Trailer Tow Package Does Contain 4 Wires for Aftermarket Brake Controller Install

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger 1943 Willys Jeep
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Which is what I've already mentioned.
Sponsored

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I only have three wires taped to my harness. The violet one might be in there though, just not dangling. I see in the Redarc install guide that they steal the signal off the brake pedal with the addition of a weird wire pigtail thing, someone with more vehicle wiring experience should look at what I posted a few posts ago to see if it makes any sense to them.

heathconder

First Name
heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger xlt supercrew 4x4
found the violet/white wire tape in a near the others but coming out of the white plug. here are some pictures

IMG_0380.jpeg

IMG_0383.jpeg

IMG_0384.jpeg

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger 1943 Willys Jeep
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Sounds like you've got the 4 necessary wires. Put a tester on the end of the Violet/white wire to make sure it goes on and off with the brakes and you should be set.

Just wanting to make sure....you did verify the Green/Black wire went to pin 2 of the 7 Pin round connector correct? The diagrams show a Blue wire so I'd double check that if I were you. (convention shows it to be blue as well).

7-Way-RV-Style-Trailer-Plug-Wiring-Diagram-11.png

heathconder

First Name
heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yes and by the was the 7 pin plug is upside down on our trucks so the brake and ground are on the top. and yes i jusmp the brake pin to ground and check continuity to ground and took jumper out and it is the wire. not sure when it changes to black/green but yeah its the wire. ill check the violet/white in a few. and let yall know.

heathconder

First Name
heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
so checked the pink/white it has 12v when brake pressed and 0v when released. so know we have them all.

so the wiring is:
Yellow/red=12v power
black/green=to trailer
white=ground
violet/white=boo(brake on/off)

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks to our Lord and Savior Brake Controller Purple Wire Christ, I no longer have to wait for Ford to find their dealer installed brake controller option (they said it's not available yet)... I'll be installing the P3 when the weather brakes (snomageddon currently). Thanks everyone for your help.

EDIT: I ordered the GM harness for my P3 as the blank one is $3.99 more, and I have side cutters.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001NZKPS8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

-Chance

Last edited:

Marshal.

First Name
Marshal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger, 1979 Mazda rx7
Has anyone without the trailer tow package been able to confirm that the truck is still prewired with these same wires to connect a brake controller?
My truck will be arriving without a "tow package" but the dealer will be installing the OEM harness and hitch, I'm mostly curious how in depth this install will be, and if I should be concerned about the trailer brake portion of the harness needing to be installed, when I install my trailer brake unit.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've seen the "Dealer installed" trailer package, and from what I can tell it's the same harness. I don't know if the wires will come in the same place, but you may just have them install the Redarc when the truck comes in. I doubt it adds a significant amount of labor, and if they break anything, they get to fix it :)

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I hate to double post, but this seems relevant to this thread as well.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...oes-anyone-actually-have-one.1718/#post-18754
I had similar thinking as you, splicing the Tekonsha P3 harness into the factory tow package wiring. But I’ve been also looking at the Redarc Elite Pro brake controller, and they sell a Tekonsha to Redarc adapter.

So by wiring the Ranger for the Tekonsha first, I then have the option of running the Redarc as well.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Redarc/331-TPH-017.html

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I already had the P3, it's literally been used 2-3 times... I like the redarc better with the integration and whatnot, but I read the install instructions, and ripping plastic panels off a brand new truck is not for me anymore... Plus the clips they use on trim panels I swear are designed to explode and break off the panel...

I think you need to get the Redarc enabled by the dealer, or via someone with Forscan so that towing options show up on the dash cluster. I don't know for sure if that's the Ranger too, but the F150 is like that.

With my P3 if I need to move it to a different vehicle, it's only an 11$ pigtail and a few minutes wiring.

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I already had the P3, it's literally been used 2-3 times... I like the redarc better with the integration and whatnot, but I read the install instructions, and ripping plastic panels off a brand new truck is not for me anymore... Plus the clips they use on trim panels I swear are designed to explode and break off the panel...

I think you need to get the Redarc enabled by the dealer, or via someone with Forscan so that towing options show up on the dash cluster. I don't know for sure if that's the Ranger too, but the F150 is like that.

With my P3 if I need to move it to a different vehicle, it's only an 11$ pigtail and a few minutes wiring.
I got you covered with the Redarc install. Those crafty Australians.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/aftermarket-fascia-bracket-for-auxiliary-switches.1467/

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I posted the PDF in another thread, it's pull all these panels off, snake wires here, there, everywhere, ziptie this box thing to a metal bracket under the glovebox, and drill 2 holes in your center console :)

Garnet

First Name
Garnet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
This is close to an answer but will be great to hear from an owner who has accomplished the task
The 4 wires for the brake controller are bundled up by the driver side left kick panel. They are butt ended and shrink sealed. No plug so will need to be butt spiced to an aftermarket controller.

IMG_20190212_121305.jpg
Sponsored