Wireless Charging Install

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
@DirkM I have a question for you. I've been using my phone wired in and have been thinking more about doing all the wireless mods. I have a Samsung Galaxy S22 right now (I don't think that matters too much) and I don't care much for the horizontal method of keeping the phone and eating up all of the space of the cubby.

I put my phone into the cubby lengthwise (same axis as the length of the truck) so the top tips down into the cubby and the bottom sits higher on the console. This method is handy because it keeps the phone from moving. At all.

If I do a wireless conversion, I'd like to keep this method of holding the phone, but would need a base for it to rest on that would hold the wireless charger in place

I'm not concerned with the existing USB ports being exposed with this alternate method. I'm also not concerned about the loss of a spot to hide the AA Wireless module (though there is a little space under there so the module might still fit underneath) because I plan to hide the wireless AA module behind a dash panel as others have done.

Do you have any interest in working to print a base that would match how I desire to hold my phone?

DirkM

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 2021 Audi Q5 PHEV
I played with that idea in the early days but I could never get it to look right. The bracket with charger is at least 10mm thick and if you turn the wireless charger 90 degree, the bracket will stick out about 2 inches closer to the shifter. I never got that to look right and also could not get a tight fit so that it doesn't wobble.

You could get the wireless charging pad from ebay (this or this) or Amazon and play with it. Several layers of card board cut to size and glued together is usually a good start. Once you get something that fits and looks ok, pm me to see if it can be converted to a printable model. And if not you could use the wireless charging pad in my bracket as is.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
I played with that idea in the early days but I could never get it to look right. The bracket with charger is at least 10mm thick and if you turn the wireless charger 90 degree, the bracket will stick out about 2 inches closer to the shifter. I never got that to look right and also could not get a tight fit so that it doesn't wobble.

You could get the wireless charging pad from ebay (this or this) or Amazon and play with it. Several layers of card board cut to size and glued together is usually a good start. Once you get something that fits and looks ok, pm me to see if it can be converted to a printable model. And if not you could use the wireless charging pad in my bracket as is.
I might play around with it and get back to you if I find something that works. Being able to hold my phone this way is strongly preferable.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Did a little prototyping today with some scissors and some scrap coroplast. Everything works and is all wired in. I may tweak the little platform a bit if I need to, but it's not a bad proof of concept to hold the phone a slightly different way. There's a little space under the platform that might fit a wireless AA dongle.

Biggest thing I could see for a potential tweak would be a couple of tabs to hold the phone on the platform and also to keep the platform from sliding. It may not be a problem, but a little extra security isn't necessarily a bad thing.

52111291390_b2761ce8bd.jpg

DirkM

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 2021 Audi Q5 PHEV
Interesting idea, I see a few issues though.

This would only work for normal sized phones, no Max or other XL sized phones bigger than about 6.1/6.2 inches diagonal unless the pad is moved closer to the shifter.

How would you make the bracket for the charging pad stay where it is supposed to stay (right side of the center console), there is nothing to squeeze it in-between (unless you glue it on somehow). One option would be to make it wider but it will still be difficult to make it sit tight.

It would block the right USB port unless the bracket holds the pad more horizontal (above the little edge).

And last but not least, the car wireless logo would be sideways.

But I will play with the idea a little and see if I can come up with something.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Interesting idea, I see a few issues though.

This would only work for normal sized phones, no Max or other XL sized phones bigger than about 6.1/6.2 inches diagonal unless the pad is moved closer to the shifter.
Yeah, I just have a regular Samsung Galaxy S22. I don't think I could tolerate a max sized phone. My phone is very nearly the same dimensions as the charging pad.

How would you make the bracket for the charging pad stay where it is supposed to stay (right side of the center console), there is nothing to squeeze it in-between (unless you glue it on somehow). One option would be to make it wider but it will still be difficult to make it sit tight.
So far in the limited driving I've done to the store and back, nothing has moved. I think mostly the weight of the phone presses everything into the textured bottom of the tray just enough to keep movement at bay. Plus, the edges of the coroplast help grip that textured bottom. It did occur to me that a horizontal spacer of some sort to keep the pad positioned might be a good idea, and maybe a little tab above the tray to keep the phone in place might be necessary for more spirited driving conditions.

It would block the right USB port unless the bracket holds the pad more horizontal (above the little edge).
For my phone, everything fits just well enough that blocking the usb port isn't an issue. When the AAWireless dongle shows up, the blue cord will be replaced with the cord for the module, and the cord does seem at least somewhat to help hold the phone in place. I've always placed my phone in this orientation, and it works well enough.

And last but not least, the car wireless logo would be sideways.
Meh, I don't care about that. I might even black out the logo or use acetone to take off the white. No need to draw attention to it. Could even carefully peel the rubber off to extract the charging coil and stick it to the underside of a more finished looking platform.

jflogerzi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD/Tow CG MY22 Ranger XLT 2WD, Track Car FRS 2013
@DirkM I have a question for you. I've been using my phone wired in and have been thinking more about doing all the wireless mods. I have a Samsung Galaxy S22 right now (I don't think that matters too much) and I don't care much for the horizontal method of keeping the phone and eating up all of the space of the cubby.

I put my phone into the cubby lengthwise (same axis as the length of the truck) so the top tips down into the cubby and the bottom sits higher on the console. This method is handy because it keeps the phone from moving. At all.

If I do a wireless conversion, I'd like to keep this method of holding the phone, but would need a base for it to rest on that would hold the wireless charger in place

I'm not concerned with the existing USB ports being exposed with this alternate method. I'm also not concerned about the loss of a spot to hide the AA Wireless module (though there is a little space under there so the module might still fit underneath) because I plan to hide the wireless AA module behind a dash panel as others have done.

Do you have any interest in working to print a base that would match how I desire to hold my phone?
I use his 3d printed pad with my AA Wireless dongle under it without issues.

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ford ranger tremor
Occupation
Diesel tech
Hello everybody I am new to this forum I just received my 22 ranger tremor and found this thread for the wireless charger and console bracket and I must have one can someone please tell me how to message Dirkm to get one I don't know how to use the forum this is the first time I have ever been on any forum thank you for any help.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Hello everybody I am new to this forum I just received my 22 ranger tremor and found this thread for the wireless charger and console bracket and I must have one can someone please tell me how to message Dirkm to get one I don't know how to use the forum this is the first time I have ever been on any forum thank you for any help.
Go to one of @DirkM messages and hover over his name - a box will pop up where you can "Start Conversation" which will send him an IM:

1655475013876.png

His bracket is HIGHLY recommended....

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ford ranger tremor
Occupation
Diesel tech
Thank you RedlandRanger. I appreciate all help this forum is great I can spend all day reading these threads.

GeoTank

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Sr. Production Test Technician
I should be getting my 22 XLT any day now and was reading this thread... Dirk should be hearing from me soon I expect. I guess I'm under the false impression that the SYNC3 was a wireless connection already. I came here looking for wireless charging only but I assume I should research the CarLinKit or AAWireless dongles as well, correct? any preference for an iPhone user?

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer / IT Admin
I should be getting my 22 XLT any day now and was reading this thread... Dirk should be hearing from me soon I expect. I guess I'm under the false impression that the SYNC3 was a wireless connection already. I came here looking for wireless charging only but I assume I should research the CarLinKit or AAWireless dongles as well, correct? any preference for an iPhone user?
AAWireless is for Android only and CarLinKit is for iPhone only

maxbottomtime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT SCAB 4x4
Thanks, I just figured that out while looking them up. Amazon Day has the CarLinKit at $75 instead of $130, about 42% off
It goes cheaper. Look at slickdeals for details (search).

I've used one the entire time on my 21, no issues. Have ahd to unplug to reset it maybe once every two months, easy enough. My wife has used one in her hyundai also, similar great performance.
Sponsored