XLT to Lariat Headlamp Upgrade

Virtualdanno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
Mine are here now as well, I think I paid roughly $800 for the pair, bought separately. Only one had any damage at all, and it was just a small piece of a clip in the rear that was broke off, honestly could have happened in shipping. They will go on this weekend, I'm pretty excited.
Sponsored

Virtualdanno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
Finally got it done. I’m sure a lot of you have seen the video on YouTube that I think one of the posters on this thread uploaded. I want to add a little bit to that. The outer two bolts of the valance are super freaking hard to get off. I recommend you getting something flexible to get to that bolt. If you have an air dam on like me, it’s a stone cold bitch. You have to get under the vehicle and take them off from behind the bumper but they face forward.I had a flexible extension with a right angle. Even then it was a pain in the ass and I had to loosen it with a small ratchet first. The extension and the right angle helped a lot to get it back on though. The valance took about 30 minutes to get off and about two minutes to get back on. I’m done. 3-4 beer job.

8A2F50E0-49AD-4D95-B6BF-B79D481CCF18.jpeg

2EC29579-8B7C-48F4-8D26-CE8657E78DBD.jpeg

EC0BFBDE-1885-4A76-BB8D-D4F1872E8A8F.jpeg

370FF5AC-10BC-4ECE-A3CB-2186048DFCEA.jpeg

Virtualdanno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
. Here is a video of the installation. Sorry if the quality isn't the best, I don't do a lot of Youtube videos.
@earsmccoy By the way, Eric, thank you very much for that, it was hugely helpful. With that being said, I would be a huge liar if I didn't admit to you that under my truck, wrenching my shoulder out of its socket, trying to get off those outer valance bolts, that I didn't consider doing horrible things to you for not warning me that I was going to want to just push my truck into a creek between taking those two off. I was literally doing 1/16 ratchet turns. My shoulder is actually sore today. Kidding aside, thank you for putting the video up, couldn't have done it without that. :clap:

Last edited:

Scott C

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4X4
Occupation
Driver
Thanks again to the OP for the video. Swapped mine out yesterday. Is there any other option for turning the DRL leds on? I don't have a laptop or access to Forscan. Thanks

y2krtaf

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Aircraft mechanic
Someone please tell me I can make this swap in my 2020 XL.

If so,I will indeed make this happens since I work graves,and would really like the better lights for night drivivng

RamblinnMann

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT FX4
Occupation
Design Engineer
Someone please tell me I can make this swap in my 2020 XL.

If so,I will indeed make this happens since I work graves,and would really like the better lights for night drivivng
This should work on your XL no problem. The connector is the same across all trim levels.

Just got this done today and I will reiterate what was said above that the outer two bolts on the valence are a pain in the ass to get off! I didn't take off the skid plate, but had to take off the small front mud flaps (and left them off) in order to get to these bolts. I think it looks better without them anyway.

My headlamp housing had some cracks but I was able to repair it with silicone so that it would still be dust and water tight.

Still have to go in and play around with FORscan to make the DRLs work full time, but I'm really happy I did the change. The truck looks great! I'll post a few pictures if people are interested.

I think this is a great upgrade, and it was a fun project to get the front end disassembled, despite some pain and discomfort with weird snaps and angles.

y2krtaf

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Aircraft mechanic
This should work on your XL no problem. The connector is the same across all trim levels.

Just got this done today and I will reiterate what was said above that the outer two bolts on the valence are a pain in the ass to get off! I didn't take off the skid plate, but had to take off the small front mud flaps (and left them off) in order to get to these bolts. I think it looks better without them anyway.

My headlamp housing had some cracks but I was able to repair it with silicone so that it would still be dust and water tight.

Still have to go in and play around with FORscan to make the DRLs work full time, but I'm really happy I did the change. The truck looks great! I'll post a few pictures if people are interested.

I think this is a great upgrade, and it was a fun project to get the front end disassembled, despite some pain and discomfort with weird snaps and angles.
Good to hear as I went ahead and bought a pair of light assemblies that should arrive Friday.

Also have the connector to play in Forscan coming as well.

Virtualdanno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
So interesting thing today... I finally got around to doing the Foscan changes last night in my driveway, just have been too busy and needed to upgrade my Forscan copy from back when I had a 2015 F150. Made the necessary changes. This morning, on my way to work, I noticed I was getting a very fast blinker on the left turn signal. Got to work and tested in the parking lot. So, inside, fast click, but outside, the turn signals appear to be operating normally, normal speed. I verified that my LED's are now my DRLs, so I know I put the changes in correctly. Has anybody experienced this?

DHMag

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew cab, 22 Wrangler Willys
So interesting thing today... I finally got around to doing the Foscan changes last night in my driveway, just have been too busy and needed to upgrade my Forscan copy from back when I had a 2015 F150. Made the necessary changes. This morning, on my way to work, I noticed I was getting a very fast blinker on the left turn signal. Got to work and tested in the parking lot. So, inside, fast click, but outside, the turn signals appear to be operating normally, normal speed. I verified that my LED's are now my DRLs, so I know I put the changes in correctly. Has anybody experienced this?
What changes did you make in forscan ?

When I was trying to change from 3 signal flashes to 5 signal flashes (from the f150 spreadsheet), it created hyperblink on both of my signals. I do not remember which code it was though.

Virtualdanno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
What changes did you make in forscan ?

When I was trying to change from 3 signal flashes to 5 signal flashes (from the f150 spreadsheet), it created hyperblink on both of my signals. I do not remember which code it was though.
From Post #112 on this thread, i made the same changes.

726-26-02 needs the * number to be a 0 for factory LED (it’s 1 for halogen and 2 for other) xxxx xxx* xxxx

726-45-01 * numbers changed to 7F to enable all DRL options xxxx **xx xxxx

726-50-01 change the only 4 numbers to 108E which chooses the dedicated DRL

coblueberryranger

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
IT Consultant
Vehicle Showcase

726-26-02 needs the * number to be a 0 for factory LED (it’s 1 for halogen and 2 for other) xxxx xxx* xxxx

do those options give anyone else an incorrect checksum error and they just hit continue anyways and it works? I got mine to work through the simple menu but just want to validate thats how others are doing it

User79

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT

Those are the old settings that we were using from the f150, they were giving some people BCM errors. Post 121 has the most recent settings
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/xlt-to-lariat-headlamp-upgrade.2750/post-124198

OP
OP
earsmccoy

earsmccoy

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Screw XLT FX4 Sport Package & 2016 F-150 Super Crew FX4
@earsmccoy By the way, Eric, thank you very much for that, it was hugely helpful. With that being said, I would be a huge liar if I didn't admit to you that under my truck, wrenching my shoulder out of its socket, trying to get off those outer valance bolts, that I didn't consider doing horrible things to you for not warning me that I was going to want to just push my truck into a creek between taking those two off. I was literally doing 1/16 ratchet turns. My shoulder is actually sore today. Kidding aside, thank you for putting the video up, couldn't have done it without that. :clap:
Ha! Honestly, I don't recall those bolts being such a pain but perhaps it was so bad that I am subconsciously blocking out the memory. I am glad the video helped and thanks for the shout out.

OP
OP
earsmccoy

earsmccoy

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Screw XLT FX4 Sport Package & 2016 F-150 Super Crew FX4
Thanks again to the OP for the video. Swapped mine out yesterday. Is there any other option for turning the DRL leds on? I don't have a laptop or access to Forscan. Thanks
No problem, enjoy your new lights!
Sponsored