Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
Medical
Is the rear seatback locked back? Providing its a super crew
Yes I’ve pretty much ruled out anything being loose that’s visible to the eye... seats, tailgate ... it’s so bizarre. I stop and then you hear a thumb toward the back of the truck.
Sponsored

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
Yes I’ve pretty much ruled out anything being loose that’s visible to the eye... seats, tailgate ... it’s so bizarre. I stop and then you hear a thumb toward the back of the truck.
My seat back wasn't latched when I got the truck. It drove me nuts. Til I got back there and cleaned the rear window inside and bumped the seat back and it moved. I have to slam mine back to get it to latch.

trmkars

First Name
Tyson
Threads
Reaction score
Website
photos.project395.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
IT Stuff
Vehicle Showcase
I have the same noise going on.

DrizzyDrake

First Name
Drake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Legacy GTB, RX7 FD, soon buying a ranger
Occupation
Technician at Subaru
No modifications. It’s been making this sound since day one. I’m going to take the service guy for a drive because they say it doesn’t make the noise when they test drive it. ??‍♀??‍♀
It's a safe bet. When I worked at the dealer it was much easier to find the noise if someone else had heard it. Also it helps if there is a video, but it's not as helpful.

OP
OP

Michelle

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
Medical
I have the same noise going on.
Any clues yet? Has the dealership addressed the noise? I still need to take mine back in... what a pain. Ugggg

trmkars

First Name
Tyson
Threads
Reaction score
Website
photos.project395.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
IT Stuff
Vehicle Showcase
Any clues yet? Has the dealership addressed the noise? I still need to take mine back in... what a pain. Ugggg
No solid leads yet, but maybe the spare tire chain? I repositioned the extra links on mine and the noise is much less frequent.

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
Serious response here. Usually when rhat happens. Its something behind my rear seat. I have a 4 door model.

Ranger33566

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT SuperCrew
Occupation
Retired
My 2020 XLT 2WD Super Crew is now at 7760 miles, but I experienced the same annoying clunk after a complete stop since the VERY FIRST DAY. Having taken the truck to two different dealerships in two different cities, they all said it was normal.

Yesterday, I took the rear driveshaft off and found that there was almost no grease on the splines on the driveshaft and slip yoke. It maybe too early to declare victory, after having lubed the slip yoke, I didn't hear/feel the clunk during a 10-minute trip.

Here are the parts I purchased at the Ford dealership to lube the slip yoke:

. Motorcraft PTFE Lubricant 3 oz. tube (part# XG-8)
. Slip Yoke Boot Kit (part# AB3Z4421A)

GitRDone

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT
Occupation
Real estate management
^^ This
OP, in your original post you didn't mention but does the clunk happen after you come to a stop and start to ease up on brake pedal? If so, it's the dry spline issue Ranger33566 mentions. I had it on my previous truck, a Tacoma. Pretty common on trucks with automatics, and pretty annoying too. Here's a copy and paste from another forum which explains it pretty well:
Its a result of differential wrap up. Automatic transmissions only. Here is what is happening. As you brake, the differnetial tries to roll forward, as the rear shoes are attatched to the rear axle. So it rolls the diff forward, the pinion nose dives down and the slip yoke on the driveshaft puls apart, then you apply the brakes. But with the automatic transmission, the "load" is still on the slip yoke because an automatic will keep applying pressure ot the driveshaft. So the bind on the slip yoke in the extended position holds the rear diff "wrapped up" and when you release the brake, it unwinds and gives you the affect you just got lightly bumped buy a car behind you. Does this sound right? Add more grease to the slip yoke.

Last edited:

Ranger33566

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT SuperCrew
Occupation
Retired
^^ This
OP, in your original post you didn't mention but does the clunk happen after you come to a stop and start to ease up on brake pedal? If so, it's the dry spline issue Ranger33566 mentions. I had it on my previous truck, a Tacoma. Pretty common on trucks with automatics, and pretty annoying too. Here's a copy and paste from another forum which explains it pretty well:
Its a result of differential wrap up. Automatic transmissions only. Here is what is happening. As you brake, the differnetial tries to roll forward, as the rear shoes are attatched to the rear axle. So it rolls the diff forward, the pinion nose dives down and the slip yoke on the driveshaft puls apart, then you apply the brakes. But with the automatic transmission, the "load" is still on the slip yoke because an automatic will keep applying pressure ot the driveshaft. So the bind on the slip yoke in the extended position holds the rear diff "wrapped up" and when you release the brake, it unwinds and gives you the affect you just got lightly bumped buy a car behind you. Does this sound right? Add more grease to the slip yoke.
Well explained, Andrew. I too experienced this same issue with my 3rd-generation Tacoma and 1st-generation Tundra.

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazdaspeed3, M3
Occupation
EHS
That sounds like the issue I'm having. Trans works great but a get the clunk/ low frequency thud from the back end when I come to a stop and also often when coming off of the brakes to accelerate from a complete stop. If I come to a complete stop VERY slowly (like so slow you can't tell if the truck has stopped moving yet), I don't get the thud. I'm going to report this to my dealer.

OP
OP

Michelle

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
Medical
That sounds like the issue I'm having. Trans works great but a get the clunk/ low frequency thud from the back end when I come to a stop and also often when coming off of the brakes to accelerate from a complete stop. If I come to a complete stop VERY slowly (like so slow you can't tell if the truck has stopped moving yet), I don't get the thud. I'm going to report this to my dealer.
Same here! Keep me updated what u find out! I’ll b taking mine to dealer again and I’ll report back what they find.

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazdaspeed3, M3
Occupation
EHS
Same here! Keep me updated what u find out! I’ll b taking mine to dealer again and I’ll report back what they find.
I spent some time digging into the shop manuals yesterday trying to figure out if I want to do this myself. I may just get under the truck and look around a bit further (I just changed the oil but didn't get to looking around too much). Based on what Phil has mentioned in other threads and some research on my own, it seems like the slip yoke/splines are the likely culprit.

OP
OP

Michelle

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
Medical
I spent some time digging into the shop manuals yesterday trying to figure out if I want to do this myself. I may just get under the truck and look around a bit further (I just changed the oil but didn't get to looking around too much). Based on what Phil has mentioned in other threads and some research on my own, it seems like the slip yoke/splines are the likely culprit.
Are they possibly defective?
Sponsored