Sell to Dealer for Close to MSRP?? OR Keep it and Mod??

DAT84

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Sport | '09 MS3 - CorkSport Tuned
Occupation
Structural Detailer / Drafter
So I've been in a battle with myself since last week. I went to a local dealer to see what they would give me for my 2021 XLT Supercab with about 4,000 miles. MSRP was $38,755. To my amazement, they offered $38,000. Been thinking about it for a week. I didn't pay anywhere near that in March so I stand to get my down payment and truck payments back, as well as make a little off the top. However, for as scarce as new cars are, it's tempting to just keep for a while (I have a 2nd car I was planning on driving until things calm down).

However, there are some things I'm not happy with about the truck. First being the bouncy-ass suspension. I know some new upgrade shocks should solve this. Next is the transmission. Coming from driving manuals for the past 15+ years, I wasn't sure if I would be happy with an auto, and I was right. Sometimes the trans wants to lug, sometimes it wants to shift. I know the Ford Performance tune is supposed to improve the trans mapping a good bit. Also stands to mention, bigger tires would be nice, as well as a level.

Long story short, I need to dump $2,000 into the truck to make it the "truck I want". Dump money into it, or get out while I'm ahead???

20210625_173201.jpg

20210625_173224.jpg
Sponsored

Sharky

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger 2015 Ford Focus 1934 model 40
Occupation
retired
if you dont need the truck, sell

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Do you like it enough to sink another $2K into it and drive it for a while until something else comes along? Maybe sell it and see what the next Gen Ranger is like and what other options/changes it has. If you're not all that excited about it I would sell it now and get your money back and wait and see what next years model (on any vehicle) comes out with.

Some have said they've seen their values through Carvana going down lately compared to last months quotes so I wouldn't wait to long. You really cant loose either way as it's a really great truck! Good luck with whatever you decide.

OP
OP
DAT84

DAT84

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
if you dont need the truck, sell
Yeah, I mean I've found plenty of "productive" things to do with it in the past 3 months (Home Depot runs etc), but I've survived 20+ years driving with no truck, so I think i can manage until I find something else I like (hoping 6g Ranger would be more appealing to me).

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Lariat 2020 SOLD Black Cadillac XT5
I think you know what to do. Plus, I am not a big fan of that color :sunglasses:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Yeah, I mean I've found plenty of "productive" things to do with it in the past 3 months (Home Depot runs etc), but I've survived 20+ years driving with no truck, so I think i can manage until I find something else I like (hoping 6g Ranger would be more appealing to me).
There areas fixes for the limited times you "need" a truck. Rent one from HD, Lowes or even Uhaul for a few hours. I really enjoy driving a truck and I do "need" mine for work so for me it's a necessity but it sounds like you could get along just fine without one. Take the money and run. ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
DAT84

DAT84

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Do you like it enough to sink another $2K into it and drive it for a while until something else comes along? Maybe sell it and see what the next Gen Ranger is like and what other options/changes it has. If you're not all that excited about it I would sell it now and get your money back and wait and see what next years model (on any vehicle) comes out with.

Some have said they've seen their values through Carvana going down lately compared to last months quotes so I wouldn't wait to long. You really cant loose either way as it's a really great truck! Good luck with whatever you decide.
Yeah, that's my conundrum. I think I could like it a little more if I mod it some, but of course that will hurt my future trade in value. I like the way it looks, but when it comes to driving dynamics and interior fit and finish . . .

OP
OP
DAT84

DAT84

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Those areas fixes for the limited times you "need" a truck. Rent one from HD, Lowes or even Uhaul for a few hours. I really enjoy driving a truck and I do "need" mine for work so for me it's a necessity but it sounds like you could get along just fine without one. Take the money and run. ?
Yes, I do like sitting up higher (coming from a 2015 Focus and my 2nd car is a Mazdaspeed 3), but I do really miss rowing my own gears and handling turns better.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Yes, I do like sitting up higher (coming from a 2015 Focus and my 2nd car is a Mazdaspeed 3), but I do really miss rowing my own gears and handling turns better.
You could always get a new full size Bronco. They have a stick, Bilstein shocks and you can get them with 35's from the factory if you want. You'd have plenty of time to decide because at the rate they're going it would end up being a very late "22 or early '23 if you ordered now.

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
Nice dilemma. Not often you can make money on a vehicle, so if it doesn't fit your needs take advantage of the offer.

I'm happy to be back in a truck so the midsize Ranger fits my needs but with the crazy resale making money on a two year old vehicle to get a new one has crossed my mind but there is no inventory to replace it.

OP
OP
DAT84

DAT84

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
You could always get a new full size Bronco. They have a stick, Bilstein shocks and you can get them with 35's from the factory if you want. You'd have plenty of time to decide because at the rate they're going it would end up being a very late "22 or early '23 if you ordered now.
Yeah, I have been researching them. I'm happy with the 2.3, so that, coupled with the 7 speed is tempting. Biggest downfall is no truck bed :(

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Yeah, I have been researching them. I'm happy with the 2.3, so that, coupled with the 7 speed is tempting. Biggest downfall is no truck bed :(
Easy fix for your needs. Get the tow package and a small trailer or just rent a trailer when you need one. It sounds like you only need a truck bed every once in a while? There are 6 different models and every one has the option to add the Sasquatch package if you want 35's and the Bilstein shocks. The stock Badlands comes with 33's and Bilstiens too.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
One cloud on the horizon is that there likely isn't a Ranger equipped the way you want it already built.
Hurry! Ends Soon! Cloud On Horizon 2.0: You may be getting more than you paid for it on trade or outright sale now, but incentives on new have all but dried up, in my market, anyway; will the same hold true when a factory ordered truck (any brand) comes in?
Bonus! COH 3.0: The 10R80 Transmission is what it is. As you mentioned, a tune may help change the shift points, but if you are seriously considering tuning your current Ranger, you likely would tune the next one, and that after potentially paying more for it than you did for this one.
IMO, short shifting automatics are industry wide these days, in a never ending quest to burn the absolute minimum complex hydrocarbon molecules. For me, dropping it down a gear under 50mph is cheaper than a tune.

I notice that you have the standard suspension on yours. I test drove both a standard suspension and an FX4 back to back before ordering mine, and spec'ed the FX4 Package for exactly that reason: it was better isolated. I'm happy with it, but I may consider upgrading when the OEM shocks & struts are worn out.