ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger lariat sport 501a
Occupation
Orange County fleet maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
when I first start my truck and then for about maybe 50 yards of travel I have what sounds like heavy fan noise then it stops and the engine is very quiet. Anyone else experience this?
yep, its the funky fan clutch
Sponsored

Simplemann14

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger stx
Occupation
Retired
Note it will be louder on Non-Lariat trucks because the engine cover muffles some of the noise. Same on my Focus when I took the cover off for some maintenance, I thought I had a rod knock :)
So what is the actual problem?

Simplemann14

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger stx
Occupation
Retired
I'm curious what my engine is "supposed" to sound like. When I am driving around town, taking it easy on the throttle without the radio on, I can hear two distinct sounds from the engine compartment. I hear the low, throaty sound of the engine and I hear a clicking sound. The clicking speeds up and slows down with RPM and even goes away sometimes (not just when I let off the gas). The interior is very quiet so both sounds get muted a bit but the clicking sound stands out and drives me batty. What do you guys hear when you are driving?
I have the same problem. Warm or cold. Was told it was the DI injector.

Gephro

First Name
Gephro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
vet
I recorded this audio from under the hood. Is this the DI click? Is this considered atypically loud? Nothing to see on the video.

@EcoRanger
I would go to a car yard and listen to others to compare. I for one would hate to hear this racket. My 3.2 diesel started clicking under load before it spun a main but it was from the base of the motor.
In my case I knew something wasn't right but most people probably wouldn't have noticed it and kept driving.
I have a video of it but not sure how to post here.
New motor getting fitted.

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
When people ask me what I think of my Ranger, I tell them the only thing I don't like about it is the engine sound. It's very buzzy and sounds like an older Japanese econo-box 4 banger. But it's quick!

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I actually used the engine noise as an excuse to escape from the dealership after my first test drive in a Ranger. When the numbers they showed me looked too ridiculous I told them the engine was too buzzy, I didn't like truck, and I was probably going to buy a Chevy Colorado.

I felt dirty with that lie but they left me alone! LOL

11 r150

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 ranger 2018 focus eco 2012 fusion 2013 silverwing
Just remember guys, there,s about a gazillion things going on under the hood all the time. I worked on Fords for over 20 yrs. Believe me, whenever a customer bought something new that different technology than they were used to, it took a while for them to understand it. the 4.9 inline 6 was fuel injected i believe in 1987. you could hear the injectors ticking away. Couldn't believe how many valve train noise complaints we had. Once people realized it was normal, the complaints went away.

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2024 Escape ST-Line
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
I'm a retired Diesel and auto mechanic. I do not here anything that is unusual on this engine. I've heard knocking and ticking and wooshing on many different vehicles but not here. You should hear the fan noise on a Cummins powered Freightliner. Now that's LOUD.

Simplemann14

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger stx
Occupation
Retired
I'm a retired Diesel and auto mechanic. I do not here anything that is unusual on this engine. I've heard knocking and ticking and wooshing on many different vehicles but not here. You should hear the fan noise on a Cummins powered Freightliner. Now that's LOUD.
Yes but that’s a totally different vehicle.

Simplemann14

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger stx
Occupation
Retired
Just remember guys, there,s about a gazillion things going on under the hood all the time. I worked on Fords for over 20 yrs. Believe me, whenever a customer bought something new that different technology than they were used to, it took a while for them to understand it. the 4.9 inline 6 was fuel injected i believe in 1987. you could hear the injectors ticking away. Couldn't believe how many valve train noise complaints we had. Once people realized it was normal, the complaints went away.
And I bet them people got rid of the vehicles as soon as they could. For 30 grand it shouldn’t be making that noise
Sponsored