First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I was averaging about 1.5 mpg better with the 91-93 Livernois performance tune. That all went to hell after laying into, it's almost impossible not to.

If you stay easy on it like Chris said you can achieve better mileage. But then why tune it? I don't put on a lot of miles so 1-2 mpg better won't affect my wallet. The added power will give me more SPG (smiles per gallon). ?
Sponsored

Peter949

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
I was averaging about 1.5 mpg better with the 91-93 Livernois performance tune. That all went to hell after laying into, it's almost impossible not to.

If you stay easy on it like Chris said you can achieve better mileage. But then why tune it? I don't put on a lot of miles so 1-2 mpg better won't affect my wallet. The added power will give me more SPG (smiles per gallon). ?
Yup, worried about the mpg with the Livernois tune but in the end the spg easily made up for it but for what it's worth my mpg is slowly creeping up with a even more spirited driving then prior to the tune.

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase

Yeah, I'm finding the same - I switched to 91 a week before the tune got entered and mileage is definitely picked up - the lighter the foot the better, but seems the VW GTI crowd is always wanting to control traffic (in, out, all about, move to the front and slooooow down), Unfortunately, there seems to be a light with two lanes and I sometimes get to have one.

I love that Livernois tune!!o_O

DHMag

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew cab, 22 Wrangler Willys
Ummm..... Perhaps you haven't had a good chance to mess with a ranger before and after tuning. With me keeping a lighting foot I was able to gain an average of 2 MPG and that was going to and from work and that included a 2-3 mile 7% grade I had to go up going home.
Using a light foot will net mpg gain without a tune. Until i see hard numbers from pre tune and after tune, I stand by my statement.

The reason for my statement, I owned a 15 Colorado. I loaded a tune from Trifecta, showed improvement of 2mpg but I still net the same miles per tank.

SPEEDBUILT

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Strength Coach
Using a light foot will net mpg gain without a tune. Until i see hard numbers from pre tune and after tune, I stand by my statement.

The reason for my statement, I owned a 15 Colorado. I loaded a tune from Trifecta, showed improvement of 2mpg but I still net the same miles per tank.
Turbo Colorado? If it wasn’t the diesel than no way are you picking up mpgs with a tuned Colorado.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Yup, worried about the mpg with the Livernois tune but in the end the spg easily made up for it but for what it's worth my mpg is slowly creeping up with a even more spirited driving then prior to the tune.
You get the best of both worlds. A little better mpg's with a light foot and more power when you need it.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician

With a Colorado you wont see a gain because it is a natural aspirated engine. With the EcoBoost you can get the gains. With my truck I have hard numbers. Stock(nothing done what so ever) I was averaging 22 MPG going to and from work. I added my lift kit by ARB. With that I as down to 21.5 MPG and that includes 32 inch tires. I install the Livernois Tune(first the High octane performance then the tow tune). After that I was between 23.5-24 MPG. If that isnt good enough for you then IDK what to tell you.

OP
OP
RoadBoss

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
95 Isuzu trooper, AE86 corolla, 19 ranger XL
Occupation
video/film, small business owner
Turbo Colorado? If it wasn’t the diesel than no way are you picking up mpgs with a tuned Colorado.
yeah, a tune on a diesel, or a turbo direct injection gas engine is significantly different than a 'tune' on an NA gasser.

Bacon0961

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
LEO
Kind of off topic but not really. I have found a couple of the tuners sold at a lower price. Could I buy a tuner from a different supplier or even used and buy a tune separate from unleashed or one of the other companies??

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Kind of off topic but not really. I have found a couple of the tuners sold at a lower price. Could I buy a tuner from a different supplier or even used and buy a tune separate from unleashed or one of the other companies??
If it from one of the suppliers then you should be fine. The supplier will give you instructions on how to get your tunes.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
First tank results are in. Went from 21.6 to 22.8 after the tune. We’ll see how it goes. Happy so far. Ford tune.

Last edited:

RAYJAY

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger pickup 2019 subaru
I think this all depends on driving style and how heavy your right foot in...tune or no tune. I'm tuned by Gearhead Tuning and just this week I drove about 120 miles on the highway, cruise set at 70mph and was getting 27mpg. I don't have a heavy foot but I like the extra power when I want it!
how is the gearhead tune ? looking to use them for my tuner.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
how is the gearhead tune ? looking to use them for my tuner.
I recall seeing in another thread(can't remember wich one) that it isnt that good for daily driving. Reasons are unknown as I only have Livernois.

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
Unleashed Preformance Tune, greatly improved the smoothness but mileage dropped, was consistently getting 20-22mpg now mostly 19-20. 90% city driving. Stock truck with leveling Eibach suspension kit, ARe air filter and improved duct work.

RAYJAY

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger pickup 2019 subaru
I recall seeing in another thread(can't remember wich one) that it isnt that good for daily driving. Reasons are unknown as I only have Livernois.

coming from a SHO car, will not use livernois at all they screwed over way to many people on that platform
Sponsored