First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger / 2018 Honda Civic EX 5 door
Occupation
Process Professional
I agree. None of them have a premium product. It is the only vehicle segment that is like that. I'm now waiting for the next gen Ranger & Canyon/Colorado, to see if they have a better option. If neither step up, then I'll guess I'll be going in a different direction.
And I don't know about the joke being on them. I feel like all the manufacturers are laughing at the mid-size buyers. For what I paid for my Lariat, I could option a F150 XLT and have better options, with better finishes.

I thought that GMC had the Canyon Denali?
It does look nice inside...but strangely enough it still doesn't have dual zone climate...only digital temp control.

My biggest issue is that we don't have rear passenger vents...even though we have a full center flow through console. THAT is BS.

D
Sponsored

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I agree. None of them have a premium product. It is the only vehicle segment that is like that. I'm now waiting for the next gen Ranger & Canyon/Colorado, to see if they have a better option. If neither step up, then I'll guess I'll be going in a different direction.
And I don't know about the joke being on them. I feel like all the manufacturers are laughing at the mid-size buyers. For what I paid for my Lariat, I could option a F150 XLT and have better options, with better finishes.
Canyon Denali is the closest thing I can think of to “premium” it might even have cooled seats.

PalmettoRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 4x4 Magnetic Ranger XLT SuperCrew with STX package
I have a feb 2020 production model XLT Sport 301A. It was recently in the shop due to being hit on the Ford dealer parking lot (they owned up to wrecking the bumper, But I digress). They gave me a nov 2020 302A 4x4 as a loaner. It had the same lack of door/sound Insulation, however, I swear it drove better than mine. Meaning, the loaner drove like a car (soft, cornering and easy acceleration, tight ride) where as my truck definitely drives like what I expect a truck to drive as (cushy braking, hard cornering, takes bumps better). Only thing I can think of is that my sport model has some dealer installed or other upgrades because it is “sport” model. Who knows.
I will always try to get a vehicle near the end of a production cycle. Not only does that tend to overlap with the end of the calendar year, when the best deals can be had, it also gives the engineers time to identify and work out the bugs. My 2019 XLT was made during what I believe was the last week of production in November and I have not had any issues with it. As a small bit of evidence in support of that strategy, there were several recalls for the 2019 trucks, but I do not believe any of them apply to those built after August. Similarly, there have been two recalls on the 2020 model, but they do not cover production after June 2020. I did only get 4 tie downs though...

Last edited:

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
I'm feeling better about my 2019 Lariat now. Only 20K miles, all the pre-delete goodies and zero interest loan from Ford.

I 'deleted' the Ecoboost badge myself though. The bit of chrome was visually unbalanced to me.

I was at the dealership getting the roof trim replaced (corrosion issue) and was ogling the only Lariat they had - a 4X4 Sport with a $47K price tag.

Yep... feeling real good about mine.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
For what I paid for my Lariat, I could option a F150 XLT and have better options, with better finishes.
I bought my Lariat in Dec.

I've done this excercise before. But for your sake I just did it again. To match MSRP dollar for dollar with my loaded SCrew FX-4 you get NOTHING.

I just built an F-150 SCrew on Ford's site. XL, 2.7l, 4x4 with zero options.

Even with incentives you're kidding yourself if you believe that.

TBR17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger Tremor, '13 Vette Z16, '62 VW Beetle
Yes removed the eco post badge. 2019 and 2020 both have 4 ties downs.
4 tie downs in my '20 manufactured in Nov '19. There are 4 at the bed corners which is plenty in a 6' bed for me. Where they eliminated the other 2 happens to be right where you can wedge a 2x6 as a cargo divider to keep cargo at the back of the bed.
1616159824512.png

Stevie Gee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Rancho Santa Margarita (Orange County),CA
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
Retired Fed - H.U.D. (Housing and Urban Development)
Vehicle Showcase
I can understand that everyone tries to cut corners, but cutting corners as your slowly progress through the model years is ridiculous. Ford is pretty much is shooting themselves in the foot. Why would I trade up to a newer truck at this point?
I agree. Exactly...most manufacturers ADD content as the model years progress

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I will always try to get a vehicle near the end of a production cycle. Not only does that tend to overlap with the end of the calendar year, when the best deals can be had, it also gives the engineers to identify and work out the bugs. My 2019 XLT was made during what I believe was the last week of production in November and I have not had any issues with it. As a small bit of anecdotal evidence for that, there were several recalls for the 2019 trucks, but I do not believe any of them apply to those built after August. Similarly, there have been two recalls on the 2020 model, but they do not cover production after June 2020. I did only get 4 tie downs though...
I do agree with not getting a first year run or at least waiting until the end run but the Ranger was still made ROW. The engine & tranny were already in several other vehicles so they're not a new redesign. I think some who had issues early on were isolated ones and I remember there were a bad batch of injectors (isolated incident) which could've been in any vehicle. Mine was made on 6/12/19 and Iv'e had ZERO issues and have all the bed ties and everything else.

With that said I'm getting my Bronco in '22 because this is a totally new design and I'm not wanting to be the test dummy in year one. Been there, done that, have the t shirt and don't want another. ?

TBR17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I do agree with not getting a first year run or at least waiting until the end run but the Ranger was still made ROW. The engine & tranny were already in several other vehicles so they're not a new redesign. I think some who had issues early on were isolated ones and I remember there were a bad batch of injectors (isolated incident) which could've been in any vehicle. Mine was made on 6/12/19 and Iv'e had ZERO issues and have all the bed ties and everything else.

With that said I'm getting my Bronco in '22 because this is a totally new design and I'm not wanting to be the test dummy in year one. Been there, done that, have the t shirt and don't want another. ?
How do you feel about the first year of the Ranger Raptor G6 IF we see it here? Assuming the powertrain is a carryover (2.7L + 10 Speed).

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
How do you feel about the first year of the Ranger Raptor G6 IF we see it here? Assuming the powertrain is a carryover (2.7L + 10 Speed).
Me I would still wait at least until mid year just in case there are a few things that need tweaking. I've just been burned by first year runs before so I'm a little more cautious. I know this doesn't guarantee it'll be perfect but it will at least have been out on the road to find out if there are any issues. One good thing with the Broncos with all the delays they've had it's given Ford more time for testing. Some of the ones I've seen have been driven hard (which is good) and put away wet. Granted the average buyer won't drive them like this but its nice to see they're testing them hard.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
4 tie downs in my '20 manufactured in Nov '19. There are 4 at the bed corners which is plenty in a 6' bed for me. Where they eliminated the other 2 happens to be right where you can wedge a 2x6 as a cargo divider to keep cargo at the back of the bed.
1616159824512.png
Most of us slide the board into the slot partially covered at the 11 o'clock spot on your circle. As someone lucky enough to get all 6 tie downs, I can tell you that I use the middle ones more than the other four. YMMV.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If I was getting an f150 I'd be looking at the Platinum trim level, not XLT. Just checked B&P, it would be about $30k more than I paid for my ranger configured the way I want it. But I don't want something that big. I guess I could be the only buyer in the US who wants more in a smaller package, but I suspect not.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 3/15/19 built Ranger and couldnt be happier with it. Zero problems 15, 000 miles. A number of these complaints are subjective or anecdotal. :yawn:

TBR17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If I was getting an f150 I'd be looking at the Platinum trim level, not XLT. Just checked B&P, it would be about $30k more than I paid for my ranger configured the way I want it. But I don't want something that big. I guess I could be the only buyer in the US who wants more in a smaller package, but I suspect not.
You are correct. 11:00 is exactly where the 2x goes. The other dimple is to use the tie down that isn't there.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I thought that GMC had the Canyon Denali?
The denali is an "I want over the top fugly plastichrome and trying-too-hard afterthought woodgrain" trim package, it doesn't really get much in the way of features and functionality. I think the only thing is ventilated seats. I don't want seat cooling enough to take that really hideous GMC denali design language. (Beauty being in the eye of the beholder, I want that look far from my eyes.) And if you compare the feature list to a Sierra denali it's just embarassing that they used the same name for the trim level.
Sponsored