Bad mpg after tune and bolt on

Ljhardrock

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 2.3l, AFe 3in Turbo back Exhaust, AFe Intercooler pipe, Turbosmart BOV, 5star Tuning 91perf, Mishimoto cold air Intake, Big Mouth air ram, Mountune intercooler,
Occupation
A/C Tech
Anyone else getting this bad of gas mileage

20191110_094251.jpg

20191110_094259.jpg
Sponsored

Roofhopper

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
HVAC Service Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I’d definitely flash back to factory tune, I got better MPG than that in my Silverado pushing 450+WHP Which tune and what bolt ons did you install?

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
Something is definitely not right there. Do you come up with the same number calculating your mileage yourself?

OP
OP
Ljhardrock

Ljhardrock

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 2.3l, AFe 3in Turbo back Exhaust, AFe Intercooler pipe, Turbosmart BOV, 5star Tuning 91perf, Mishimoto cold air Intake, Big Mouth air ram, Mountune intercooler,
Occupation
A/C Tech
Yes I did and it's only in town driving cause when I'm on the freeway I get 27.6 mpg

Michael Bailey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4, 2017 Escape SE 2.0 4x4, 1974 Norton Commando 850, 1967 Norton P11 750
Occupation
Trout Fisher, Layabout, US Army SGM (Ret)
Vehicle Showcase
There is obviously something dreadfully wrong here, but using the Ford software to compute this might be a mistake.

Is that Ford software reading accurately for you guys? I do not rely on it at all. My mpg reading on the dash is off, usually by -1 to -3 mpg. The dash says that I am getting 25-27, while actual from a calculator is 22-24 after topping off.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
That's better than a class 8 semi towing 80 thousand pounds...but barely...

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
There is obviously something dreadfully wrong here, but using the Ford software to compute this might be a mistake.

Is that Ford software reading accurately for you guys? I do not rely on it at all. My mpg reading on the dash is off, usually by -1 to -3 mpg. The dash says that I am getting 25-27, while actual from a calculator is 22-24 after topping off.
You can adjust the truck computer MPG calculation by following the instructions in this thread - no FORScan neeeded:

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/fuel-calculator-adjustment.2996/

Mine is now within about .3 MPG of calculated values - some are dead on, some a bit farther off, but averaged out they are REALLY close now.

Psykostevo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone else getting this bad of gas mileage

20191110_094251.jpg

20191110_094259.jpg
Based on the trip computer it took you an hour to go 11 miles. So you used about 2 gallons in an hour of use? Was this just a ton of idling or something? Or stop and go traffic?

Noseoil

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger / 2013 Honda Civic / Red Rocket mini bike (zoom!)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is very low now (10.3 with the factory/stock tune), but we're having some very cold temps outside & I'm using the remote start & longer idle times before getting in and driving. I expect this will change on longer highway trips, but in town now & winter, there's a lot of time spent warming the engine prior to leaving the driveway.

This morning it was 20f outside with winds blowing 25-40 mph when I woke up, so I'm going to have to warm the truck for about 10 minutes before driving at all. This is a killer for mpg, but I'm not driving a turbo motor when it's that cold internally, just sayin'...

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
...This is a killer for mpg, but I'm not driving a turbo motor when it's that cold internally, just sayin'...
Is there some sort of damage related to driving a turbo charged engine, when the engine is cold? This is our 1st turbo motor.... so I'm curious.

Thanks

Noseoil

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger / 2013 Honda Civic / Red Rocket mini bike (zoom!)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Just don't want to run under boost when it's this cold outside. No different than a regular motor, but 20f is a bit cold to start running & driving. I'm sure it can't be good for the pistons to run at very low temps, since they run at hot temperatures normally & I would rather have oil pressure with the engine warmed up to operating temps, but that's just me... Engines are designed to run at a given temperature, which is basically hot.

Psykostevo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Is there some sort of damage related to driving a turbo charged engine, when the engine is cold? This is our 1st turbo motor.... so I'm curious.

Thanks
You want your engine to be up to operating temperature before applying boost to the engine. The warm oil and coolant will help the metallic seals in the turbo as well as the piston rings to expand and properly seal as they are supposed to. If you allow for too much boost before the parts are warmed up you can squeeze oil out of the turbocharger and into your intake ducts, and you can allow boost pressure to pressurize your crankcase oil too.

It doesn't take but a couple minutes for the engine to warm up. You can drive it mildly until then without getting gungho with the boost.
Sponsored