MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
I can see a lot of incentives going away if/when they do this. You might now only see some smaller ones like if you finance through Ford credit or some end of the year ones if there's some dealer stock leftover. I would guess all the other manufacturers will get on board with this or I can see this backfiring on Ford. Why wait months for yours to be built when you can go over and buy directly off the lot somewhere else. Of course this is if you like the others product but for some not so fussy folks I can see them doing this.

https://autos.yahoo.com/ford-moving-toward-build-order-180000140.html
From what Farley says, for Ford, "incentives going away" is the whole point, or maybe the main point, of changing over. Still, personally, even though I hated the wait for the Ranger, I like going through "Build and Price" so that I can get (mostly) what I want on my truck and (mostly) avoid what I don't want, which is a lot harder to do if choosing from among trucks that happen to be on the lot.
Sponsored

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Well folks, the times they are a changin'. I've special ordered most all of my new vehicles since 1986, and never had a problem. Of course I chalk that up to my local Ford dealer being good at what they do. When Farley said, "I can see a lot of incentives going away" I thought, "Well, hold onto your wallet" unless they start realistically pricing their vehicles. I'm old enough to know that pricing and incentives are all relative, and when manufacturers give you that $1000 incentive much of it has been baked into the price. Folks of my generation along with a couple in front and behind me are used to the game, and know you never pay sticker for your everyday run of the mill grocery getter. But with the younger generations being used to living their entire lives on line I can see this working. As more, and more of us older generations fall away the younger ones won't know any different.

Last edited:

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
I can see dealers stocking basic models to cater to the fleet/ commercial industry, plus mostly loaded vehicles in the most popular colors, but requiring that you order if you want to customize. It would suck if you needed a car quick, like if your current vehicle was totaled in an accident. Maybe they think they can get the lead time down to a few weeks.

This is the way everything is going so I guess cars should be no exception. The days of going down to Sears and coming home with whatever you needed are over.
I was a salesman at an Oldsmobile and Cadillac dealership in the 80's. We always had a lot of sold orders out there because the location was very limited in terms of space and therefore selection. The owner would prefer that you sold something out of stock since he was paying floorplan on it and it kept people from going to another dealer but a sold order was still a sale. At that time my county had 2 Ford dealers, 2 Chevy dealers, and 5 Olds dealers.

vanapagan

First Name
Gregory
Threads
Reaction score
Website
vanapagan.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT Super Crew
Occupation
Cloud Computing Engineer
I see a simple economics and manufacturing problem with a mostly build to order model. Basically, efficiency. It is easier and more cost effective to build 1,000 units of a certain model with certain equipment packages in a particular day than it is to build 1,000 one up models.

Just the added cost of having to have parts on hand and staged when you are talking about large numbers of units is a costly nut in money and logistics. Why pay a UAW worker to sit around just to install a handful of option items when you can schedule a run where that worker is installing their part all day?

Batching up similar build orders to make it worthwhile will elongate fulfillment times too. Imagine being told that your order is being pushed out because you chose an unpopular option and they are waiting for more people to make the run worthwhile?

If Ford does go this route of build to order expect more options to be bundled together into larger packages like many of the Japanese manufacturers do.

Additionally, I think many options that were once factory installed only will now be available as dealer installed but that will require product redesign to accommodate. This way, Ford won't lose a sale for the customer who cannot wait weeks/months for a vehicle that is ordered and has to choose from something off the lot.

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Lariat 2020 SOLD Black Cadillac XT5

maxbottomtime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT SCAB 4x4
don't give them any more ideas....
I didn't say charge for it haha. What the heck else is the dealer good for? Seems this minimizes their importance (which I'm not against).

While current prices are pretty rigid, there's also a level of haggling you aren't getting with direct orders. If cars tend to send 2K under MSRP regularly, and now 60% of sales are expected to be custom orders at full MSRP, then I suspect other makes will do very well.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
I see a simple economics and manufacturing problem with a mostly build to order model. Basically, efficiency. It is easier and more cost effective to build 1,000 units of a certain model with certain equipment packages in a particular day than it is to build 1,000 one up models.
That’s basically how I was told it works when I was a car salesman. They don’t change the color in the paint guns for every car, they make 50 red ones, then 50 white ones, etc.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
In the EU, half or more new vehicles are customer order. Dealers here get factory or financial institution floor plan assistance on their inventory, but it doesn't cover after a certain length of time.
I don't think it would involve too much engineering change to accomplish going to a customer-spec business model. It's been done for decades in the fleet industry. Conversion Vans of the 70's-90's were done this way. Fire engines, cop cars, utility trucks, ambulances are still built this way. Raw chassis go to a bailment company. who installs the body and apparatus (cranes, hydraulics, etc) and they put their equipment on different brands of chassis.

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I didn't say charge for it haha. What the heck else is the dealer good for? Seems this minimizes their importance (which I'm not against).

While current prices are pretty rigid, there's also a level of haggling you aren't getting with direct orders. If cars tend to send 2K under MSRP regularly, and now 60% of sales are expected to be custom orders at full MSRP,

then I suspect other makes will do very well.

I would guess most if not all the other manufacturers are going to go this way too. This makes even more sense with Fords investment (Billions) into EV over the next few years. With the change over from ICE-EV/PHEV there will be a lot of holdouts who will still prefer an ICE vehicle. There's no way it would be cost effective for Ford (and the dealer) to fill the lots with both.

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
That’s basically how I was told it works when I was a car salesman. They don’t change the color in the paint guns for every car, they make 50 red ones, then 50 white ones, etc.
Yes that's exactly how it is, they get painted in batches. I've seen the pictures and videos of the new Bronco's coming off the line. There's a mix of Rangers in there too and they're all the same color.

spartan0078

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger lariat
Occupation
Railroader
Damn right deals will go away. There's not gonna be anymore huge dealerships buying 100 trucks at once and getting a huge discount they pass on to us to get our business. ?

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
That is the Tesla model now. You may be able to test drive a sample model, but otherwise I believe they are order only. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.
My brother was a day-1 reservation holder for the Model 3. When his number finally came up, he didn't have a the opportunity to test drive one from Tesla before finalizing his order. He actually ended up renting one through Turo before committing to the order. I thought it was a little odd to be paying for a test drive, but he was happy (and to be fair, at the time Tesla had a 7-day full-refund guarantee if you didn't like your car after taking delivery).

Online order is a model that will work for quite a large number of consumers, but as for me, I like to try out cars and shoes before purchasing.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Damn right deals will go away. There's not gonna be anymore huge dealerships buying 100 trucks at once and getting a huge discount they pass on to us to get our business. ?

I started looking into selling the Ranger and going for an F150 and the salesman stated that Ford is all but demanding that it be special ordered and the only incentives they can apply are the trade-in offers currently available. He also stated that Ford is not allowing them to apply X-Plan pricing on any vehicle that is on the lot and would have to make special requests for special orders to ensure we get that pricing. He did state that to place an order I'd have to make a $500 deposit but that it's 100% refundable if I change my mind and decide to not buy it once it arrives. This is really going to change the car buying experience. The massive multi-acre dealerships will be a thing of the past. They'll probably be reduced to a fraction of what they are now.

Not to mention how this will impact people who need to replace their current car for various reasons but cannot wait for it to be built. With the dealerships having minimal on-hand stock they will either have to settle for something they don't want, or have to pay for a long term rental.

RBTremor

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Mustang Convertible, 2019 Mustang Conv. 2.3L
I think it COULD work if two things happen:
  1. They shave the price to reflect the savings that they are getting from this model. Maybe offer an additional $1-2000 off for special orders while still doing things like X-Plan pricing.
  2. They need to get more efficient at reducing the time to delivery. 8-12 weeks (or more) is too much for many people to wait in this instant gratification society.
Just ordered a 2021 Tremor and Ford is offering $1000 off to "Build your Own" orders and honoring A Plan.

Grussell

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat 4X4 Screw, 17 Escape Titanium
Occupation
retired fire fighter
I think it COULD work if two things happen:
  1. They shave the price to reflect the savings that they are getting from this model. Maybe offer an additional $1-2000 off for special orders while still doing things like X-Plan pricing.
  2. They need to get more efficient at reducing the time to delivery. 8-12 weeks (or more) is too much for many people to wait in this instant gratification society.
8 to 12 weeks is also too much to ask when they aren't currently capable of delivering in that time period. I ordered in mid-April for a mid-July delivery that isn't scheduled to be built until next week and with the time to deliver to the dealer taken into account, I will be lucky to have it in early to mid-Sept. If it comes in the second week of September, that will be 20-21 weeks since it was ordered.
Sponsored