Fuel in oil

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
Like I mentioned above a 2-stroke engine is the only engine that is made to run and lubricate on both gasoline and oil. But again those Motors don't live long lives, they are a motor not built for longevity.
That is an interesting point and one that had not crossed my mind. A two stroke engine is just the opposite of the situation being discussed in this thread. With the two stroke you have a small amount of oil per gallon of fuel. With some percentage of Rangers it is a small amount of gas mixed in 1.5 gallons of oil. I know some old two stroke outboards that have had long lives but I take you point that as a general rule they don't tyically have the lifespan of a four stroke.
Sponsored

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
Most modern day engines call for 0W-20 oil to be used these days. Ford calls for 5W-30 for the 2.3 which is just about as modern an engine as you can get I think most would agree. I'm just sayin..
I'm repeating myself here, but it depends on the application. The Focus RS (2.3 Ecoboost) owner's manual specifies 5W50 and the Mustang (2.3 Ecoboost) calls for 5W30 for normal driving and 5W50 when racing.

N. J. Jim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
I don't think 5W 40 will kill the engine yet a half of a quart or more of fuel won't. A lot of people seam worried about 5W 40 or 10W40 but not concerned about the high fuel dilution!

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
A little harsh but............OK. What I got was $16,900 buy back from Ford for a 2012 Focus (purchased in July of 2011) with 129k on it. Got another $2500 to use if I bought another Ford....which I did. Ended up turning my $42+K Ranger purchase, into roughly a $22K out of pocket expense. Wasn't happy with the issues I had with the Focus, but more than happy with the final outcome.
The post was tongue in cheek.

However, sounds as though you were not only compensated, but compensated VERY well.

That car has a high KBB value of roughly $5000, meaning Ford basically paid $12500 to drive it for a few years.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I blame that one on the buyers.

Anybody...

A. Buying a Focus or Fiesta that isn't a manual.

&

B. Buying a cheap car with an unproven dual clutch transmission.

...deserves what they get.
Ahemmm, I owned one of them. The Focus went in under a few recalls and one instance of slip. It ran great for the 6 years we owned it. My daughter ended up with it when wife was thru with it. All I ever did was normal maintenance, front wheel bearings and breaks. So for us it was a good experience. ?

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Ahemmm, I owned one of them. The Focus went in under a few recalls and one instance of slip. It ran great for the 6 years we owned it. My daughter ended up with it when wife was thru with it. All I ever did was normal maintenance, front wheel bearings and breaks. So for us it was a good experience. ?
Did yours get bought back too?

Seems like a hell of a deal if so.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Did yours get bought back too?

Seems like a hell of a deal if so.
She traded it in on an Escape. Pretty sure dealer resold it as it was on their lot for 2 days with a detail done then gone. It was an awesome blue/green color.

55F100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
Like I mentioned above a 2-stroke engine is the only engine that is made to run and lubricate on both gasoline and oil. But again those Motors don't live long lives, they are a motor not built for longevity.
FWIW not all 2 strokes work that way, I used to maintain a couple of two stroke 71 series Detroit Diesels (an OG 671 and a monstrous 24V71) and they have a conventional oil pan, oil pump, filters, etc.
As it happens the 24V71 had serious fuel dilution issues and after dealing with that on the job there is no way I want to do that again with my personal vehicle. I was seriously considering buying a new Ranger but it is off my list until Ford has a definitive fix and implements it at the factory.

Last edited:

Samsquanch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition XLT
Well my oil analysis was a dud. Word to the wise, don’t take a small sample and assume it will be enough. Honestly black stone should be a little more clear on how much is required but it’s only $30 so no big deal. I was too worried about drawing out the excess oil not sure if the level would go down on the dipstick since I was going to the dealer the next day. My copper and silicone was high but more or less noted as break in materials not of concern.

The dealer changed the oil at 1000 miles. I’m just under 1400 miles today all highway and my oil is at the top hole. Their mark from changing the oil is within the hash marks exactly where others have reported the correct oil quantity shows up on the dipstick after an oil change. I am going keep monitoring it and if it goes above full it will go back and I will ask them the change the injectors or get Ford involved directly.

SymChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 / 2017 Escape SE FWD
Samsquanch, I always wondered. is your avatar(profile) pic actually YOU?
Lol, that’s “Bubbles” from Trailer Park Boys (tv show and actually tried a “movie” special too). Canadian made. Lots of *bleeping* in it if you watch the censored version, but a stupid-funny show IMO.

Brought my baby, gee she’s already 2!, in for her 6-month checkup last week. Ford service didn’t indicate anything amiss so that’s good ?

GregsFX2Ranger

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT 302A 4x2 Rapid Red Black Appear Package
Occupation
Management
Lol, that’s “Bubbles” from Trailer Park Boys (tv show and actually tried a “movie” special too). Canadian made. Lots of *bleeping* in it if you watch the censored version, but a stupid-funny show IMO.

Brought my baby, gee she’s already 2!, in for her 6-month checkup last week. Ford service didn’t indicate anything amiss so that’s good ?
I wanted to say "Milton" from Office Space. :)

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Well my oil analysis was a dud. Word to the wise, don’t take a small sample and assume it will be enough. Honestly black stone should be a little more clear on how much is required but it’s only $30 so no big deal. I was too worried about drawing out the excess oil not sure if the level would go down on the dipstick since I was going to the dealer the next day. My copper and silicone was high but more or less noted as break in materials not of concern.

The dealer changed the oil at 1000 miles. I’m just under 1400 miles today all highway and my oil is at the top hole. Their mark from changing the oil is within the hash marks exactly where others have reported the correct oil quantity shows up on the dipstick after an oil change. I am going keep monitoring it and if it goes above full it will go back and I will ask them the change the injectors or get Ford involved directly.
For future reference, Blackstone has a helpful instruction page for sampling to help ensure you get a proper sample to them.

Also, while you're perusing their website, be sure to take a look through their FAQ page. Even if you don't have any Q's that might be frequently asked enough to be included in there, it's well worth the read. You'll see what I mean.

I also had high copper and silicon in my first change, but as expected they dropped off rapidly with subsequent oil changes. By the third oil change, levels of both were below the "universal average".

Arky73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4
I am new on here, and have just read through a lot of this. Here is my take away.
I am going to get my oil changed every 5k, and do the other factory recommended crap. Other than that, I’m going to drive the hell out of it. If the motor blows, so be it. They can replace it under warranty, and if it’s out of warranty, guess I will have to pay for the replacement myself. I’m not going to worry about it at all. I’m just gonna drive it. I will for sure not be collecting oil samples, and smelling the oil every day when I get done driving it. It is what it is. She’s either gonna last, or she’s gonna blow.

CompDude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lariat Rapid Red
Occupation
PAID GEEK
Update.. 1100 miles on my oil change took it back to the dealer who wanted to check it at 1k they said the oil was high and smelled like gas
The service adviser asked if they could keep it and contact ford for further information.. I left the truck there..

Oil level before I took it in..

PXL_20210511_175825580.jpg
Sponsored