Our Rangers Theft Prone like F- Series? How, and How to Protect?

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
If one single thing comes out of this thread, it is this: You need good insurance coverage! Too many companies give quotes without coverage you SHOULD have, to make themselves APPEAR to be less expensive. What you really get is, CHEAP insurance! Thus when claim time comes, all you get is SORRY!
Sponsored

SigOris

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
Perhaps. They'll also need a bit of knowledge with that as well.

My point is that these threads pop up on the regular around here. Next will be a "do I need to protect my catalytic converter?" thread.

And it's likely because the local news stations are running their rotating "don't pay attention to what's really go on, be afraid of this" stories.

I hate to tell you. But if vehicle theft is really a valid concern to you, you shouldn't waste your time trying to stop them. Your efforts are best placed trying to move out of whatever shithole you live in.
My catalytic converter was removed at factory as a cost saver ?

Synfulz

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Diesel :)
Occupation
Retired Powerplant Operator
Vehicle Showcase
So here it is 1 AM Monday morning and I am reading this thread. The light comes on(in my head). I remember I left my keys in my truck from cleaning today. Now honestly the odds of my truck being stolen in my neighborhood are about 1 in 10,000. But I will sleep better with the keys not in the ignition. So this thread had value. ??

Muffin1

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Silver STX 4X4 SC
I’ve done that before,although the keys were in the covered console and the vehicle was blocked in by 2 of my other cars that were locked, probably why I got careless either case a bad habit I need to stop.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
So here it is 1 AM Monday morning and I am reading this thread. The light comes on(in my head). I remember I left my keys in my truck from cleaning today. Now honestly the odds of my truck being stolen in my neighborhood are about 1 in 10,000. But I will sleep better with the keys not in the ignition. So this thread had value. ??
Best thing this thread has done.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
I would wager that the new Fords that were stolen were push button start and no breaking of glass or hotwiring was required.

I did a quick bit of research and the only instances of Ranger theft I found all had push button start.

I don't think that is necessarily a Ranger issue though as push button start vehicles from all manufacturers are frequently targeted since they are relatively easy to spoof with the right equipment.

You can keep the keys in a faraday pouch, but that kind of defeats the convenience of not having to dig your keys out.
The last time we had a thread on the theft of our push-start Rangers, I went on Amazon right away and bought a Faraday Box for my keys. Sure, it is less convenient than leaving them in your jeans or hanging them on the wall, but then again, I have not lost my keys or my truck since then. Just saying...

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, one in 10,000 is not zero...

MrBirdman330

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XL STX Special Edition
Occupation
Letter Carrier
Why when I had my Grand Cherokee I absolutely refused to use the lock and unlock feature on the fob. I used the button inside the door to lock when I got out, and of course I had the hand sensor for the door handle to unlock. Key stayed in my pocket at all times. Insurance won't cover any damages done or loss of stolen vehicle if you leave the keys in it.

Justin says...

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XLT Lux
Occupation
IT System Analyst II
Let's just for a second focus on the insurance. I have Geico, and I have no idea how good or bad they would be if my vehicle was stolen. I assume they will try to weasel out any way they can so even when I'm tempted to leave my keys in the truck (like when it's in the garage) I take them.

Anybody here have their car stolen before? Did insurance pay market value or what?

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
Before I retired, we had a car theft ring targeting the airport parking lots. All they were doing was checking to see who was leaving their key fobs in their cars. They were getting multiple cars a night .

Dave1899

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Supercrew Lariat 2WD
Occupation
Retired Living the Life
Sounds like a great product. This is an expensive mod (like many we purchase) but I'm not sure I'd buy one at the price of around $800 + $300 to $400 to have it installed for my Ranger. If I had an exotic vehicle I would most likely go that route though.

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger, '14 Ford Edge, '74 VW Type 181
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
Before I retired, we had a car theft ring targeting the airport parking lots. All they were doing was checking to see who was leaving their key fobs in their cars. They were getting multiple cars a night .
This.
Most car thefts are crimes of opportunity. Most car thieves aren't going around with fob readers unless they are targeting specific high end cars. Most are walking through the neighborhood pulling on door handles to see what opens. Such a simple thing to take your keys and lock your car yet so many are too lazy to take that simple precaution. :facepalm:

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
This.
Most car thefts are crimes of opportunity. Most car thieves aren't going around with fob readers unless they are targeting specific high end cars. Most are walking through the neighborhood pulling on door handles to see what opens. Such a simple thing to take your keys and lock your car yet so many are too lazy to take that simple precaution. :facepalm:
Some people are too lazy or distracted to operate a self-cancelling turn signal, let alone push a lock button.
Sponsored