Strange clicking noise when cold

omniphil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
This isn't the normal injector tick, this is more of a scraping click noise.
It isn't tied to RPM or tire speed, its constant at about once every half second.

Seems to go away after 5-10 minutes.
My old Diesel Jeep Liberty had a friction pump for getting the coolant up to temp faster, it sort of sounds like that.

The noise isn't too bothersome, just want to make sure its normal and figure out what it is for my own curiosity.
Sponsored

machinist85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
I haven't heard a noise like that from mine before. Does it sound like it's coming from the engine compartment? Since it's not tied to RPM or speed It would have to be something electrical.

OP
OP

omniphil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
I haven't heard a noise like that from mine before. Does it sound like it's coming from the engine compartment? Since it's not tied to RPM or speed It would have to be something electrical.
It does sound like its from the engine compartment. It sounds like an intentional noise if that make sense. Just more curious what it is...

HarryManback

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Do you have a recording of the sound?

Danny15l

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford ranger XLT sport package 4x4
I noticed during our cold weather about a month ago (30 degrees F) a cold start almost bird chirping/scraping noise from my drivers wheel well. Might be pulley bearings.. the truck has two belts on the front of the engine. The rear belt in mine has smearing white letters (part number and MFG info) like it’s slipping almost. I’m looking into replacing the idlers all around 50k. Currently at 14000 miles. I have the foam engine cover installed on my XLT. It quieted the cold start injector noise quite a bit! But the scraping noise was definitely new and threw me off guard.

It has not done it since.

OP
OP

omniphil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Mine has done this since new when cold and it does go away. It sound like using a plastic spoon to scrape the bottom of a yogurt container. it's not tied to engine rpm tho, it's constant about once every half second. It goes away after a few minutes...
Sponsored