Hi, annoying YouTube guy with the missing skid plate reporting in.

Daedalus9042

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Steven Vargas here, the guy with the minor issues and missing skid plate videos (I won’t link here since I’m not trying to do self promotion).

For context I posted a couple review videos and a video about how my 2019 Ranger had a missing skid plate.

Playing with YouTube analytics I realized I was getting a lot of traffic from this forum. Looked through the threads this morning and it was quite a roasting :whew:.

Appreciate the comments and they’re mostly valid. In hindsight I don’t think I emphasized enough that overall I’m pretty happy with the truck.

My curiosity also got the best of me when I realized minor changes have a big impact on viewership. Things like thumbnails, sensationalist titles, and just mentioning “please subscribe” makes a big difference. Either way thanks to comments on YouTube and here I realized that these micro optimizations were a turn off for a lot of people who were actually interested in the content.

In regards to the missing skid plate I was pretty frustrated. I had reached out to Ford directly over phone, Twitter, Facebook, email, and their website, I also reached out to the dealer, the sales guy who sold it to me, the sales manager, and service manager. After two days of doing this with no response I was irritated hence the tone of my videos. I’ve since delisted one video I thought was really over the top.

Having said that about 3 days after initial contact both Ford and the dealer reached out and they have both been awesome in taking care of the issue.

Took a few weeks to get the part but both Ford and the dealer have been active in keeping me updated.

Last Saturday I made it to the dealer and they held another Ranger on the lot for me to compare with my Ranger and even topped of my tank given the dealer is about 60 miles from my house.

I’ve struggled with verbal communication and presentations so it was a New Years goal to work on that. These YouTube videos were a means of doing that and the feedback has been welcomed and helpful.

Anyways, enjoy your trucks, I am!
Sponsored

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Steven Vargas here, the guy with the minor issues and missing skid plate videos (I won’t link here since I’m not trying to do self promotion).

For context I posted a couple review videos and a video about how my 2019 Ranger had a missing skid plate.

Playing with YouTube analytics I realized I was getting a lot of traffic from this forum. Looked through the threads this morning and it was quite a roasting :whew:.

Appreciate the comments and they’re mostly valid. In hindsight I don’t think I emphasized enough that overall I’m pretty happy with the truck.

My curiosity also got the best of me when I realized minor changes have a big impact on viewership. Things like thumbnails, sensationalist titles, and just mentioning “please subscribe” makes a big difference. Either way thanks to comments on YouTube and here I realized that these micro optimizations were a turn off for a lot of people who were actually interested in the content.

In regards to the missing skid plate I was pretty frustrated. I had reached out to Ford directly over phone, Twitter, Facebook, email, and their website, I also reached out to the dealer, the sales guy who sold it to me, the sales manager, and service manager. After two days of doing this with no response I was irritated hence the tone of my videos. I’ve since delisted one video I thought was really over the top.

Having said that about 3 days after initial contact both Ford and the dealer reached out and they have both been awesome in taking care of the issue.

Took a few weeks to get the part but both Ford and the dealer have been active in keeping me updated.

Last Saturday I made it to the dealer and they held another Ranger on the lot for me to compare with my Ranger and even topped of my tank given the dealer is about 60 miles from my house.

I’ve struggled with verbal communication and presentations so it was a New Years goal to work on that. These YouTube videos were a means of doing that and the feedback has been welcomed and helpful.

Welcome! And you aren't annoying, maybe we're just jaded and little crotchety.

And squeaky wheel gets the greasy, you don't know without making those videos Ford might have ignored your reasonable complaints.

djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Tacoma 4dr Sport Long Bed
Vehicle Showcase
I really appreciated your videos! It was quite clear you had put some real miles on the truck and had actual informed feedback vs some of the pro reviewers. Have you tried telescoping the steering wheel more to find a comfortable driving position? That helped me.

Jason L

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 302A
So a guy with a Ranger was complaining about his Ranger to a bunch of guys who have waited six months and don't have a Ranger... Off with his head I say!!!

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
I saw your video and even interacted a bit with you on Reddit. I'd be cheesed off too if parts were missing on my truck. You just happened to be one of the first owners and at a time when a lot of people are searching for and hungry for Ranger info....your stuff naturally rose to the top of the "Ranger news cycle" being 1) one of the first owners 2) one of the first with a considerable issue.

I can't say I would have done anything differently so don't be hard on yourself. Welcome aboard!

FLEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SCrew
Vehicle Showcase
Haha, I was waiting for you to turn up on here. FWIW I think most of us did actually enjoy your content as it seemed pretty thorough. I think we have all been a little on edge waiting for our own trucks. Enjoy your truck and hopefully Ford takes care of you.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase

Why would your first call be to Ford?????

That makes no sense.

Mustang2Ranger

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat-FX4,4X4,White Platinum; 06 Escape
Hello everyone, I tried searching but did not find anything. Thought I would post here since it is related.

With the FX4 package, is the skid plate on the fuel tank supposed to be plastic? Just took delivery on monday and my fuel tank skid plate is plastic

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Hello everyone, I tried searching but did not find anything. Thought I would post here since it is related.

With the FX4 package, is the skid plate on the fuel tank supposed to be plastic? Just took delivery on monday and my fuel tank skid plate is plastic
It looks metal in all the videos I've seen, but I just checked mine and it is plastic. So I don't know the answer to your question of what it is SUPPOSED to be, but at least ours match.... :)

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
It looks metal in all the videos I've seen, but I just checked mine and it is plastic. So I don't know the answer to your question of what it is SUPPOSED to be, but at least ours match.... :)
It's supposed to be plastic. My FX4 is plastic too.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Plastic to match the trans pan that is made of plastic, and doubles as it's own skid plate I guess. Gotta shave weight somewhere.

Last edited: