Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
This is the kind of stuff I'm talking about, now hundreds of Ranger owners are thinking "will I get a hole in my engine? I better go look!" That said, I'm checking now...
Sponsored

JAKE2.3

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX, 2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Occupation
Appraiser
Is that the #2 rod? Seems like if one is gonna go it's either the #2 or #3 in the middle of the block. Lot of theories to research on that if you wanna go down a rabbit hole. Sucks that you have had to go through all this, but I'm glad Stage 3 is backing you. Good to know there are still good companies out there.

Blue Streak

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX FX 2021 Honda CR V
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe its just the lighting of the picture, but do the cam lobes look a little discolored? Like lack of lube & heat buildup.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
.. I feel like Ford should have given me a little more, than a blanket sweep of “all the mods”...
For a CSI autopsy you'd have to take it to a shop that does such work.

In Fords defense, as discussed in the other thread...
  • The tune voided the warranty.
  • The oversized tires voided the warranty.
  • The off-road exhaust voided the warranty.
But you knew that going into this, right? That's why you bought the Stage 3 warranty. Smart move on your part!

What are you going to do with the block? That would make an awesome coffee table base!

Attachments

Last edited:

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Like i said in your other thread part 1, Im really glad this worked out for you. Im wondering why still, bc there are other people running the same tune right?
Ford picks parameters based on destructive testing of a bunch of engines. Tuners pick parameters based on "it seems to work". Why would it be a surprise that if you push engines beyond what Ford decided minimizes their liability for repairs across a large sample, some examples will fail?

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
According to the Ford Warranty guide....I guess I've been tampering.... :rockon:

Well since the judge told papaw to bring a toothbrush if she see's me again my foot has been fully reconditioned for less throttle in my Ranger.....;)

No worries....I still get on her every here and there, just have to be very aware of my surroundings.
I wouldn't want any carbon build up and then have to install a tailgate damper to get her back to running right...:devil:

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Yep, that'll do it. You got your low engine oil light after this event 100%. I agree this is all armchair, but it is based on my experience with blowing my fair share of 4 cylinder DOHC so give me a quarter. It wasn't a high-rev event, unless there is a valve dropped to oblivion somewhere. To me, this points to a tune issue, as these rods are strong AF. I'm glad they are taking care of you.
Agreed 100%
:LOL:
Maybe its just the lighting of the picture, but do the cam lobes look a little discolored? Like lack of lube & heat buildup.
Possibly, but you've got to remember he drove it home after it blew. Which is amazing in and of itself

Op, thanks for starting a new thread.;)

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
I’m not surprised. Noise, oil light, then drove it home.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Damn I wish I could've had the engine exposed like that when I installed my catch can. Built Ford tough and tough to work on that side of the engine while in the truck

SOHK_Alumni

First Name
Win
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2019 Ranger FX4, 2002 Vanden Plas, 1977 Eclat
Occupation
Glorified Mechanic
Got to admit, I'd love to see the wrist pin, end cap and everything between.

Looks like one of the rod bolts snapped or came loose and it all went downhill from there.

I suspect the tune would have taken out the wrist pin bushing 1st, not something at the crank end.