XLT to Lariat Headlamp Upgrade

PJVet

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Yes, this will not be for everyone. $2000 is a lot of money. Let's be honest, if you option out an XLT and a Lariat the same way then you are looking at about a $3500+ difference in price. This is more of an option for the people, like ourselves, who didn't want a lot of the options that came with the Lariat but wanted the headlights. This might be a great option for those XL owners with the STX package. Again, $2000 is a lot of money, but I have had a lot of great help from this forum and I am just trying to give back to the forum members who might be interested in heading down this road.
Hi Matthew,

I'm really interested in doing this conversion. I also was disappointed that we could not get the LED headlamps on our XLT.

But in looking at the part numbers I see that there are 4 different numbers. You state that you work at a Ford dealer so I'm hoping you can help me.

What are the differences between these headlamps?

KB3Z-13008-A Right
KB3Z-13008-B Right
KB3Z-13008-C Left
KB3Z-13008-D Left

Thanks, Mike
Sponsored

OP
OP
earsmccoy

earsmccoy

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Screw XLT FX4 Sport Package & 2016 F-150 Super Crew FX4
Hi Matthew,

I'm really interested in doing this conversion. I also was disappointed that we could not get the LED headlamps on our XLT.

But in looking at the part numbers I see that there are 4 different numbers. You state that you work at a Ford dealer so I'm hoping you can help me.

What are the differences between these headlamps?

KB3Z-13008-A Right
KB3Z-13008-B Right
KB3Z-13008-C Left
KB3Z-13008-D Left

Thanks, Mike
You want KB3Z-13008-A and C. The other two part numbers are for the housing only without the bulbs and dust covers.

y2krtaf

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Aircraft mechanic
Where did you get the headlights from? I want to do this and am having trouble finding them online.
Found mine used off of e-bay.
Bought a pair that had 1 broken tab off of each light assembley for just under 500.The missing tab caused no issues with mounting or how secure they are mounted what so ever
Very happy with the outcome.

PJVet

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
You want KB3Z-13008-A and C. The other two part numbers are for the housing only without the bulbs and dust covers.
OK, I did the swap. But I hate UPS. They gave a delivery date, I tore the front end off, then UPS delayed shipment 4 days. Could not drive the truck.

Man, I don't get the problem. The swap went without a hitch. Easy Peasy!

NOT!!! Whoever said those 2 outer screws on the valance are a PITA was an understatement. Had to pull the skid plate to get to them.

The reverse assembly was a piece of cake. It's usually that way.

But it was worth every pain, frustration, and sweating in 98 degree heat. Love the LED's.

Now to use FORScan and program the DRL's for proper working order.

Thank you 'earsmccoy' for the great video. Made the job so much easier than going alone.

Thank you 'User79', 'slowstang' and 'stockranger' for all your information on the FORScan settings.

Mike

blackcat5RS

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
Just ordered headlights on eBay from redemption auto parts. $800 for the set with make an offer. Let’s see how this goes.

johnrotten84

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL
Occupation
Craftsman
Vehicle Showcase
When we bought or Ranger we decided that the XLT was the right choice for us. We HATED the dash on the Lariat, didn't want/need the leather seating, and the push button start is more of an annoyance for my wife on her job. The only thing that we really wanted were the headlamps that are on the Lariat. I did a bunch of research and decided that we weren't going to be happy replacing the XLT headlamp bulbs with LED's. I had LED's replacements in the past and always had issues with beam pattern. Also, our Ranger lives in the dirt 75% of the time and running with no dust-covers isn't an option. We decided to bite the bullet and upgrade to the Lariat headlamps. It's not cheap but since I work at a Ford dealer I can get them a whole lot cheaper than retail. Now we have a Ranger that is no longer missing the only thing we regretted not having. If any forum members would like to order the Lariat headlamp assemblies then message me and I will get you the best deal out there. Here is a video of the installation. Sorry if the quality isn't the best, I don't do a lot of Youtube videos.
Pardon my query, but do you know if this upgrade is possible on an XL? I am assuming there might be wire harness inconsistencies. Any info is appreciated.

User79

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Pardon my query, but do you know if this upgrade is possible on an XL? I am assuming there might be wire harness inconsistencies. Any info is appreciated.
Yes. Someone posted pics of their install on a XL a page or two back.

OP
OP
earsmccoy

earsmccoy

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Screw XLT FX4 Sport Package & 2016 F-150 Super Crew FX4
It will work fine on the XL. No difference between the XL and XLT as far as the headlamp and wiring harness is concerned.

MoldyTaco

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
College Professor
Just wanted to share some information. I have been considering doing this upgrade but the funds and just not there right now. Anyways, I added several *mint* condition ones to my watch list on eBay and the seller has sent offers for 50-65% off the listed price (see image). The seller is rendrmtionautoparts.
C0CE80F1-D22D-418E-A741-15657CB1E5D8.jpeg

Swishpapasweets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT,1998 Ford Ranger XLT
Yea I kinda regret not buying them when they were on sale but the ones I got were 550 for the pair and were in good condition

mapco

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone else getting random flickering of the low beams? Could be high beams too but I can't tell. Seems to be completely random and also for a split second. If you're not paying attention you'll miss it. It's very slight but it's definitely happening. Might be once every 5-10 minutes or so.

Swishpapasweets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT,1998 Ford Ranger XLT
Yea I noticed that here and there not sure what would cause it tho

y2krtaf

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Aircraft mechanic
Anyone else getting random flickering of the low beams? Could be high beams too but I can't tell. Seems to be completely random and also for a split second. If you're not paying attention you'll miss it. It's very slight but it's definitely happening. Might be once every 5-10 minutes or so.
None whatsoever,and mine have been installed for a couple of months now.
I know for a fact I would have noticed any as I drive mine mainly at night since I work third shift.

RangerVA

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
None whatsoever,and mine have been installed for a couple of months now.
I know for a fact I would have noticed any as I drive mine mainly at night since I work third shift.
Same here. No issues with mine.
Sponsored