Trailer Tow Package Does Contain 4 Wires for Aftermarket Brake Controller Install

DrRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Taurus, 2019 Ranger XL (May 20)
Occupation
Retired
Does the Ranger come with a brake controller connector installed?
I thought I had read that it did, and today my dealer said that he got one that not only did not have the connector, did n ot even have the pig tails to make the connection.
Would like to hear from some of you that have installed brake controllers.
Sponsored

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
I thought I had read that it did, and today my dealer said that he got one that not only did not have the connector, did n ot even have the pig tails to make the connection.
Go to page 1 of this post and it tells you everything you need to know.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
do you have the tow package?

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I didn't spend much time looking at the echo but it appears you would still have to hardwire live 12V to the brake lead in the connector. If that is true ... what happens if someone decided to plug an RV plug from a trailer directly into the truck? I figure the Best that could happen is that it would fully apply the trailer brakes. That means you could not tow a trailer with an RV plug without this thing as a shunt.
The unconventional nature of this thing is bound to cause confusion if not real problems.
As cool as it is , my advice is to opt for a real brake controller!

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I didn't spend much time looking at the echo but it appears you would still have to hardwire live 12V to the brake lead in the connector. If that is true ... what happens if someone decided to plug an RV plug from a trailer directly into the truck? I figure the Best that could happen is that it would fully apply the trailer brakes. That means you could not tow a trailer with an RV plug without this thing as a shunt.
The unconventional nature of this thing is bound to cause confusion if not real problems.
As cool as it is , my advice is to opt for a real brake controller!
I would assume it would draw power from the existing 12v pin and would not require rewiring the plug; the entire point is to facilitate an easy connection that doesn't require complicated installation.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would assume it would draw power from the existing 12v pin and would not require rewiring the plug; the entire point is to facilitate an easy connection that doesn't require complicated installation.
In a normal controller, the controller applies power only proportionally on demand to the brakes. It is not on full time.
If you supply 12V to the brake terminal of the RV outlet on the vehicle it will no longer operate as intended without this new device
If you use an aftermarket plug and custom wire it directly from the battery this thing will work as intended, but you may just as well wire in a real brake controller with the same effort.

For instance this thing clearly will not work simply by plugging it in as a substitute on a new Ranger with a tow package.

Last edited:

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In a normal controller, the controller applies power only proportionally on demand to the brakes. It is not on full time.
If you supply 12V to the brake terminal of the RV outlet on the vehicle it will no longer operate as intended without this new device
If you use an aftermarket plug and custom wire it directly from the battery this thing will work as intended, but you may just as well wire in a real brake controller with the same effort.

For instance this thing clearly will not work simply by plugging it in as a substitute on a new Ranger with a tow package.
There are 7 pins. One of them is the brake, one of them is constant 12v. A device like this can pull 12v power from the truck side aux pin and apply it as needed to the trailer side brake pin. There is no need to rewire anything.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There are 7 pins. One of them is the brake, one of them is constant 12v. A device like this can pull 12v power from the truck side aux pin and apply it as needed to the trailer side brake pin. There is no need to rewire anything.
You are certainly correct... assuming you already have a fully functional RV plug and harness with no controller attached.
I understand how a fully functional RV plug works, but the vehicle would have to be prewired for an RV plug including a battery charge line for this thing to work as a simple "Plug and play"
That means that you might just as well hook up the four wires supplied for a brake controller.

If you have only a 4plug , there is no 12V charge line, you would have to wire a line from the battery with a 30A breaker for a power supply to an RV plug, supply another ground to the frame and plug in the four plug to the adapter, simple enough... but not exactly "plug and play".
I'm not arguing that it won't work... I am simply questioning the practicality of it.

For the Ranger you would have to have the tow package wiring for it to "plug and play" which would obviate the Echo.
You can buy a P3 installed for about half the price of the echo and still have your cell phone to do everything else, maybe even make phone calls!:LOL:

Last edited:

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non tow package trucks also have the necessary prewire, just not the receptacle. So you'd need to throw one of those on (regardless of which brake controller you use) but with this sort of thing (there are others, some of which use a dedicated remote if you just have phone phobia) you avoid having to crawl around under the dash and finding a place to mount the controller. They're also really handy if you want to use the controller in multiple vehicles. It's nice to have options, so people can pick what makes the most sense for them.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non tow package trucks also have the necessary prewire, just not the receptacle. So you'd need to throw one of those on (regardless of which brake controller you use) but with this sort of thing (there are others, some of which use a dedicated remote if you just have phone phobia) you avoid having to crawl around under the dash and finding a place to mount the controller. They're also really handy if you want to use the controller in multiple vehicles. It's nice to have options, so people can pick what makes the most sense for them.
I have never had a vehicle without a tow package which had a battery charge line or even the brake controller wiring supplied by Ford without a tow package. Four plug only? yes.

If the new Ranger is prewired on the NON-tow package trucks I would have no way to know that since Ford has not seen fit to build my truck.
I assumed that without the tow package you got nothing more for towing than a 4plug. I ran fleet trucks for many years and never seen more, but I have been retired now for some time.

Are you saying that the plug is already at the bumper of every Ranger to plug in an RV plug receptacle... with it already wired to the fuse panel and the controller wiring under the dash?
All I have seen so far is the 4plug taped up behind the bumper.
If all that is so, it makes a real brake controller even more practical and easy.

Still, I agree that people should have that choice and they certainly don't need my approval to choose Echo.
I am curious to learn how an installation goes on a non tow package 2019 Ranger from someone who buys an Echo..

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
I have never had a vehicle without a tow package which had a battery charge line or even the brake controller wiring supplied by Ford without a tow package. Four plug only? yes.

If the new Ranger is prewired on the NON-tow package trucks I would have no way to know that since Ford has not seen fit to build my truck.
I assumed that without the tow package you got nothing more for towing than a 4plug. I ran fleet trucks for many years and never seen more, but I have been retired now for some time.

Are you saying that the plug is already at the bumper of every Ranger to plug in an RV plug receptacle... with it already wired to the fuse panel and the controller wiring under the dash?
All I have seen so far is the 4plug taped up behind the bumper.
If all that is so, it makes a real brake controller even more practical and easy.

Still, I agree that people should have that choice and they certainly don't need my approval to choose Echo.
I am curious to learn how an installation goes on a non tow package 2019 Ranger from someone who buys an Echo..
Those that order the Tow Package get: Trailer Tow Package with 4-/7-pin wiring harness, and Class IV hitch receiver
Those that don't order will not have the 4-/7-pin wiring harness or hitch. But I remember reading that the knockouts are in the bumper and that someone saw the wires to the back bumper that can be hooked up.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Those that order the Tow Package get: Trailer Tow Package with 4-/7-pin wiring harness, and Class IV hitch receiver
Those that don't order will not have the 4-/7-pin wiring harness or hitch. But I remember reading that the knockouts are in the bumper and that someone saw the wires to the back bumper that can be hooked up.
Cool, all that but they can't afford a sunglass holder!!o_O:clap::LOL:
Sponsored