First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
I thought the same thing, no, I called Ford, anything past 36k miles, if they think the failure is due to the tune they can deny the repair.

The guy said "our tune is not very aggressive like some of the other ones out there"
My Lifetime powertrain warranty is not with Ford. And they clearly allow it when it's a Ford accessory and installed by Ford. But, it's one of those deals where I have to keep all other maintenance done on time or they would void it for that alone, but I'm guessing most warranties state that as well.
Sponsored

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 75 crewcab F350, 65 Mustang
Occupation
Retired from Honda Racing.
It was funny, not really, when I asked him about Ford being able to deny a claim past 36k because of the Ford tune, his first response was "I don't know, let me ask" then he came back and said "it's complicated", he started with "it is a aftermarket product, even though it's from Ford it is still a aftermarket product and subject to claim denial if it caused the failure" so it is not complicated in my opinion, it is a bit of a gray area, and borderline BS actually.
I sure would like to know if they have denied many/any claims on their own tune!!

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
I have been on Ecoboost forums for 9 years and have never heard of anyone having a warranty claim denied during the 5/60 powertrain warranty with the FP tune.

It probably has happened but I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they had done some other mod that was not compatible with the FP tune. Over on the Ecoboost Mustang forum people are always doing things that make no sense. One guy took the upstream O2 sensor out so he could install an exhaust temperature sensor in there with a 3" gauge mounted on his A-pillar. Couldn't understand why he had a check engine light and the car ran like shit, plus he wouldn't listen to any one that told him that is the O2 sensor the ECU uses to control the engine.
Sponsored

Last edited: