road or just hiting wot from a stop, but what I thing is concerning is when entering the highway or other similar situations, the light flashes while wot from about 58mph to 70mph. Always within that range and in different locations, dry road. I seriously doubt the tires are breaking loose at those speeds! Anyway, my real question, after reading about others having issues with 5star tunes, is; what other tuners will write custome ranger tunes for the SCT BDX? I am not apposed to selling the SCT and buying something else if it means better custom tuner options.

Last note: I noticed that the SCT BDX now has pre-loaded tunes for the 2021 ranger after latest software update, it did not have pre-loaded tunes as an option when I first got it. I tried the 91 SCT tune and it was pretty decent. Smooth shifting, noticeable increase in power, mpg similar to stock when driven the same. As a last resort if a custom tuner other than 5syar is unavailable for the SCT, I may give the SCT tune a go. Anyone out there using the SCT pre-loaded tune on a 2021 ranger? Or any other year ranger if not 2021. If so, what do you think of the SCT tune? It's nowhere near the power increase of custom tune but it is a pleasantly noticeable increase.

Regards.
I don't know much about 5Star but I know Unleashed will do custom tunes but not sure what tuner they use. With Livernois you get 5 tunes to try but they're not custom for your needs. Myself along with many others have been happy with these two so you might want to consider starting over if you're not happy with yours now.

Reactions: Doc

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
On second thought I guess I could just get some dampers to solve my issues. Or would an engine cover solve more potential issues?
This right here is why I love this site! See Al @Texasota even the new guys are already dampered. ? There's really no stopping this now unless they delete the whole forum and everyones account and start over.

I've Created A Monster.jpg

Last edited:

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
This right here is why I love this site! See Al @Texasota even the new guys are already dampered. ? There's really no stopping this now unless they delete the whole forum and everyones account and start over.

I've Created A Monster.jpg
Yeah, next thing you know, just like in the movies
1622525441072.png
:crackup:

OP
OP

CJBax

First Name
Cruiser
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Software Development
I will admit that I was intrigued by the Livernois tune even before I created an account, from reading all the threads about it. So maybe I came here just for self confirmation or to finish convincing myself I just need to get rid of the SCT and go Livernois. In any case, if anyone running the preloaded SCT tunes have input I'd still like to hear your thoughts.

Regardless, even with the stock tune this thing is really fun to drive for a truck. My last truck was an 08 Ranger 4.0l Sport 4x4 supercab. I loved that truck but this new ranger is some whole other level! I had it dynoed on a Dynojet less than a week after I got it, yeah I know I didn't let it break in first... according to the two dyno runs it put down 259hp and 287tq to the wheels on 92 gas. That is impressive! Accounting for a little drive train loss that puts crank hp right up close to 300hp. Not too shabby compared to the 207bhp on my 08 ranger lol. This thing is no sports car but it is quite quick. According to a likely inaccurate android app, this truck with the horrid 5 star tune is faster to 60 than my tuned 2018 Forester XT.

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like a simple re-flash may be in order.

I run a 5-Star 93 performance tune exclusively and it actually increased my MPG even with the hunks of metal I tote on my truck. The downshifting in lower gears is not the smoothest, but that is because it is mapped more for response than driver comfort is my assumption. However your shifting description is not what I would describe in my truck - sounds like something completely different is happening.

With any flashing the tranny has to re-learn, but not sure if that would solve your problem. Did you just install the tune? I don't have the traction light issue you describe, mine works as intended when I stomp it in low gear. Never had it come on during highway travel.

Email them. Aaron has always been quick to to respond to my emails same day or within 24 hours.

Jake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
87 daily
87 Perf
91 Perf
93 Perf

Regards.
How long did you leave the tune loaded? When I first loaded my 87 tune from 5 star the truck behaved similar to what you describe less the T/C light. After driving about 120 miles the shifts were smoothed consideribly, close to stock. Also I got about the same fuel mileage as stock.

jmurph

First Name
jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Ranger
Occupation
Gov
You could just try using forscan to reset the transmission learning and re flash the tune.

MikeyTX

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Lariat Supercrew; '21 MX-5 Miata
Occupation
Retired Military/Law enforcement
Another vote for Livernois. Used them on my ST Explorers w/o issue. Their E85 tune is a hoot.

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
I will admit that I was intrigued by the Livernois tune even before I created an account, from reading all the threads about it. So maybe I came here just for self confirmation or to finish convincing myself I just need to get rid of the SCT and go Livernois. In any case, if anyone running the preloaded SCT tunes have input I'd still like to hear your thoughts.

Regardless, even with the stock tune this thing is really fun to drive for a truck. My last truck was an 08 Ranger 4.0l Sport 4x4 supercab. I loved that truck but this new ranger is some whole other level! I had it dynoed on a Dynojet less than a week after I got it, yeah I know I didn't let it break in first... according to the two dyno runs it put down 259hp and 287tq to the wheels on 92 gas. That is impressive! Accounting for a little drive train loss that puts crank hp right up close to 300hp. Not too shabby compared to the 207bhp on my 08 ranger lol. This thing is no sports car but it is quite quick. According to a likely inaccurate android app, this truck with the horrid 5 star tune is faster to 60 than my tuned 2018 Forester XT.
FYI. My 2021 is running the Livernois 91-93 Performance Soft shift tune and has the same problem with the traction control light. My questions for you are 1) what size tires are you running and 2) did you adjust the revs/mile using the tuner?

My theory is that my actual revs/mile are off by a larger amount after adjusting them than before, which is freaking out the traction control system when I accelerate at higher speeds.

Reactions: Doc

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
FYI. My 2021 is running the Livernois 91-93 Performance Soft shift tune and has the same problem with the traction control light. My questions for you are 1) what size tires are you running and 2) did you adjust the revs/mile using the tuner?

My theory is that my actual revs/mile are off by a larger amount after adjusting them than before, which is freaking out the traction control system when I accelerate at higher speeds.
IIRC the stock tire size should be set at 660 for 265/65/17. When I went up to 265/70/17 I adjusted mine to 638 and it's really close now to the mph and doesn't freak out the TC even at 110.

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
IIRC the stock tire size should be set at 660 for 265/65/17. When I went up to 265/70/17 I adjusted mine to 638 and it's really close now to the mph and doesn't freak out the TC even at 110.
I'm off by 3-4 MPH at highway speeds so I need to try a different setting for sure. Thanks for posting your #'s.

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
Just get an Unleashed Tune and be done with it....I've tried too many to keep track of and you will be hard pressed to find a better and "smoother" tune than Unleashed. IMO.
Sponsored