Sell to Dealer for Close to MSRP?? OR Keep it and Mod??

Blue Streak

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX FX 2021 Honda CR V
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
You seem to be stuck between the rock & a had spot. The truck you need for when you need it but not the one you want. A new one is going to cost you more but might be what you want. Tough call on personal choices. If you are comfortable without a truck & can sell yours & make money go for it while the time is wright, save your money to get what you really need & want. I personally like my truck. Did not buy to modify it. When things wear out I will replace them unless it starts to have a lot of problems, then she goes bye bye. ?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
You will be in the same predicament If you sell it and get different vehicle. It will come with quirks and oddities that you wont be happy with.
Besides being a LONG wait for a Bronco, the ones available with a 7 speed manual start at 38K. Ford offers the Badlands edition with 35's, but only with the 10sp auto and those are around 50k.
SO I say, stay with what you have and do a little modding to work out the quirks you don't like. If the trans shifting bothers you, drive in select mode, or trailer tow mode (even without a trailer).

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
You will be in the same predicament If you sell it and get different vehicle. It will come with quirks and oddities that you wont be happy with.
Besides being a LONG wait for a Bronco, the ones available with a 7 speed manual start at 38K. Ford offers the Badlands edition with 35's, but only with the 10sp auto and those are around 50k.
SO I say, stay with what you have and do a little modding to work out the quirks you don't like. If the trans shifting bothers you, drive in select mode, or trailer tow mode (even without a trailer).
I'm not trying to argue but he did say he has a 2nd vehicle to drive until things settle down. The 7spd will be available next year on SAS. ;)

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
One cloud on the horizon is that there likely isn't a Ranger equipped the way you want it already built.
Hurry! Ends Soon! Cloud On Horizon 2.0: You may be getting more than you paid for it on trade or outright sale now, but incentives on new have all but dried up, in my market, anyway; will the same hold true when a factory ordered truck (any brand) comes in?
Bonus! COH 3.0: The 10R80 Transmission is what it is. As you mentioned, a tune may help change the shift points, but if you are seriously considering tuning your current Ranger, you likely would tune the next one, and that after potentially paying more for it than you did for this one.
IMO, short shifting automatics are industry wide these days, in a never ending quest to burn the absolute minimum complex hydrocarbon molecules. For me, dropping it down a gear under 50mph is cheaper than a tune.

I notice that you have the standard suspension on yours. I test drove both a standard suspension and an FX4 back to back before ordering mine, and spec'ed the FX4 Package for exactly that reason: it was better isolated. I'm happy with it, but I may consider upgrading when the OEM shocks & struts are worn out.
Cactus Grey was originally my #1 choice, but I wanted the STX & SE packages on XL trim. That combination has black accents & front bumper vs Magnetic or color matched on the XLT or Lariat. On the configurator and elsewhere, it was too harsh a contrast for me, so I went with my #2 Carbonized Grey.
I gave serious thought to special ordering Area 51, but learned it could be days or weeks before I found out if they would even do that (same paint shop as the Bronco-wotz the prob?), and then didn't have any estimate on the extra cost, or how much of a delay it might cause. Now with the chip shortage dilemma my Carbonized Grey might be out of warranty before an A51 would start down the line.

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
Drive mode sucks. Like the others say, drive it in sport mode or tow haul. To hell with mpg. It only lugs and has 4 different overdrives and ass tech to meet ridiculous government mpg standards.
Used cars are on a bubble, good to sell bad to buy right now. Inflation hitting hard shortages on food, clothes, cars parts, eletronics, Playstation, furniture, wood, cement, so take that into consideration. How much to replace the ranger and at what price? With the feds giving away money, i have no clue or idea what the future brings. I got lucky with buying my ranger at the price i did and right now just in a holding pattern before making any large purchases, or improvements to the house.
But i cant tell you what to do, only what i am doing at the moment and why. Good luck with your decision. Not an easy choice.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
So I've been in a battle with myself since last week. I went to a local dealer to see what they would give me for my 2021 XLT Supercab with about 4,000 miles. MSRP was $38,755. To my amazement, they offered $38,000. Been thinking about it for a week. I didn't pay anywhere near that in March so I stand to get my down payment and truck payments back, as well as make a little off the top. However, for as scarce as new cars are, it's tempting to just keep for a while (I have a 2nd car I was planning on driving until things calm down).

However, there are some things I'm not happy with about the truck. First being the bouncy-ass suspension. I know some new upgrade shocks should solve this. Next is the transmission. Coming from driving manuals for the past 15+ years, I wasn't sure if I would be happy with an auto, and I was right. Sometimes the trans wants to lug, sometimes it wants to shift. I know the Ford Performance tune is supposed to improve the trans mapping a good bit. Also stands to mention, bigger tires would be nice, as well as a level.

Long story short, I need to dump $2,000 into the truck to make it the "truck I want". Dump money into it, or get out while I'm ahead???

20210625_173201.jpg

20210625_173224.jpg
Hey, it's your dime (and your truck), so do what you want! But keep in mind, the "bouncy-ass suspension" (as you call it, and I agree) can be vastly improved while leveling with the Ford/Fox 2.0 Leveling Lift Kit (or other aftermarket options discussed on this forum), and the Ford Performance Tune (or other aftermarket options) will improve the shifting and add HP + Torque, which, from what you say, would take care of your issues with the truck for the time being. This would easily carry you over into the next generation of Rangers, Ranger Tremors, Ranger Raptors, etc. Good luck with whatever road you choose!

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vagabond
trade it for a maverick? sounds like that would fit you better
No manual available, if that would be a sticking point. The 8f35 8spd AT is the same one used in the 2020-21 Escape; short shifts (IMHO, personal experience). No "sport" mode with the hybrid or 1.5L 3cyl- 2.0's only. Area 51 is available (sigh).

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vagabond

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Honestly, you haven‘t owned the truck long enough to get used to it. About $300 for rear shocks largely fixes your suspension complaints. As for the transmission, my truck drives a lot better at 4000 miles than it did new and I think most owners would tell you the same.

OP
OP
DAT84

DAT84

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Sport | '09 MS3 - CorkSport Tuned
Occupation
Structural Detailer / Drafter
You seem to be stuck between the rock & a had spot. The truck you need for when you need it but not the one you want. A new one is going to cost you more but might be what you want. Tough call on personal choices. If you are comfortable without a truck & can sell yours & make money go for it while the time is wright, save your money to get what you really need & want. I personally like my truck. Did not buy to modify it. When things wear out I will replace them unless it starts to have a lot of problems, then she goes bye bye. ?
Yeah, the way I keep looking at it is, I have 5 more years of payments to go. 3 months in and there's things I don't like already; how am I going to like it one, two, three, four years down the road. IMO things HAVE to level out eventually. When the new Ranger comes out (which obviously is a ways off), I foresee the 5g dropping in value a good bit.

Another thing to consider is with the Maverick coming out. . . It is so close the the Ranger's specs (bed length is only 6 inches shorter and payload is nearly on par), the average consumer would look at the Ranger and wonder why it's worth the $10,000 or so extra.

Last edited:

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
So I've been in a battle with myself since last week. I went to a local dealer to see what they would give me for my 2021 XLT Supercab with about 4,000 miles. MSRP was $38,755. To my amazement, they offered $38,000. Been thinking about it for a week. I didn't pay anywhere near that in March so I stand to get my down payment and truck payments back, as well as make a little off the top. However, for as scarce as new cars are, it's tempting to just keep for a while (I have a 2nd car I was planning on driving until things calm down).

However, there are some things I'm not happy with about the truck. First being the bouncy-ass suspension. I know some new upgrade shocks should solve this. Next is the transmission. Coming from driving manuals for the past 15+ years, I wasn't sure if I would be happy with an auto, and I was right. Sometimes the trans wants to lug, sometimes it wants to shift. I know the Ford Performance tune is supposed to improve the trans mapping a good bit. Also stands to mention, bigger tires would be nice, as well as a level.

Long story short, I need to dump $2,000 into the truck to make it the "truck I want". Dump money into it, or get out while I'm ahead???

20210625_173201.jpg

20210625_173224.jpg
We've historically kept our vehicles for over 15 years, so getting rid of a new vehicle is rare for us. Last time we did that was in '95... traded our lemon '91 GMC Jimmy for a new 95' Tacoma.

But I'm in agreement on wanting a stick shift, my Ranger is the first auto I've daily driven since 1985. I'd buy a new Ranger if they offered a manual... but it seems that's not going to happen anytime soon. I do like the engine braking in our 2019 Ranger's 10R80, but it's no where as good as a real manual transmission.

All that being said, if there's ever been a good time to unload a nearly new vehicle... this is it. I'd say strike while the iron is hot.

We need a mid-size truck. There isn't a truck being built today that's better than our 2019 Ranger. We'll be in for the long haul.

Good luck to you, whichever way you decide to roll.

Last edited:

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
Yes, I do like sitting up higher (coming from a 2015 Focus and my 2nd car is a Mazdaspeed 3), but I do really miss rowing my own gears and handling turns better.
Every time I get in a car I feel like my butt is dragging on the ground. I need to be further way from the ground, not closer too it.

Even my most recent motorcycle, a BMW adventure bike, I put a 2" riser seat on it. When I come to a stop I can only put a toe down on one side, but I can see over other cars!

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Every time I get in a car I feel like my butt is dragging on the ground. I need to be further way from the ground, not closer too it.
Same here. Every time I get in my gf Honda Civic I feel like I'm sitting on the pavement. It just feels weird since I've always owned trucks.

Even my most recent motorcycle, a BMW adventure bike, I put a 2" riser seat on it. When I come to a stop I can only put a toe down on one side, but I can see over other cars!
That's how I am without a 2" riser. ? When I had my ZX-11 and GSXR 1K I had to lean the bike to one side in order to touch the ground.

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Same here. Every time I get in my gf Honda Civic I feel like I'm sitting on the pavement. It just feels weird since I've always owned trucks.
Haha, I have learned to love the truck height. For the first couple years of owning a truck, I always missed the low feel of a car. Feeling close to the road, definitely felt more alive driving. However, after I took an extended road trip in a Mustang rental in Hawaii.. I realized I love the height of the truck because I forgot I have mild astigmatism, boy oh boy others headlights nice bright stars of light :LOL: Now it's 70% truck lover, 30% slammed low car lover. Used to be the other way around.
Sponsored