Trailer Tow Package Does Contain 4 Wires for Aftermarket Brake Controller Install

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
***2/11/2019 Update*** Trailer Tow Package Does Come With 4 Wires for Brake Controller Hookup, But You Do Need to Butt Splice In Harness

img_0384-jpeg.jpg

According to @heathconder:

So I checked the pink/white cable and it has 12v power when the brake is pressed and 0v power when the brake is released. So now we have them all.

The Brake Wiring is:

Yellow/Red = 12v power
Black/Green = to trailer
White = Ground
Violet/White = BOO (brake on/off)
ORIGINAL POST:

I don't see a brake controller in the tow package.

I have a trailer with brakes (7 pin) and want to make sure I can use it.

Will I have to have an after market controller installed?
Sponsored

Bubbabiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Supercrew FX4
No integrated brake controller available. Will have to go with an aftermarket unit.

OP
OP
FX4Offroad

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
No integrated brake controller available. Will have to go with an aftermarket unit.
Thanks Bubba.

Have to say...that sucks. 7,500 poind Max, tow package with no option of an integrated brake controller. Even if it is an additional option.

What was Ford thinking?

If anyone has a recommendation, it would be greatly appreciated.

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase

One Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
family fleet of 4
Thanks Bubba.

Have to say...that sucks. 7,500 poind Max, tow package with no option of an integrated brake controller. Even if it is an additional option.

What was Ford thinking?

If anyone has a recommendation, it would be greatly appreciated.

Ford has stated that you can purchase the brake controller from your local Ford Service department.

j0shm1lls

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger SCrew Lariat FX4 Sport
Vehicle Showcase

j0shm1lls

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Problem is , the truck with the tow package will come already wired, I HOPE!
Bad news... I reached out to RedArc a while back, as they're the company Ford uses for their brake controller in the Ranger overseas... I was asking which of their wiring kits I should with the TowPro Elite and below is their reply.

Thank you for your e-mail and may I start by apologising for the slow response.

Normally REDARC are able to respond quicker however in this case we needed to confirm some details with Ford US in order to be able to accurately answer this question.

REDARC have confirmed that the Ford Ranger range in the US will NOT have a pre wiring in the vehicle.

As such, the installation of the Tow-Pro Elite brake controller will need to a “full” installation.

REDARC recommend the installation is conducted by an Auto Electrician.
Emphasis mine.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Bad news... I reached out to RedArc a while back, as they're the company Ford uses for their brake controller in the Ranger overseas... I was asking which of their wiring kits I should with the TowPro Elite and below is their reply.

Emphasis mine.
Just one more of more than a dozen issues which Ford can't or won't adequately or accurately respond to.
Its getting a little frustrating. What's the point of advertising a 7500 pound tow rating, installing a 7 point RV plug and then not offering the wiring to it??
I have been a radical Ford guy for most of my life, but they are beginning to alienate me with the incompetence of this product introduction... what is this thing? a Citation X-body?
I do hope this turns out to be false.
And I hope this is true...
6a00d83451b3c669e2022ad3a9efe6200d-800wi.jpg

Ford is making an integrated trailer brake controller an option that buyers can choose at dealerships. Two-wheel-drive models have the trailer brake dial located next to the transmission shifter; four-wheel-drive models have the dial mounted behind the Terrain Management rotary dial. All Rangers are prewired for the trailer brake controller regardless of whether they're being equipped with a tow hitch. We think it would be better to make the trailer brake controller a factory option as part of the towing package instead of an add-on at the dealership. We've seen several dealer-installed trailer brake controllers not perform as well as those integrated into the dash during the manufacturing proces

Last edited:

j0shm1lls

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I do hope this turns out to be false.
Me too, I find it hard to believe they'd run a 7pin to the back and not have the wiring running to it from somewhere in the cab.

j0shm1lls

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
6a00d83451b3c669e2022ad3a9efe6200d-800wi.jpg

Ford is making an integrated trailer brake controller an option that buyers can choose at dealerships. Two-wheel-drive models have the trailer brake dial located next to the transmission shifter; four-wheel-drive models have the dial mounted behind the Terrain Management rotary dial. All Rangers are prewired for the trailer brake controller regardless of whether they're being equipped with a tow hitch. We think it would be better to make the trailer brake controller a factory option as part of the towing package instead of an add-on at the dealership. We've seen several dealer-installed trailer brake controllers not perform as well as those integrated into the dash during the manufacturing proces
Where'd you pull that bit of info from? The controller pictured is the RedArc I mentioned - just with a Ford cap.

Stic-o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 Explorer ,'92 Bronco, '91 Navajo, '19 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
normally ford just has a plug in under the dash and a supplied wiring harness for the plug, with bare wires ready. This is how my Super Duty came, before they started offering controllers as a option. My '05 F150 I had before it the plug but I had to order the wiring harness which was available from the brake controller manufacture. I'm sure there is a universal ford plug or at least wires ready for this under the dash somewhere.
Sponsored