Our Rangers Theft Prone like F- Series? How, and How to Protect?

Muddy Fenders

Banned
Banned
First Name
Judd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
Sounds like a great product. This is an expensive mod (like many we purchase) but I'm not sure I'd buy one at the price of around $800 + $300 to $400 to have it installed for my Ranger. If I had an exotic vehicle I would most likely go that route though.
Imagine though, installing one of these and then having a start issue later on through something totally unrelated...what Ford shop would touch it ?? They would blame this gizmo
Sponsored

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher

Old NaCl

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Ranger 2X4
Occupation
Mechanical Designer
Guess we need the Pinto security system.
Wired into the seat pressure switch.

Skit hjƤlm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hilux, Ranger, Landcruiser,
Fwiw,
Unless they changed design of this Ravelco thing, Its hardly as secure as advertised.
A few of our company cars had them installed. Which gave me opportunity to figure it out without also needing to break their ignition lock.
Anybody electrically compentent and a few minutes with a meter or even a 'poke light' can figure it out to defeat.
Its confusion factor is its primary security value. Of course majority of thieves are stupid and opportunistic so wont spend time to work out a defeat method.
Number 1.

4AE4E89C-FDB8-4A49-A5ED-5123684DF50B.jpeg

BE612936-226D-421A-BCDC-A2E915175AD2.jpeg

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Perhaps. They'll also need a bit of knowledge with that as well.

My point is that these threads pop up on the regular around here. Next will be a "do I need to protect my catalytic converter?" thread.

And it's likely because the local news stations are running their rotating "don't pay attention to what's really go on, be afraid of this" stories.

I hate to tell you. But if vehicle theft is really a valid concern to you, you shouldn't waste your time trying to stop them. Your efforts are best placed trying to move out of whatever shithole you live in.
You mean like these that already exists here?
(1) Search results for query: catalytic converter | 2019+ Ford Ranger and Raptor Forum (5th Generation) - Ranger5G.com

KnightWolf

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
IT Consulting
Realistically the best security is to not keep your keys near the front of your house & put them in a faraday cadge. You can even line a drawer with some tin foil and it should dampen the signal enough.

This.
Most car thefts are crimes of opportunity. Most car thieves aren't going around with fob readers unless they are targeting specific high end cars. Most are walking through the neighborhood pulling on door handles to see what opens. Such a simple thing to take your keys and lock your car yet so many are too lazy to take that simple precaution. :facepalm:
I've seen lots of videos/stills people capture from their security cameras of guys scanning for fobs. They're not just targeting high-end, anything they can get their hands on then the vehicle is used in another crime. There was a pretty massive bust in Toronto over the summer where 28 people were charged, include some who worked for the government that facilitated transferring the ownership of stolen vehicles. There's posts almost every day or every other day of everything from civics to Mercedes being stolen.

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger, '14 Ford Edge, '74 VW Type 181
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
Realistically the best security is to not keep your keys near the front of your house & put them in a faraday cadge. You can even line a drawer with some tin foil and it should dampen the signal enough.

I've seen lots of videos/stills people capture from their security cameras of guys scanning for fobs. They're not just targeting high-end, anything they can get their hands on then the vehicle is used in another crime. There was a pretty massive bust in Toronto over the summer where 28 people were charged, include some who worked for the government that facilitated transferring the ownership of stolen vehicles. There's posts almost every day or every other day of everything from civics to Mercedes being stolen.
Maybe, but it's still more common to have a car stolen if you leave the keys in it.
I may wear a tinfoil hat sometimes but someone scanning my keys is pretty low on my list.

Grooge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
News is rife with theft of newer Ford F-150s, 250s. Is this a simple matter of breaking windows and ā€˜hot wiringā€™ ignition? Iā€™m ignorant of the technique.

If thereā€™s some special vulnerability, do our Rangers have the same vulnerability? Same draw for dirty thieves?

My Ranger doesnā€™t fit in my 2 car garage, water heater, furnace and stairs make it too short. I hate ā€˜the clubā€™ and heard you can cut through the steering wheel with bolt cutters to defeat them.

So, how and why are Fords so theft prone, and are our Rangers less favored or vulnerable? Any secrets to minimizing theft risk?

I use this box. I at least feel safer.

Faraday Box, RFID Signal Blocking Box, Faraday Key Fob Protector Box, RFID Signal Blocking Case Car Key Safe Box Retro Style Large https://a.co/d/2R3v6Z6

seanellaz

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT CrewCab Fx4
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
Perhaps. They'll also need a bit of knowledge with that as well.

My point is that these threads pop up on the regular around here. Next will be a "do I need to protect my catalytic converter?" thread.

And it's likely because the local news stations are running their rotating "don't pay attention to what's really go on, be afraid of this" stories.

I hate to tell you. But if vehicle theft is really a valid concern to you, you shouldn't waste your time trying to stop them. Your efforts are best placed trying to move out of whatever shithole you live in.
I'd love to see sum a hole tryna take the cat out of the ranger.

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
I've said multiple times on the RS forum and I've messaged Ford. I think one of the best ways to reduce the relay attack on cars/trucks with intelligent access (IA) is a simple BCM update. Update it so that if the owner double presses the lock button on the fob for the lock confirming beep, disable IA until the unlock button on the fob is used. This would completely prevent thieves from using a passive system to gain access to the vehicle while still keeping the vehicle convenient for the owner. If they feel the vehicle is in a safe place they can just get out, press the door handle to lock it, walk away, come back, grab the door handle and get in. But if they're going to be shopping for a while in the area or leaving it outside overnight, as they get out of the vehicle instead of just locking the door with the handle, they grab the fob double tap the lock, hear the single beep to confirm secure, and nobody's going to get in it using a relay system.

Furthermore, if multiple attempts are made to open the door with a passive method while IA is disabled, even (especially) if it thinks the key is present, the alarm should sound.

Last edited:

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
I'd love to see sum a hole tryna take the cat out of the ranger.
I'd probably feel sorry for him struggling and offer to help
squinty grin.jpeg

P-38Ranger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
I went the Apple Air Tag route, then they had to change the software!!!!!!
Still, it tells me when the truck drives away in the middle of the night. I have yet tried to track it. 90% is to deter a semi tech savvy thief.
Seriously, with all the tracking Ford does, and the cameras out there, any serious professional theft ring will be go quick.
as a side story, I had a friend and looked out his house window and noticed that there was an unusual car parked there. Just weird enough to raise a suspicion and then 10 minutes later, the bank robbers stopped to change cars before he could blink, the cops surrounded it and busted them. it has been a robbery trend and the cops used license plate scanner cameras and knew this car was stolen and stakesd it out because that neighborhood didn't have stupid people living on it. That kind of crime quickly went away. That was over 20 years ago.

TOMDEE

Banned
Banned
First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 lariat
Occupation
retired
News is rife with theft of newer Ford F-150s, 250s. Is this a simple matter of breaking windows and ā€˜hot wiringā€™ ignition? Iā€™m ignorant of the technique.

If thereā€™s some special vulnerability, do our Rangers have the same vulnerability? Same draw for dirty thieves?

My Ranger doesnā€™t fit in my 2 car garage, water heater, furnace and stairs make it too short. I hate ā€˜the clubā€™ and heard you can cut through the steering wheel with bolt cutters to defeat them.

So, how and why are Fords so theft prone, and are our Rangers less favored or vulnerable? Any secrets to minimizing theft risk?
http://www.sherlock.ca/en/new-obd-protector/

LostMy65

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
There's this battery powered siren alarm that goes off with motion detection. They need to come out with one that pepper sprays the jerk in the eyes when they open the door.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase