5-Star vs Livernois Motorsports vs Unleashed Tuning

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I love the raw power, but I also want to make sure the truck lasts and not have to worry about a bad tank of gas or something because things are tuned to the edge. I honestly think there is probably very little difference between the tunes on an average day. You can get some nice numbers with the right conditions, but will it make that all the time? 5 Star has been great to me and I will continue to work with them on the current tune I have to see if the quirks can be worked out, but I am also excited to try Torrie's tune. If the power is there as well as drivability, then it is a winner. 5 star's tune has been inconsistent at times with both power and drivability, and while the brutal power is nice, I need that consistency. They have been amazing to work with and responsive, but I need to try something else. Torrie has been WITH IT in getting me this tune. I contacted him yesterday at about 4pm, sent him logs, etc. at around 6pm and I got my tune by bedtime. Amazing.
Sponsored

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
Torrie has a lot of patience for sure (me) and has worked with me on my tune to address my driving style and fuel preferences(anything but 87 octane).

I like the power for sure, and view my driving style as spirited (not super aggressive - at my age) and I want a truck that is a truck when I haul stuff or a comfortable sedan for day to day.

Just installed the latest tune from him yesterday after having upgraded to the Mishimoto charge pipes, now I'll be re-training the transmission and monitoring my MPG's again. Unlike @Doc I got better gas mileage with the stock Ford tune than the last tune. It could be my right foot though my driving style is pretty consistent.

Raw power isn't always what every driver wants.
MPG today 22.6 Sport mode only.
Regards
Doc

Tillikillit

First Name
Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Fx4
Occupation
Glorified Knuckle Dragger for NASA
Just installed a 5 Star 91 daily/tow tune...
Wow. Immediate difference in low end torque, throttle response and shifting.
Still need to kill a couple of tanks to see actual gas mileage, but it will be fun doing so.
I have the 87 daily/tow and a 93 performance that I can load, but so far the 91 daily/tow has been fantastic. Hats off to 5 Star.

importfighter01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL SuperCab
Just installed a 5 Star 91 daily/tow tune...
Wow. Immediate difference in low end torque, throttle response and shifting.
Still need to kill a couple of tanks to see actual gas mileage, but it will be fun doing so.
I have the 87 daily/tow and a 93 performance that I can load, but so far the 91 daily/tow has been fantastic. Hats off to 5 Star.
I too enjoy my FP tune in tow mode. I like tow mode better than Sport even.

Reactions: Doc

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
MPG today 22.6 Sport mode only.
Regards
Doc
Took the latest version out and about today. Avg on Ford tune last tank (refilling today): 18.49 MPG manual calc, 19 on the computer.

My request to Torrie was tweak the hard shifts, there is a difference first day that doesn't jolt out of Park or neutral, I'm trying to be easy on the gas but definitely power is back on tap.

Mileage is of interest of course, and now worrying about power is fading. It's clearly there and so far driveability is the noticeable standout change.

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I loaded my Unleashed tune yesterday and I have to say that Torrie does know his Ecoboosts and it shows. The tune is extremely smooth, to the point of fooling you on just how much extra power you have. All you have to do is look at the speedo to see it is making decent power. It may be a little down on power compared to my version 7 5-Star tune, but I am not sure if it is very much, if any. They way it delivers power is very progressive which kind of fools you, but it makes it much more pleasurable to drive and with less hiccups. The shift strategy is excellent as well. I will of course send him some logs to tweak, but this is my new DD for sure. I am anxious to see what 5-Star will do with my current tune after I experienced some detonation. I think they were too aggressive on timing, or not pulling enough if there was detonation. It runs like a scalded dog when conditions are just right, but how often does that happen day to day? I will have it for perfect gas on a perfect day if for say I wanted to go to the track or something, but honestly I'd like to compare the two tunes at the track. I kind of think that the Unleashed tune will be there with it, but with much more smoothness. It will be interesting to compare.

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
I loaded my Unleashed tune yesterday and I have to say that Torrie does know his Ecoboosts and it shows. The tune is extremely smooth, to the point of fooling you on just how much extra power you have. All you have to do is look at the speedo to see it is making decent power. It may be a little down on power compared to my version 7 5-Star tune, but I am not sure if it is very much, if any. They way it delivers power is very progressive which kind of fools you, but it makes it much more pleasurable to drive and with less hiccups. The shift strategy is excellent as well. I will of course send him some logs to tweak, but this is my new DD for sure. I am anxious to see what 5-Star will do with my current tune after I experienced some detonation. I think they were too aggressive on timing, or not pulling enough if there was detonation. It runs like a scalded dog when conditions are just right, but how often does that happen day to day? I will have it for perfect gas on a perfect day if for say I wanted to go to the track or something, but honestly I'd like to compare the two tunes at the track. I kind of think that the Unleashed tune will be there with it, but with much more smoothness. It will be interesting to compare.
I have Unleashed and 5-Star (and a couple others) and in my opinion Unleashed is the smoothest out there! And yes it is a sneaky fast tune! I currently have the 5-Star installed but I think I'll be going back to Unlesahed. The day to day drivability is unmatched.....and if it is a little less HP it's difficult to tell but I do believe UL has more torque (or at least it feels that way!)

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I have Unleashed and 5-Star (and a couple others) and in my opinion Unleashed is the smoothest out there! And yes it is a sneaky fast tune! I currently have the 5-Star installed but I think I'll be going back to Unlesahed. The day to day drivability is unmatched.....and if it is a little less HP it's difficult to tell but I do believe UL has more torque (or at least it feels that way!)

I agree. It is sneaky, but in a very good way. I love it so far.

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I agree. It is sneaky, but in a very good way. I love it so far.
Just asked for throttle response more like Sport mode just about and hour ago, and I already have a new file to try. Lol. Unleashed is on it! I will have to wait and try it this weekend. I will send him some logs next week.

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I like 5-Star but the shifting 1-4 is a bit harsh!
I worked with 5-Star quite a bit on the shifting, and we got the 1-4 nailed, but it is inconsistent in the other gears. It is like we keep chasing perfection. I think the issue is that the base tune was changed maybe too much from stock as far as line pressure, etc. and not enough was done with the overall strategy so when changes need to be made you are kind of bandading...

TJMarchand

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT / 1984 Monte Carlo SS
Any MPG improvements with unleashed? I'm curious if an economy tune is a legitimate option from any of these companies.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Any MPG improvements with unleashed? I'm curious if an economy tune is a legitimate option from any of these companies.
With both performance and Tow Tunes I was able to see roughly around 2 miles a gallon increase on average with my truck. That is as long as I'm not getting it into it. I would expect the results would be similar with other Tunes

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
What Frenchy said is pretty accurate. I don't have a lead foot, I just like to have extra power when I want it, I don't tow and I always use 93 octane.....I do a mix of highway and city driving and in the summer I see about 25-27mpg and right now on the winter blend I am getting 21-22mpg.

TJMarchand

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT / 1984 Monte Carlo SS
What Frenchy said is pretty accurate. I don't have a lead foot, I just like to have extra power when I want it, I don't tow and I always use 93 octane.....I do a mix of highway and city driving and in the summer I see about 25-27mpg and right now on the winter blend I am getting 21-22mpg.
Awesome. Thank you both for responding, I feel the same as you.
Sponsored