Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

Maybe some folks will be interested in how the FX4 Brand came about. Ford Marketing came to Ranger Vehicle Engineering with a concept for a new model for Ranger. This would be a new decal to denote an advanced 4x4 Ranger. I was interested, but having been mislead so many times before, I was suspicious it was a paper tiger. Marketing made their pitch. mild tweaks that were undefined as Marketing knows little about 4x4.

We took the opportunity to really put teeth into the FX4. I proposed a 4x4 that would out perform current offerings. Marketing was not receptive. So adressing the Chief Program Engineer, I told him to give me 4 weeks to build a one off prototype. he agreed.

I cut a Ranger 4x4 from the heard, and headed to Livernoise Engineering, who had a contract with Ford for garage services. We had Livernoise install Torsen differentials front and rear. Then I had my vehicle dynamics engineer, Doug S. tune the suspension. Doug was part of my off-road racing team, and had learned how to develop a potent suspension.

Doug and I took this vehicle out to the Romeo Proving Grounds to the 4x4 course. The Ranger performance was amazing.

Back in Dearborn, I handed the keys to the Chief Program Engineer for an overnight drive. I couldn't sleep that night, but the next day, he told me this truck drove better than his Lincoln.

Top brass in Truck wanted to drive our creation, and we received accolades.

Thus, the FX4 Brand was created and to this day some 20 years, means more than just a decal on the pickup box.

When I look at the FX4 on my 2019 Ranger, I am proud that it still means it is a cut above.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co Retired
Sponsored

Last edited:

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Why don't we have Torsen diffs front and rear and forget the lockers? I swear by my Torsen diff on my track Mini Cooper.

mURmECH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor, 2019 Ranger
Thanks Phil, that’s a great read on our Rangers. Ford should have gave you a free Ranger.

BDoc

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 SCrew
Occupation
US Air Force, retired; now Civil Service (USAF)
Vehicle Showcase
That's some great background info. When my truck arrives and I look at that decal on the back, I'll think about this post. Thanks, Phil!

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Love these posts, Phil! It is really interesting to hear some of the inside back story on our Rangers.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
My '03 was open in the front. The '19 has pretty good electronics, so it makes up for it.

OP
OP
P. A. Schilke

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
My '03 was open in the front. The '19 has pretty good electronics, so it makes up for it.
Yep,
Bean counters drove front Torsen out of the Ranger.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co Retired

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2024 Escape ST-Line
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
Yep,
Bean counters drove front Torsen out of the Ranger.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co Retired
This is some great info on the history behind FX4. Thanks, Phil.

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
Great info, thanks! I used to own a 2007 Ranger FX4 Level II. It’s my favourite truck I’ve ever owned, but that could change whenever I get a ‘19 or ‘20!

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
I have my very 1st FX4 package on my Lariat and I absolutely love it, can't wait to play with it! Thank you!!

Hi Folks,

Maybe some folks will be interested in how the FX4 Brand came about. Ford Marketing came to Ranger Vehicle Engineering with a concept for a new model for Ranger. This would be a new decal to denote an advanced 4x4 Ranger. I was interested, but having been mislead so many times before, I was suspicious it was a paper tiger. Marketing made their pitch. mild tweaks that were undefined as Marketing knows little about 4x4.

We took the opportunity to really put teeth into the FX4. I proposed a 4x4 that would out perform current offerings. Marketing was not receptive. So adressing the Chief Program Engineer, I told him to give me 4 weeks to build a one off prototype. he agreed.

I cut a Ranger 4x4 from the heard, and headed to Livernoise Engineering, who had a contract with Ford for garage services. We had Livernoise install Torsen differentials front and rear. Then I had my vehicle dynamics engineer, Doug S. tune the suspension. Doug was part of my off-road racing team, and had learned how to develop a potent suspension.

Doug and I took this vehicle out to the Romeo Proving Grounds to the 4x4 course. The Ranger performance was amazing.

Back in Dearborn, I handed the keys to the Chief Program Engineer for an overnight drive. I couldn't sleep that night, but the next day, he told me this truck drove better than his Lincoln.

Thus, the FX4 Brand was created and to this day some 20 years, means more than just a decal on the pickup box.

When I look at the FX4 on my 2019 Ranger, I am proud that it still means it is a cut above.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co Retired

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
Hi Folks,

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co Retired
The "FX4" decal on your 2019 should read "FX4 by Phil"...

DeadSkiHead

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4
There was a rumor a few years ago that the Ranger (and Bronco) would possibly have solid front axles with locking diffs. I wonder if this was ever talked about extensively at Ford, or just industry gossip. Anyway, thanks for the post, Phil.

Mach-1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
FX4 was MANDATORY for my Ranger!! I wasn't getting one without it. The sticker looks so cool too! I don't understand people that buy the package, then pull the sticker off because they don't like it. Thanks for the story, cool stuff!!
Sponsored