First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger stx
Occupation
Retired
I'm curious what my engine is "supposed" to sound like. When I am driving around town, taking it easy on the throttle without the radio on, I can hear two distinct sounds from the engine compartment. I hear the low, throaty sound of the engine and I hear a clicking sound. The clicking speeds up and slows down with RPM and even goes away sometimes (not just when I let off the gas). The interior is very quiet so both sounds get muted a bit but the clicking sound stands out and drives me batty. What do you guys hear when you are driving?
The same thing on mine, why don’t all di pumps doo that?
Sponsored

Simplemann14

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger stx
Occupation
Retired
I took my Ranger to my dealer today and they told me that the clicking noise is a characteristic of this engine. That does not change the fact that it's annoying as hell though. :(
I agree I got the same run a round,I should have kept my sport trac with the 4.0. No noises with that engine?

11 r150

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 ranger 2018 focus eco 2012 fusion 2013 silverwing
The first 3 to 5 yrs on the 4.0 sohc was a nightmare. Once Ford got the bugs worked out, it was pretty dependable. Own one myself, nice & quiet. Runs like a top. But, mine is in my 2011 Ranger.

Simplemann14

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger stx
Occupation
Retired
The first 3 to 5 yrs on the 4.0 sohc was a nightmare. Once Ford got the bugs worked out, it was pretty dependable. Own one myself, nice & quiet. Runs like a top. But, mine is in my 2011 Ranger.
Well I hope it doesn’t take that long, this is too nice of a truck to get rid of. I don’t know if it’s a big job to replace the DI , but anything to get rid of that winey buzz. Thanks

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Well I hope it doesn’t take that long, this is too nice of a truck to get rid of. I don’t know if it’s a big job to replace the DI , but anything to get rid of that winey buzz. Thanks
Except there is probably nothing wrong, nothing to fix. It is just the way it is.

Rwils31

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Toyota
Just hit 400 miles on my '20 XLT and the electronic buzzing is pretty disappointing to have to deal with. I read up that the lariat engine cover helps mute it out and I honestly can't tell if it helps much since I put it on. The buzzing drowns out really easily but it's still a little disappointing and im shocked more people aren't talking about it. Its really my only actual gripe about the truck, love everything else.
IMG_20200420_183635.jpg

J Krutsch

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercrew FX4
When the truck has been sitting for a spell and then I open the driver's door, there is a Star Trek like sound that comes from under the hood. What is that all about?

caprtaineddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, Corvette, 2020 Ranger Lariat
When the truck has been sitting for a spell and then I open the driver's door, there is a Star Trek like sound that comes from under the hood. What is that all about?
I get that sound as well and have been wondering if the fuel pressure was building up??

20Rapt

First Name
Damian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor 20.25
Occupation
Driver
I get that sound as well and have been wondering if the fuel pressure was building up??
I think I've narrowed it down to the throttle body on Aus Ranger Raptor. If you put your hand in it, it muffles the sound. Why it starts buzzing when we just open and close the drivers door is strange

Michelle

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
Medical
when I first start my truck and then for about maybe 50 yards of travel I have what sounds like heavy fan noise then it stops and the engine is very quiet. Anyone else experience this?
Yes! For about 50 yards it sounds like a roar of a fan! Is that the turbo or what?