Sponsored

OP
OP

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
I am on my third E boot. Truck has 14,000 miles. This one is starting to look like it's only a matter of time. Ford tells me they will just keep fixing it. Trim issues are low on their list of concerns.

For 3 years or 36,000 miles they will. After that we either live with it or start chocking the wheels and not using our parking brake......

OP
OP

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
I wonder if there's a product that will soften this garbage up to prevent the cracking??

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder if there's a product that will soften this garbage up to prevent the cracking??
Hi 2.7½

Hmmm...good question....maybe 303?

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

DSoelter

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat supercab 6'
Search drew a blank...

the black vinyl boot around the handbrake on 2020 Lariat is cracked and deteriorating in several spots. Seems like a much heavier and less flexible material than the boot around the shift lever. It's cracking and tearing where it should just flex.

Have a service due this month, and thinking it might be good if I can let them know it's not an isolated issue.

Thanks!

• Sad
Reactions: Doc

DSoelter

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry, just did another search and see a number of posts. Called it a handbrake in search, not emergency brake. My bad...

Reactions: Doc

Silverfox

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 xlt sport 4x4
Occupation
Tech
Noticed it on mine as soon as it got cold out. Unreal. You’d think they could use a material that doesn’t self destruct.

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
Mine gets so hard that I think it's down but it's really still up just a little. I get about three houses a way and the alarm goes off.

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Mine started to crack within a couple months. Was in the dealership for something else and mentioned it to the sales guy. Within five minutes the service guys were ordering a replacement for me under warranty. It's almost been two years on the replacement and it still looks fine.

I had been concerned about the replacement not holding up, so at one point I had contacted Redline Goods to see if they offered a real leather aftermarket replacement. They didn't, but they did say:

"The manner in which we have devised almost all of our products is that once we had a person interested in getting our boots for their car which we did not support at the time, we'd offer them to send their current, stock items to us to use as templates. Shift and ebrake boots we'll have to unstitch, so they will not be returned. However armrest lids will of course be returned intact. You will also receive everything else you send (trim pieces, trim rings, etc.)

"To express our gratitude for such an effort, we do give our leather boots for free, but we require writing an installation write-up (you can find many of those on our site, it's not that much work, just a description of pictures of the steps you took to install them) and sending it to us via email along with some after-installation pictures."

Like I said above, my warranty replacement has held up fine, but anyone who's concerned about it might consider checking out Redline and perhaps see if they still need a template.

DSoelter

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine started to crack within a couple months. Was in the dealership for something else and mentioned it to the sales guy. Within five minutes the service guys were ordering a replacement for me under warranty. It's almost been two years on the replacement and it still looks fine.

I had been concerned about the replacement not holding up, so at one point I had contacted Redline Goods to see if they offered a real leather aftermarket replacement. They didn't, but they did say:

"The manner in which we have devised almost all of our products is that once we had a person interested in getting our boots for their car which we did not support at the time, we'd offer them to send their current, stock items to us to use as templates. Shift and ebrake boots we'll have to unstitch, so they will not be returned. However armrest lids will of course be returned intact. You will also receive everything else you send (trim pieces, trim rings, etc.)

"To express our gratitude for such an effort, we do give our leather boots for free, but we require writing an installation write-up (you can find many of those on our site, it's not that much work, just a description of pictures of the steps you took to install them) and sending it to us via email along with some after-installation pictures."

Like I said above, my warranty replacement has held up fine, but anyone who's concerned about it might consider checking out Redline and perhaps see if they still need a template.

Has anyone removed the boot themselves? Level of dificulty? I'd be happy to be the guinea pig for this project if the boot is fairly easily removable. I was just thinking about this when this posted.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
If it's removable see if a local upholstery shop will make one. I had a nice custom seat made but I doubt they guy would do that small a job. He'd have to charge enough to make it worth his time. Last spring I stopped in with my buddy looking to have his seat done an he wasn't taking anymore work for the YEAR.

Make them in bulk an sell them on here if you have the stuff to do it.

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
I have a Tremor. Would be interested in a potential replacement to match the Miko Suede inserts.

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
Can we not put some of @AzScorpion 's Dee Zee Lucas Damper Conditioner Oil on it and get it to soften up? LOL - In jest but seriously, is there some sort of penetrating oil or conditioner like you put on dash and leather to keep is soft supple and pliable?

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Can we not put some of @AzScorpion 's Dee Zee Lucas Damper Conditioner Oil on it and get it to soften up? LOL - In jest but seriously, is there some sort of penetrating oil or conditioner like you put on dash and leather to keep is soft supple and pliable?
Mine still looks great and it bakes all day in the AZ sun while I'm at work. I use the 303 Aerospace Protectant on all my interior trim including the brake boot.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JG3OIF...olid=18AQHC875EVXC&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
Sponsored