Do you like auto start-stop?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bayouranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
So, i don't mind this feature in principle but there are some huge issues. One annoyance is you can't disable it or set to opt-in vs the default on and opt-out that it is. But the real glaring issue I have with it is when it's on and say you come home. You apply your brake fully and it shuts the engine off. Okay fine, but the second you shift into park it turns the engine back on only to have you turn the ignition, and the engine, off. Why Ford? Why not have at least a 30 - 60 s delay so as to avoid this 1 second crank and shut off?

What's everyone else's experience?
Sponsored

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
So, i don't mind this feature in principle but there are some huge issues. One annoyance is you can't disable it or set to opt-in vs the default on and opt-out that it is. But the real glaring issue I have with it is when it's on and say you come home. You apply your brake fully and it shuts the engine off. Okay fine, but the second you shift into park it turns the engine back on only to have you turn the ignition, and the engine, off. Why Ford? Why not have at least a 30 - 60 s delay so as to avoid this 1 second crank and shut off?

I turn it off, then move to park.

Deleted member 1634

I don't know if I would call it a glaring issue, but I do agree with your assessment on the parking issue. It is annoying at times. Not sure it should necessarily have a 30-60sec delay, that seems long. I hardly ever sit at a light much longer than 60secs most times, so it would never really come into play in that case. But maybe a couple seconds would be nice. And it's strange because it does seem like it waits a couple seconds when I pull up to a light, but not when I'm pulling in to park. Maybe that's just my perception though.

Either way, I've learned to just adapt and not hesitate when parking so this never really happens to me anymore. I just pull in and put it in park right away when I come to a complete stop, so it doesn't have time to react. And now that's just the new normal where I don't even think about it anymore.

All-in-all I would very much rather have the feature as is, than not have it all. It seems like I'm in the minority on here by saying that, but just my feeling.

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
I don't know if I would call it a glaring issue, but I do agree with your assessment on the parking issue. It is annoying at times. Not sure it should necessarily have a 30-60sec delay, that seems long. I hardly ever sit at a light much longer than 60secs most times, so it would never really come into play in that case. But maybe a couple seconds would be nice. And it's strange because it does seem like it waits a couple seconds when I pull up to a light, but not when I'm pulling in to park. Maybe that's just my perception though.

Either way, I've learned to just adapt and not hesitate when parking so this never really happens to me anymore. I just pull in and put it in park right away when I come to a complete stop, so it doesn't have time to react. And now that's just the new normal where I don't even think about it anymore.

All-in-all I would very much rather have the feature as is, than not have it all. It seems like I'm in the minority on here by saying that, but just my feeling.
I agree 100%. Like you, it'd be nice if it waited let's saaaay...5 seconds so stopping at a stop sign wouldn't turn it off.

It certainly takes time to get used to it but I have and I like it.

I wouldn't say your the minority...if you are, I am as well.

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
I like having it. I've never had it turn off before putting into park but I've had it shut off before putting it into reverse before backing in the driveway.

Deleted member 1634

I agree 100%. Like you, it'd be nice if it waited let's saaaay...5 seconds so stopping at a stop sign wouldn't turn it off.

It certainly takes time to get used to it but I have and I like it.

I wouldn't say your the minority...if you are, I am as well.
Maybe we aren't as sparse as I thought. Good to hear!

Polar Bear

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX2 SuperCrew Rapid Red
Occupation
Medical
Vehicle Showcase
Mine no longer exists. I absolutely HATE that feature! So I voted No! :LOL::crackup:

samsd

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4 HPR, 2016 Town and Country, 2004 Road King Custom
Occupation
Retired
I have always hated idleing the engine, why not have it shut off? Appears there is an extra battery under the hood so that takes care of starting, just my guess, I get more annoyed when it doesn't shut off.

Voltune

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2019 XLT 4x4 Supercab (302A)
I am a new Ranger owner (2019 XLT) and I find this feature very frustrating at stop signs, drive-thru, and pulling into the garage or parking lot.

I wish they had implemented customization options where you could set a 5 to 15 second timer before the engine shuts off. An option to turn it off until I tell it to turn back on again would also be nice. It gets tiring having to keep pushing the button every day.

Is it possible they could push through an update via the dealer if they improve this feature on newer model years?

Last edited:

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
I am a new Ranger owner (2019 XLT) and I find this feature very frustrating at stop signs, drive-thru, and pulling into the garage or parking lot. I wish they had implemented customization options where you could set a 5 to 15 second timer before the engine shuts off. An option to turn it off until I tell it to turn back on again would also be nice. It gets tiring having to keep pushing the button every day.
I believe there is a thread that talks about a device that keeps it off. Maybe someone can chime in with a link

SemperVee

First Name
Dar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 LARIAT. 2019 Ranger XLT Traded in.
Vehicle Showcase
I keep it off permanently. I start and automatically reach for the off button then the shift +to see what gears I am in then proceed as normal. That is my routine. I let it run off-on for a week and found it disconcerting as it is not smooth, especially when in creep and stop mode.

svache

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SuperCrew Saber, 2012 BMW 328i
Vehicle Showcase
I used Forscan to disable it, I did the same with my BMW though coding, although that one isn't necessary anymore since BMW updated it.

What the Ranger does is the same behavior my BMW did back in 2012, meaning always on until turned off. People started to complain and BMW issued a software update that changed it so that it would remember the last setting instead, which works way better.

I wouldn't mind it so much if Ford had it done the same way, so it would remember the last setting. Since it doesn't, I just disabled the entire thing. I don't like being told what I can and can't do lol

This one on the Ranger is actually worse than the one on my BMW. My bimmer would wait a bit before shutting off, it also recognized traffic (stop/go) better. The Ranger doesn't do any of that.