OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
Paul, It only disables the A/S/S and nothing else.
Thanks Dave,
The guy in the video was iffy about exactly what all it affected other than the A/S/S. I am assuming that it is wired exclusively to only the A/S/S module? When I messaged you about the LED light fix, I was under the impression that every Ranger was equipped with at least one AC outlet but looked before buying the light and discovered I don't have one. Didn't come with my package.
Paul
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Thanks Dave,
The guy in the video was iffy about exactly what all it affected other than the A/S/S. I am assuming that it is wired exclusively to only the A/S/S module? When I messaged you about the LED light fix, I was under the impression that every Ranger was equipped with at least one AC outlet but looked before buying the light and discovered I don't have one. Didn't come with my package.
Paul
I haven't pulled the wire because I've been just using the LED light and it's worked out good. I haven't seen anyone say that pulling it affected anything else on here or in the comments in the video. I would think it would throw a code or some warning on the dash if it were connected to anything else. IIRC the 110v outlet is added as part of the 502A package?

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
I like the automatic start stop.

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.

2020FRL

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, 2014 Harley Tri Glide
Occupation
Retired
You Too???

Kataphrakt

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT FX4 Offroad
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer - Mirrors
2. Hybrid electric seat, where some of it is manual and some electric. Why not make it all electric in Lariat?
I spoke with some guys from the seating division of my sub-group, and they spoke how one of the biggest challenges they encounter is fitting the huge motors required under the seat for 3-axis power adjustments.

I wonder if the AUS/EU vehicles had fully-powered seats, and if so, wonder if US specs require more output torque on the motors

jzinckgra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
I spoke with some guys from the seating division of my sub-group, and they spoke how one of the biggest challenges they encounter is fitting the huge motors required under the seat for 3-axis power adjustments.

I wonder if the AUS/EU vehicles had fully-powered seats, and if so, wonder if US specs require more output torque on the motors
That seems odd. My Ridgeline had them, my wife's CX5 has them, the F150 has them I think. Lots of vehicles have them. It's not like the Ranger seats are too small to fit them underneath right? You work at Ford? Thanks.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab

Australian top trim and lariat both described as "8 way power driver seat". I'd guess they didn't care about power recline in Australia and Ford just cheaped out and didn't redesign the seat for the US market.

Kataphrakt

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT FX4 Offroad
Occupation
Australian top trim and lariat both described as "8 way power driver seat". I'd guess they didn't care about power recline in Australia and Ford just cheaped out and didn't redesign the seat for the US market.
Makes sense, they'll switch the frame to fully-boxed, but wont update any of the "must-have" amenities.

That seems odd. My Ridgeline had them, my wife's CX5 has them, the F150 has them I think. Lots of vehicles have them. It's not like the Ranger seats are too small to fit them underneath right? You work at Ford? Thanks.
I dont know how much space/how easy it would be to fit the motors under the ranger's seat since i have no desire to take mine apart, but as is pointed out above, the seat was likely carried over from the AUS version, which did not have power recline. Dont work at Ford, just a Tier-1 auto supplier. Brought up the issue since thats what i had talked with some of the seating engineers about. They were interested in cutting the number of motors down to reduce packaging size even if the required extra mechanical bits to keep the same motions negated the cost.

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
Makes sense, they'll switch the frame to fully-boxed, but wont update any of the "must-have" amenities.

I dont know how much space/how easy it would be to fit the motors under the ranger's seat since i have no desire to take mine apart, but as is pointed out above, the seat was likely carried over from the AUS version, which did not have power recline. Dont work at Ford, just a Tier-1 auto supplier. Brought up the issue since thats what i had talked with some of the seating engineers about. They were interested in cutting the number of motors down to reduce packaging size even if the required extra mechanical bits to keep the same motions negated the cost.
If having power seatbacks meant losing rear seat legroom, then I'm good with the manual lever. Especially in my Super Cab.

I do wish the seat backs would tilt further forward.

jzinckgra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat

Not to nitpick too much, but the lack of power recliner apparently negated Ford putting in memory seats. On occasion my wife drives my truck and I like getting my seat positions back to the exact position they were in. Without memory, I have to make adjustments for a bit.

Kataphrakt

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT FX4 Offroad
Occupation
Not to nitpick too much, but the lack of power recliner apparently negated Ford putting in memory seats. On occasion my wife drives my truck and I like getting my seat positions back to the exact position they were in. Without memory, I have to make adjustments for a bit.
Seat memory AFAIK is similar in issue to outside-mirror memory. Most systems on US vehicles use a door module (AKA a computer in the door) to control those functions, as well as typically being relied on to manage auto-fold (i'm not sure how the architecture of this all works, that's for the EEs & CEs to play with). But for memory systems, this is a key issue as most memory systems i know of make use of what is basically a potentiometer to report the position. Decoding this position requires an Analogue>digital conversion to read the voltage that was sent and compare that to the voltage that was received. One could just run this wiring all the way back to the ECU, but voltage drops with wire length, your risks of interference increase greatly, and vehicles are typically very noisy with EMI. To get consistent results the position has to be read from nearby -- plus the buttons for this are typically on the door so you dont have to route as much length of wire. For the OEM, this makes things simple as there's little communication that has to happen. With memory there might be no communication between the door module and the ECU, while something like auto-fold might be programed in so that the door module folds the mirrors when it receives the signal to also lock the doors.

From what i know working with Mirrors sub-groups in Asia and Europe, door modules are not particularly common over there and they're having a hard time selling OEMs on switching to them. Odds are Ford either didnt bother to try to put a door module into the US ranger, or they didnt have space in the door for it.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
That's the big one for me. I can get the seat adjusted (eventually), but I really miss "instantly recover from someone else driving my truck" as a feature.

Reactions: EJH

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
It’s not a matter of technology as it’s been there for decades already. It all boils down to cost and returns. Seat skeleton costs them $280. Still has to be covered and wired. Typically 3 buttons of old were 1, 2, stop. Then additionally the power seat buttons. When it’s all said and done with today’s costs it’s a break even game.

I had a mountaineer that had 8 way, inflatable lumbar with memories and heated leather.

They could do it if they made $600 on it ?
Sponsored