First Name
J J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 iconic sliver
Occupation
Attorney
What is the cost difference between an xlt and lariat?
Sponsored

Swingpure

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
When we bought or Ranger we decided that the XLT was the right choice for us. We HATED the dash on the Lariat, didn't want/need the leather seating, and the push button start is more of an annoyance for my wife on her job. The only thing that we really wanted were the headlamps that are on the Lariat. I did a bunch of research and decided that we weren't going to be happy replacing the XLT headlamp bulbs with LED's. I had LED's replacements in the past and always had issues with beam pattern. Also, our Ranger lives in the dirt 75% of the time and running with no dust-covers isn't an option. We decided to bite the bullet and upgrade to the Lariat headlamps. It's not cheap but since I work at a Ford dealer I can get them a whole lot cheaper than retail. Now we have a Ranger that is no longer missing the only thing we regretted not having. If any forum members would like to order the Lariat headlamp assemblies then message me and I will get you the best deal out there. Here is a video of the installation. Sorry if the quality isn't the best, I don't do a lot of Youtube videos.
Great You Tube Video!

The LED lights were also something I liked on the Lariat, but I also decided on the XLT.

I actually am very happy with the illumination of the XLT lights so I will not be changing, but if I were to, I would certainly follow the instructions and tips in your video.

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Just wanted to share some information. I have been considering doing this upgrade but the funds and just not there right now. Anyways, I added several *mint* condition ones to my watch list on eBay and the seller has sent offers for 50-65% off the listed price (see image). The seller is rendrmtionautoparts.
C0CE80F1-D22D-418E-A741-15657CB1E5D8.jpeg
Thanks Steven and Vince/RangerVA
Got a pair for $400 with tax - with some broken tabs. Hopefully I can figure out a fix!
I guess this is Merry Christmas for me and my Ranger!

Last edited:

MoldyTaco

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
College Professor
Thanks Steven
Got a pair for $400 with tax - with some broken tabs. Hopefully I can figure out a fix!
I guess this is Merry Christmas for me and my Ranger!
Glad the information helped. Depending on the tab you may not have to worry about it. Good luck!

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
You can see the minor damage to the corners and I forgot to mention one of the lights had a missing cap, which I just took off the old headlights and put on the lariat.

237E9294-D3F2-4517-82D3-4149F5065586.jpeg
Vince
Mine are in the mail and have same broken tab. Did this cause any issues?

Last edited:

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Ok another broken tab question - the other light I have coming is missing this tab, outermost at the top. This is the one that uses the phillips HD plastc clip. I cant for the life of me figure out why that is even there!?
I am assuming I dont need to worry about it but as an engineer its DRIVING me crazy as to why they would design in a tab without any function. Much less needing 2 clips per truck to fill the hole!
It goes thru the fend sheet metal, so maybe alignment to the fender?

Phil can you shed some light!

1605892773627.png

y2krtaf

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Aircraft mechanic
Ok another broken tab question - the other light I have coming is missing this tab, outermost at the top. This is the one that uses the phillips HD plastc clip. I cant for the life of me figure out why that is even there!?
I am assuming I dont need to worry about it but as an engineer its DRIVING me crazy as to why they would design in a tab without any function. Much less needing 2 clips per truck to fill the hole!
It goes thru the fend sheet metal, so maybe alignment to the fender?

Phil can you shed some light!

1605892773627.png
That’s the same tab my lights were missing.Mounted with zero issues,and are rock solid.

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Damn
Video is priceless
Quite the task just to change out lights.
Wish I had held off on the Putco lower grill as it block access
Hardest part for me was the damn plastic philips pins in the wheel well.

Lights are much brighter and have a definitive "horizon". The later highlights the Fx4 suspension bounce - looks like shocks are my next big $ upgrade.
Time to learn Forscan!

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
ForScan Updates done! Had some errors that said it did not write but it did and lights work.
Kinda odd that the rears are 100% LED, no bulbs, but the Lariat fronts still have a turn signal bulb. I replaced mine with THIS from amazon, bright as hell and has anti hyper blink resistor built in.

So far one of the best mods I have done! Still need to aim, but they appear to be low so no angry mobs chasing me yet.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
ForScan Updates done! Had some errors that said it did not write but it did and lights work.
Kinda odd that the rears are 100% LED, no bulbs, but the Lariat fronts still have a turn signal bulb. I replaced mine with THIS from amazon, bright as hell and has anti hyper blink resistor built in.

So far one of the best mods I have done! Still need to aim, but they appear to be low so no angry mobs chasing me yet.
Wasn't aware you could or needed to aim your turn signals.

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase

Aleut dude

First Name
Agafangel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2wd Ranger XL
Occupation
Warehouseman
I just ordered a pair from different sellers on Ebay. They should get here the 1rst week in January. Fingers crossed and a huge thanks for all the good info here!
Sponsored