Sell to Dealer for Close to MSRP?? OR Keep it and Mod??

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
IMO if you are asking the question you are already half way there. If its afrimation you need i will play along...sell it.

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Long story short, I need to dump $2,000 into the truck to make it the "truck I want". Dump money into it, or get out while I'm ahead???
You can dump $2,000 into the truck and it is likely that you still will not be happy with it. If you have another car to drive, sell the truck and wait a year. Chances are good this will all blow over by then and you can find a vehicle you like and you will have the money in hand to pay for it. If it doesn't blow over, then you still have the money and a car you can drive.

Samsquanch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition XLT
I would probably keep it and mod it the way you like. I can’t think of anything out there that ticks all your boxes. You could get a Tacoma with a manual but the engine is kind of a dog and the truck feels pretty outdated.

The new Frontier looks nice. No idea if a manual will be available I suspect not but just a guess. Not a Nissan fan but the frontier is certainly the best vehicle they make.

Bronco comes with 7mt on all trim levels. Not sure why someone else said it’s 38k to get a model with a manual but it’s available from Base on up except for 4 door base. A nicely equipped one can creep up or exceed $40k either way. Ordering one now will more than likely get you one for 2023. You could drive the ranger until then.

The only thing I can say is I bought my Ranger as a stop gap because the wait for my bronco was too long. I didn’t like how it shifted and hated the suspension (still do) at the end of the day it has really grown on me and I do love the truck. I am no longer expecting that I will buy a bronco until 2023 at the soonest and may keep the Ranger well beyond that.

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
Haha. The only thing family has asked me to haul so far is when my mom bought a new mattress, so I had to deliver that to her.

I've already had mine up to it's max payload capacity a few times. 16 x 80 lb bags of concrete mix (1280 lbs), plus my 200ish lb self, put me right there (wanna says it's like 1480 lbs). Aside from a little squat in the back, I could barely tell I had anything back there.

I removed my tonneau and put everything else back to stock this morning. But then, I decided to hold off for today and told the dealer. I asked if I could have til Monday. He said call back Monday and they'll let me know if they are still interested or not. I contacted a few other dealers out of curiosity, and was told $32 and $33. I have a feeling the $38,000 offer wont be around Monday :( Kinda kicking myself now and thinking I shoulda went with my instincts first thing this AM and gone to the dealer. Of course I am one who overanalyzes EVERYTHING, even buying cereal, so this is what happens.
Dave,
Glad to hear that the Ranger handled close to payload without a hiccup. I wished I'd thought to look at the loaded bed position and also get a photo of it.

I had a problem deciding between a cap and a topper on my previous Truck. The owner of the business said you are an "over-thinker." He nailed it. I know what you mean by being an analyzer.

I too toyed with the idea of selling my Ranger and getting a new one but didn't go for it. I have the color and all the features I wanted except for the standard small infotainment screen, but can live with that without much of a problem. And no serious problems at all with the Truck. I know the dealer would try to hit me with dealer add-ons, etc., then of course tax, title and license. Then I would have to get another spray-in bed liner. Recently did did a wheel and tire upgrade and that would be another negotiation point. All in all for me, I think I'm better off keeping the one I have. Hope everything works out for you satisfactorily! :)

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Haha. The only thing family has asked me to haul so far is when my mom bought a new mattress, so I had to deliver that to her.

I've already had mine up to it's max payload capacity a few times. 16 x 80 lb bags of concrete mix (1280 lbs), plus my 200ish lb self, put me right there (wanna says it's like 1480 lbs). Aside from a little squat in the back, I could barely tell I had anything back there.
Sounds like you do, in fact, need a truck. So, there’s that.

OP
OP
DAT84

DAT84

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Sport | '09 MS3 - CorkSport Tuned
Occupation
Structural Detailer / Drafter
Sounds like you do, in fact, need a truck. So, there’s that.
You are correct on that. I've found plenty of uses for it, for sure.

1st Pic is hauling almost 12' sheets of corrugated metal for my pole building garage addition, about 400 lbs worth. Seemed to be putting a strain on my Harbor Freight bed extender lol. Reminds me of one complaint I had: I wish the front tie downs were closer to the floor of the bed, to tie down thin objects like this to prevent teeter-tottering effect.

2nd & 3rd are concrete, wheelbarrow, and rebar, and 4th pic is the "squat" when maxed out, according to the payload numbers.

20210525_170443.jpg

20210612_101333.jpg

20210612_101758.jpg

20210618_162729.jpg

Tfcurranjr

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired USAF pilot
I haven’t read all the Comments; sorry if I’m repeating the obvious:

If offered $38,000 for a used XLT Sport; I’d take the money & run.

Just curious; what were you going to spend the $2000 on to make it “the truck that you want”? (Besides a Ford (?) tune.)

OP
OP
DAT84

DAT84

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I haven’t read all the Comments; sorry if I’m repeating the obvious:

If offered $38,000 for a used XLT Sport; I’d take the money & run.

Just curious; what were you going to spend the $2000 on to make it “the truck that you want”? (Besides a Ford (?) tune.)
Was going to get Bilstein 5100 shocks $390, all terrain tires $800 or so, and the Ford tune.

Been going around today thinking i missed a golden opportunity, but the dealer just called me and asked if I'm still interested. Hell yes I am. 2 hours and I'm headed there. Hopefully it's not too good to be true. Drove by yesterday, and they didn't have a single Ranger on their lot, so they must be desperate.

Other dealers that offered me far less said they already have Rangers on the way, and to look for big discounts once all these "held up" 2021s start making their way to dealers.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Black is ALWAYS the best color for ANY vehicle ever made. We all know this. Come on...
While I really loved all my black vehicles they are the hardest to keep clean and they show every little scratch. Especially out here where there's so much dust just floating around daily, with my OCD I'd be washing it non stop. lol

Chuck Lau

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger...2005 Mustang Steeda
Occupation
Retired
Fugging sell it now while you can. It has characteristics you don’t care for. Putting $2k into may not make you happy. This is the time to get out and make $ on what you are not happy with.

Quit talking about it and go for the $$. You will be a much smarter new vehicle purchaser knowing what you don’t like in the truck.
From what I'am hearing.....He should SELL...SELL...SELL...He will not ever be Happy with the truck...The reason he is asking Us is Just to check to make sure his decision is Correct.
Get Out NOW!

OP
OP
DAT84

DAT84

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
From what I'am hearing.....He should SELL...SELL...SELL...He will not ever be Happy with the truck...The reason he is asking Us is Just to check to make sure his decision is Correct.
Get Out NOW!
It's SOLD!!!!! (yesterday) Kinda miss it, but didn't shed any tears (yet) lol.

Duwop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 F250 Platinum 57 Chevy 3800 96 F150 20 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
Dang, 4 full pages to decide to get out of a vehicle

thewhiteranger

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger fx2 and a 2019 Subaru Outback
Occupation
medical
I really do love my ranger BUT if I had a second car to drive, Id sell it - wait it out and get another probably 4x4 this time....... I dont need it but its nice to have now and then...... at least I have the FX2 with the locking rear end. its a great truck but the carmax offer with over 5k more than I paid so IF I could, id sell it but I need a car unless my lotto numbers hit...... this craziness can't last to much longer but I just saw a news item that ford is shutting production down on some lines -- including the F150s temporarily due to parts shortages so who knows??? it might be around a while Im glad Im not looking right now.
Sponsored