Brake controller (does anyone actually have one)

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
I originally created a thread regarding the lack of an integrated brake controller in the Ranger WITH THE TOW PACKAGE. That thread outlined many concerns however no one actually has had one installed...that I can see.

I started this new thread to see is anyone has had one installed and if so:

Who installed it:
Is there a "plug" for the controller already there:
How much did it cost:
Is it integrated:
Where is it installed (pictures):

Please provide any details you want. I'm sure it will help all of us.
Sponsored

Last edited:

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I originally created a thread regarding the lack of an integrated brake controller in the Ranger WITH THE TOW PACKAGE. That thread outlined many concerns however no one actually has had one installed...that I can see.

I started this new thread to see is anyone has had one installed and if so:

Who installed it:
Is there a "plug" for the controller already there:
How much did it cost:
Is it integrated:
Where is it installed (pictures):

Please provide any details you want. I'm sure it will help all of us.
From what I can see it uses the F150 pigtail, so I'm going to order this part, and hope for the best.

https://www.etrailer.com/p-22292.html

Regards,
Chance

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did the search for 2019 Ford Ranger, and that is what came up, I do own a ranger, and have not even seen it in the daylight yet :) I'll be much more help in a few weeks when the "new" wears off. The Redarch IS the factory controller, and the knob looks like what I've seen on others with the dealer installed option.

EDIT: If you click the "See things that fit my vehicle" you go here: which has pictures of the exact same harness. So maybe the Ranger instructions start with "Cut grey plug off pigtail"

https://www.etrailer.com/bc-2019_Ford_Ranger.htm

oggvorbis

First Name
Pablo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Reposted from the other brake controller thread...

I can confirm that there is no pigtail behind the glovebox of my '19 Ranger with the factory tow package. There is a group of 3 wires at the left footwell of the driver's seat which looks like it's supposed to be butt spliced, but I didn't have the time to verify where or what it was connected to. Below is a photo of that area.
AC51DE76-4FBF-4CA0-949E-0BD02345646B.jpeg

D68B5C9B-513F-489E-8468-DD55A8EDCC3A.jpeg

My Ranger is currently being paint corrected, the front end having paint protection film installed, then ceramic coated all at my buddy’s shop (a high-end detailer) an hour away from my home, so I won't have it back until Tuesday at the earliest to check other places it could be like behind the stereo or in the area where the factory tow controller are on F150s.

I purchased the Redarc Tow Pro Elite along with an F-150 wiring harness weeks ago before I purchased my Ranger, taking the gamble that they probably use the same pigtail. I just saw that etrailer has a verified '19 Ranger harness adapter now so I might just order that too since it would arrive here before I get the chance install the Redarc. Worst comes to worse, if I can't find or there is no brake controller harness, I'll end up just directly wiring it to the 7-pin wires luke MrClortho mentioned. A weekend afternoon spent underneath my brand new Ranger doesn't sound bad at all...

Regardless I'll keep you guys posted.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a Teknosha P3, If there is indeed a plug behind the dash, I wonder if there will be a pigtail with either open wires, or at the best one that fits both the truck and the brake controller. If not, there's always the $4.99 pigtail for the P3 I can butt splice in. I don't tow anything with brakes in the winter, so I have time to wait.

EDIT: Confirmed that I also have the bundle of wires tucked up under the dash. Thinking about finding a junkyard F150 and acquiring the plugin connector...

Last edited:

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Picture time :)
Now that the violet wire has been found I decided to order up the new harness for my P3 (I left the old one attached to my jeep).

I decided to make this one quick connect so I don't have to dangle the harness under the dash when the controller is stored.

I ordered this harness from Amazon because it was cheaper than the one with the un-connected ends, and put Anderson Power Poles on each wire.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001NZKPS8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The two "bundles" are connected to each other so that they will only fit into their corresponding mates on the truck. Had I been thinking properly, I would have added the +12 and gnd to the same one so I could use the brake circuit as a 20A+ accessory when the controller is not in use.

I may still disconnect them and reconfigure so that +12 and Gnd are in the same bundle.

I will post more when I get the other half installed in the truck sometime later this month (when the weather doesn't suck anymore)

IMG-0265.JPG

IMG-0266.JPG

Stic-o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 Explorer ,'92 Bronco, '91 Navajo, '19 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Where are you going to mount the P3? I have one in my super duty, but there's a lot more room in there. That kinda why I like the redarc. Nice and small. I do love my P3 however.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will probably put it in the little compartment by the USB ports, or just under the dash at knee level.

spudlips

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford SuperCrew Lariat 4x4 - FX4, Sport, 501A, Trailer Towing, spray bed, etc
Hi 5G Group, your submissions are invaluable! I have had my Ranger since Jan. and have been working with multiple dealers who don’t have much information on the brake controller issue. They best the techs have come up with is there is a section 95-1 in the Ford Service Manual online that says something about a brake controller harness. As I stand there looking over the techs shoulder he clicks on the link and the link crashes in his browser. He is not motivated to ask Ford Corporate why the page crashes and email/fax him the information. Anyone know what is in section 95-1 and can share it?

I then head over to the parts department. I want to get on the list for the mythical brake controller/harness, Et al. The part number he finds is FL3Z19H332F, but has no description or picture or anything about what this part number stands for. Eleven of them are apparently shipping soon, but he can’t tell where... Does anyone know what this is?

I have found my 4 butt-splice wires on the left drivers side kick plate LHS, like previous post pictures. I did not even have to remove the LHS panel as I could fish them out from above it. I’m not afraid of butt-splicing, but am trying to get resolution on why etrailer.com states that Redarc told them the factory brake controller harness location was behind the dash panel to the left of the stereo?
https://www.etrailer.com/question-337662.html
https://www.etrailer.com/question-337036.html
I, like others, can’t find any plug or port under the dash. Why would they state that and have us purchase the Redarc Plug-and-play Wiring Harness for Tow-Pro Trailer Brake Controllers Item # 331-TPH-007 instead of a generic pigtail if the port didn’t exist? I get that I can cut the gray plug off, but really? My 2003 F-350 had a port for my P3. I have emails into Redarc and etrailer for clarification, but wanted to inquire here as well to share information.

djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Tacoma 4dr Sport Long Bed
Vehicle Showcase
I am curious why more Ranger owners aren’t considering a wireless brake controller such as the Tekonsha Prodigy RF wireless brake controller. I haven’t used one, but they are well reviewed, easy to install and only $250.

DHMag

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew cab, 22 Wrangler Willys
For connectors, I would probably go with a Deutsch style. They're available from Mouser, Digikey, or McMaster Carr.

Stic-o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 Explorer ,'92 Bronco, '91 Navajo, '19 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
I am curious why more Ranger owners aren’t considering a wireless brake controller such as the Tekonsha Prodigy RF wireless brake controller. I haven’t used one, but they are well reviewed, easy to install and only $250.
Because we don't always tow the same trailer. A lot of times I borrow or rent a trailer. Having a built in brake controller just makes for a clean install. Unfortunately there's not a lot of room in this cab for a huge brake controller taking up room. I have a Tekonsha Prodigy P3 in my Super Duty and love it, but I can't imagine where I would put that thing in my Ranger cab.
Sponsored